Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed: hotel security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles, SPG, Hhonours, Hyatt
Advice needed: hotel security

Since I am relocating to London, my firm has put me up in a serviced apartment till I find my own flat. There is no concierge or porter, and housekeeping is done weekly. Yesterday, a customer representative went into my apartment to deliver a small smoke detector while I was out. I never thought he could walk freely into my flat as I was only made aware of the weekly housekeeping work. In fact, others usually just left their deliveries outside the door or in the mailbox.

I have all my luggages laid open in the flat, eg my personal belongings (incl bank statements, check books and passwords) and my valuables (watches and jewelries) were only hidden but not locked up as there is no safe.

I have emailed the service apartment and asked them (incl the housekeeper) not to go into the flat without my presence. But still I don't know if this guy may have searched my place or looked at my personal documents. There is no proof, but I still feel that my privacy has been seriously intruded and am very concerned of the security of myself and my valuables.

I need advice on what I should do next. Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
You might want to consider renting a safe deposit box for your valuables.

If there are repairs to be done or deliveries such as smoke detectors to be made, I would imagine they need to go in even if you aren't there. But even if not, leaving all your valuables in plain sight seems unnecessary and a temptation even for an honest person.
I would hope your company would subsidize a safe deposit box but even if not, the box would allow you some peace of mind while you are getting settled.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
I think your concerns are a little overblown...

Most corporate/serviced apartments have contractual provisions allowing them access for things such as maintenance, inspections, etc. both to protect their property AND to comply with building codes and other local laws. Installing the smoke detector may have been required as a code compliance issue, building codes change, what was once ONE smoke detector per unit has become one per bedroom (and one in the hallway).

I'm in a corp apt right now, in a western US state. The on-site team has a key and they have used it most recently to install a CO detector when that became mandatory. Also for inspections as the property was sold recently to another company. If/when Comcast bothers to come by to replace the EOL cable modem, they'll have to let the service tech in. Access can also be a function of local law: in this state on a non-emergency basis they need to give me 48 hours notice. Thinks like checking the appliances for correct operations.

Remember: They own the property, it is a significant asset and they SHOULD be doing the routine things to maintain the asset, same as you would do in your own home...

Also, remember if the individual has 40 apartments to install in, all he does is walk in, screw the unit into the wall, press the test button and leave.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A starting point would be to read the contract for the space. Whether that is between OP and the property or OP's employer and the property, it will likely contain a provision regarding who has access, when and for what. That is what governs.

As others note, this is pretty common. I'm not sure what OP would propose in the alternative and I think the concerns are overblown.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if it's not contractually required, it's good practice for the management team to notify you in advance and schedule any planned maintenance at your convenience when then can reasonably do so. They should also notify you after the fact of who was in the unit, when, and why for any emergency maintenance.

Ideally, their own employees should be bonded and insured as well as any outside contractors who are given keys. If they don't have a continuing relationship with a contractor, then their own staff should accompany the person.

However, I would hope that the OP can trust her employer to have arranged safe and well managed temporary quarters, so I wouldn't worry as much as if I had found the serviced apartment on my own.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by MissCheung
I have emailed the service apartment and asked them (incl the housekeeper) not to go into the flat without my presence. But still I don't know if this guy may have searched my place or looked at my personal documents. There is no proof, but I still feel that my privacy has been seriously intruded and am very concerned of the security of myself and my valuables. I need advice on what I should do next. Thanks
It's a corporate apartment. They're effectively your landlord. They're entitled to go into the apartment they are landlords of to perform work. Most of those companies maintain dozens, if not hundreds, of apartments on their books. Yours is nothing special from their perspective - why would they care about your stuff over anyone else's?

IMO, you need to get over your paranoia about it. And you shouldn't be leaving valuables out anyway because the place could be broken into regardless. You're certainly entitled to ask them to only go in while you're there, and most vendors I know of would be polite enough to attempt to comply if it's during business hours, but you can't easily require it of them: you're not paying for the place and they're the landlord.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
So, it's a serviced apartment, and the guy worked for the management company, and he brought you a smoke detector while you were gone. He didn't steal anything or otherwise disturb your stuff.

What is the issue here? It's a serviced apartment. If you don't want housekeeping to come in, then decline the service and clean the place up yourself. If you don't want people from the management company to come in, even for innocent and useful things like bringing you a smoke detector, then don't rent corporate housing. Since you're paranoid, you should know better than to leave valuables and financial records out in the open.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the rest of the world has to adapt their ways to please you.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
In the UK it is normally obligatory for non-emergency visits to be conducted with 24 hours notice. But it could be overridden in your rental contract.

You may wish to consider a safety deposit box. A few banks in London offer them, but most don't.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if it's not contractually required, it's good practice for the management team to notify you in advance and schedule any planned maintenance at your convenience when then can reasonably do so. They should also notify you after the fact of who was in the unit, when, and why for any emergency maintenance.
Yeah, that's always how it's been when we lived in apartments. While maintenance did have the keys there was always 24 hour notice unless it was an emergency and that never happened.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Honestly you should keep valuables locked up in case of a burglary anyways.

Personally I keep really important stuff (like birth certificate, car title) in a safe deposit box, and less important stuff (like my rarely used CCs) in a safe.

Maybe it won't deter a determined thief, but it at least keeps "honest" maintenance workers honest.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I would never, ever leave my bags sitting open.

All important documents, electronics, etc. should be at least locked inside a backpack or luggage. Why leave a reason for someone to snoop? JMHO
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
my thoughts as well.

Originally Posted by greggarious
Honestly you should keep valuables locked up in case of a burglary anyways.

Personally I keep really important stuff (like birth certificate, car title) in a safe deposit box, and less important stuff (like my rarely used CCs) in a safe.

Maybe it won't deter a determined thief, but it at least keeps "honest" maintenance workers honest.

I do whatever I can to make it difficult for anyone to even be tempted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.