Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Got admonished by Immigration Officer for lack of address

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got admonished by Immigration Officer for lack of address

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Your fact pattern is unique and atypical. Let's think about this for a minute. If you are landing in the USA, you are going to rent a car, drive all day, and then pick a hotel? I would wager that scenario is unlikely for 99.9% of visitors. For the few (including yourself) that do you can simply tell the truth and ask how they want you to complete it. That is why they have CBP officers and not just machines. No need to be insulted.

I find the whole discussion to be much hullabaloo about nothing especially given what is going on at the NSA which is violating privacy of millions in ways that are not easily avoided.

If you don't want the CBP to know where you are staying you can move after the first night. @:-)

Virtually every country I've visited wants to know where I am staying when I first enter the country. It doesn't bother me.
It does not bother me either in the least, when I have an address to go to, I give that no problem. Everyone I know who does a road trip in the US (and is flying in) has done the same as me: just find a hotel when you see how far you can get. Please note that I pick up the pre-paid rental (coincides with my return flight also), so at least there is that.

I did ask what he wanted me to do. The answer was clear: you cannot travel like that, you have to book the first night and tell us about it.

I don't believe I said I was insulted. I was totally taken by surprise though. Never had this issue before, and I still do not understand then why this info is not collected with APIS (or for some of us, ESTA), if it is actually a requirement like that. Particularly, why does the ESTA update form SPECIFICALLY spell out how to complete the "first night address" in the case where you really want to, but don't have one yet.

Anyway, I will change my travel pattern a little bit and attempt to stay out of secondary inspection.

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfosuw
Actually the reason of obtaining an address is to track down passengers who might have been infected in case there's a confirmed case of contagious disease (MERS, SARS, swine flu, avian flu, etc.) on the plane/ship. This is a CDC requirement for international arrival passengers and CBP is the agency obtaining this information on CDC's behalf.

As a law-abiding citizen, I personally don't see any problem of providing an address. In fact, I would like to be among the first to be contacted if they do find out that I might have been at risk of being exposed to a contagious disease so I can seek medical help immediately and not get my family sick.

Of course criminals, terrorists, smugglers or illegal aliens might think differently....
Do returning US citizens also have to give an address? I did not know that!

Please, before insinuating that I am not lawabiding, please check the original post, and you will see that the reason for not putting down a specific address was that I was at the start of a roadtrip.

CBP even has instructions for those who feel they must complete all the optional fields on the ESTA forms but can only indicate f.x. a city, as they are on a roadtrip. Therefore, I did not expect this sudden no-can-do at the booth.

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
There's a field on the physical Customs form for it. For GE, they don't ask, but I guess that's because they assume that we go straight to our listed domicile upon arrival

Upon arrival at HKG, I listed my address as "HKIA" ... no reaction whatsoever.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I got threatened that if this ever happened again, they would send me to secondary (at best), as they would not believe anything I said about my trip if I wasn't going anywhere.

But he spent many words on saying this!

It still makes no sense to me that APIS and ESTA are both ok without a specific address, yet immigration (on the customs form) is not :-(

And apologies for the slow reply - I was enjoying the no wifi/3g area of a couple of your national parks :-)

DanishFlyer
For non Americans API requires address, even if it is the airport or "in transit to XYZ".
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

So for those of you who might think I am imagining things:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-ind...inal-rule-reqs

This explains how to fill in the apis info in different circumstances (this fit with my carriers info, and they are responsible for collecting apis).

Note also that the carrier should try to ensure that the declaration given to CBP on landing is the same as in apis.

OK. Then.

Still does not add up with my experience this time. But maybe is it just part of never knowing what they are up to :-)

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Personally I'm more annoyed with departure cards requiring address. My home country does this - why should someone be allowed to know when my place is vacant for x days?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For non Americans API requires address, even if it is the airport or "in transit to XYZ".
Well, to the officer I had, it had to be an actual address, see my comment on the link in my post just above.

I didn't leave anything blank.

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Personally I'm more annoyed with departure cards requiring address. My home country does this - why should someone be allowed to know when my place is vacant for x days?
Oh yeah, that is definitely a risk factor! Thankfully, I have not yet seen that.

And if some government rep needed to know your address, they probably could find it anyway.

DanishFlyer.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
This annoys me too. The new card doesn't ask for your name or require a signature, but it asks for the irrelevant detail of your address. Why?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

Please, before insinuating that I am not lawabiding, please check the original post, and you will see that the reason for not putting down a specific address was that I was at the start of a roadtrip.

CBP even has instructions for those who feel they must complete all the optional fields on the ESTA forms but can only indicate f.x. a city, as they are on a roadtrip. Therefore, I did not expect this sudden no-can-do at the booth.

DanishFlyer

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I was not implying you're not law-abiding...But it was disturbing to see a few of the replies (hopefully they were joking) that suggested you to knowingly and willfully put down a random or fictitious address, which in itself is a federal offense (18 U.S.C. 1001). I don't understand the logic behind those who purposely provide a false address, maybe they think that they're very important and a FBI/CIA/NSA agent will be following them home to spy on them... or maybe they're just some shady people who're hiding something....

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes, every arriving passenger or head of household is required to provide a destination address regardless of nationality. Specifically "Address/ Destination" on the form means a physical address, therefore a PO Box is not acceptable.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes, every arriving passenger or head of household is required to provide a destination address regardless of nationality. Specifically "Address/ Destination" on the form means a physical address, therefore a PO Box is not acceptable.
But the address on the customs form has to match APIS, which SPECIFICALLY allows touring address, see the CBP link above.

So something does not match up here :-(

DanishFlyer
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
But the address on the customs form has to match APIS, which SPECIFICALLY allows touring address, see the CBP link above.

So something does not match up here :-(

DanishFlyer
The link was referring to I94 forms (white form) which are for visitors only. Not sure when they have last updated this website but I believe they have gotten rid of this form now. The customs forms (blue form) are for everyone (resident and visitors). I believe APIS does not apply to citizen either, I was never asked to provide an address by an airline when traveling to the U.S. as a US citizen.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:09 pm

You are required to put down the address of the first place you will stay at for your first night in the USA. Does CBP check? Maybe maybe not. Just list the first address you are staying at. Touring in Colorado would be the reason for your stay.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
.... As a law-abiding citizen, I personally don't see any problem of providing an address.....
Sigh.... here we go with that old refrain "if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear"

I rarely know where I am staying because I like to look around before choosing a hotel. So to comply with this requirement I usually grab a hotel address at random in the departure lounge before departing for the USA.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I'm a citizen of the United States with the right to move about and reside wherever I please. How hard is that?
Well, there have been enough stories about US citizens who didn't play ball with immigration and customs officers being sent to secondary for an hour or two to cool their jets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.