DEN: Handswabbing in the Pre-Check Line

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
DEN: Handswabbing in the Pre-Check Line

Seriously, how do they decide when to shunt pax from regular lines to Pre-Check? My guess... randomly.

We headed up the Pre-Check lane with no one ahead of us. Right before we got there, they sent over a family of 5 who had no idea what Pre-Check was (don't take off your shoes!), so that slowed down the process.

I watched them swab the hands of 3 from that family (dad and 2 of the pre-teen kids). When it came to me, he asked me to put out my hands (my fiancee deftly maneuvered around me and avoided it )

Off-handedly, I said, "This kinda goes against the point of Pre-Check... doesn't it?"

To which the TSA guy replied, "... you're Pre-Check? Go on ahead."

This rates a *SIGH* from me.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its part of the random part of precheck. random hand swabs have been occuring in precheck lines since precheck began. Although always linked to a random alarm on WTMD not a swab everyone
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pretty routine stuff. I see it in pre-check in one form or another and have done so long as pre-check has been around and they've been pushing those swabbing kits around on carts.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its part of the random part of precheck. random hand swabs have been occuring in precheck lines since precheck began. Although always linked to a random alarm on WTMD not a swab everyone
Definitely not tied to the WTMD, as he was before the conveyors.

Originally Posted by Often1
Pretty routine stuff. I see it in pre-check in one form or another and have done so long as pre-check has been around and they've been pushing those swabbing kits around on carts.
I must be lucky then... I've seen the carts, but have only been swabbed twice AFTER the WTMD randomly alarms. They might as well just swab us before we check in too.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:19 am

So the swab comes up with a positive while you're standing in line. Can the TSA force you into the private room when you've not yet gone through the WTMD? How are they going to do that?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Silver
They do it at LAS constantly and they pick me every time. Walking with purpose and appearing to look like you belong there seems to make no difference.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:36 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
I've been in PreCheck line at DTW and seen TSA require hand-swabs of every pax in line. I have even been required to have the hand swab before I got to the WTMD.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:43 pm

Last time instead of swabbing my hands they swabbed
the inside of my bag. First time I have experienced that.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
So the swab comes up with a positive while you're standing in line. Can the TSA force you into the private room when you've not yet gone through the WTMD? How are they going to do that?
This is a good question. The TSA has said before that once you're in the checkpoint, you're stuck there and have to complete screening, but where does the checkpoint begin?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by KDS
I've been in PreCheck line at DTW and seen TSA require hand-swabs of every pax in line. I have even been required to have the hand swab before I got to the WTMD.
Mrs Bob H had to have her hands swabbed recently and it only took a minute...

They said it was a random check.

Still it was faster than taking shoes off and putting them back on.

Bob H
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems to happen on a random basis in the PreCheck lane. 100% normal. The metal detector randomly picks the passengers.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Just went through PreCheck at SAT. They were doing random swabs at the very beginning of the line, in fact before the ID and boarding pass check. No apparent system other than maybe head count as they did the three people in front of us, skipped my wife and I, and started again with the couple in line behind us. Obviously I didn't stick around to see what the pattern might have been. The medal detector picked me for a random bag check but all they did was open one compartment of my backpack and glance in it. Quick and simple.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by exerda
This is a good question. The TSA has said before that once you're in the checkpoint, you're stuck there and have to complete screening, but where does the checkpoint begin?
I believe the check point begins after the TDC because that is the point of first contact with the TSA. I have left the check point once I am through the scanner. My bags have left the check point once they are available to be picked up. YMMV.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:50 am

This happened to me while I was travelling to IAD with the family (infant + toddler), and I'm guessing the hand thing was because we weren't "real precheck" passengers. Maybe a routine thing to keep the line full?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ari
This seems to happen on a random basis in the PreCheck lane. 100% normal. The metal detector randomly picks the passengers.
Now in some airports JFK (AA) and LAS (UA) the metal detector randomly picks passengers for Scope and/or Grope. I dont mind the hand swabs as much after dealing with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.