Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Help fill Dissertation survey - biometric in hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Hello, I would really appreciate if you'd complete my survey about YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE USED BIOMETRIC TECHNOLOGY IN HOTEL. Examples of biometric technology are fingerprints scanner, iris scanner and also face recognition devices. This survey would really help me to finish my study at college. it is okay if you don't know what to answer just put any answer, that will also help because the more the better. Looking forward to your help , Many thanks!!! I really appreciate it!!

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=skzf7y3cqmfo9un348996

Last edited by zetty; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flyertalk, zetty.

It might help us to know a bit more about you, where you're from, what your discipline is and your dissertation topic.

Good luck on your survey!

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I did your survey I think it leaves a *LOT* to be desired.

Use biometric technology for what? Your questions are awfully vague.

While I have basically zero personal experience with biometrics I've seen others use it--and the error rate was far too high. I've also seen multiple people have a very hard time getting prints from my wife (admittedly back in the paper & ink era) because her prints are so tiny. How would a biometric scanner fare with her?

Also, you ask about using biometrics to store sensitive information--I suggest paying attention to the news. Data breaches normally involve going around the password, not through it. Biometrics are fuzzy, there is no way to use them as an encryption key, they're just a password that's part of you.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
While I did your survey I think it leaves a *LOT* to be desired.
Starting with the fact the participants are self selected.

If I were peer reviewing the results, that would give me all the justification I need not to approve it and even worse, anyone giving you outside funding should know better.

Bob h
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
There isn't a single question that accurately describes the use of the technology, or fails to confuse the sensor tech with the back-end data comm and storage systems, or otherwise demonstrates fuzzy thinking and a flawed grasp on survey design. And I'm not a survey designer, but I do volunteer on a few panels where I take them. Results from this survey could not be used to make any useful business or tech decisions. A college-level class that accepts this sort of data is a horrible example of course quality.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:45 pm
Suspended

I have a few questions:

1.) I don't see any mention of an IRB - what institutional review board gave you permission to perform a human subject experiment?

2.) What university are you affiliated with?

3.) Who is the supervising faculty member on this project?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It looks like the opening post has been deleted.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Biometric technology

hi..thanks for all your reply..sorry i did not reply earlier..there have been some problem in my home..anyway, i will try answer all the question in this one post..My actual dissertation topic is FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE GUESTS' ATTITUDES TOWARDS ACCEPTANCE OF BIOMETRIC TECHNOLOGY IN HOTEL.. i am a student in hospitality industry..from where i come from (developing country), biometric is commonly being used by the government institution or any private organization to monitor their employees or for the security purposes..therefore, i am conducting this study to know whether hotel's customer will be able to accept biometric technology if it is being installed in hotel to assist them during the stay..about the survey instrument, i got it from previous researchers who had conducted study in biometric or technology acceptance related to new technology..thank you
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
the OP has answered some basic questions.

If you'd like to complete the survey, please do so . If not just skip the thread. Thanks.

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by squeakr
If you'd like to complete the survey, please do so . If not just skip the thread. Thanks.

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Sorry for being unclear. The survey (presumably in the first post) is not visible.
Old May 3, 2014, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Sorry for being unclear. The survey (presumably in the first post) is not visible.
Sorry about that, I just noticed it wasn't showing for all so I approved the first post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.