Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Expanded ACARS monitoring-- Which airlines subscribe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Now we know that Malaysian Airlines does NOT. Without inserting speculation on that incident, it reportedly has safety benefits (or at very least is a deterrent to hijackers because it automatically transmits data to satellites). This Reuters article discusses the benefits of expanded ACARS service.

While I have a feeling we don't have all the information due to intelligence reasons, the media is currently saying that the automatic hourly "pings" don't have much value without a paid subscription.

I imagine I'm not the only one who would really like to know which airlines are (and by default, are not) skimping on that service. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:06 pm

it seems to be it would be better for the airline industry if every plane had it enabled, but if they wanted access to the data, they would have to pay for it. In other words, it would be always on, stored at the manufacturers facilities, even for those airlines that did not pay....

but i suppose that could potentially open them up to lawsuits saying they knew about problems before they were found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.