Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redress number question : do I need/want one?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Redress number question : do I need/want one?

Hi all.

Let me quickly explain my situation :

Flight from YUL to MIA : unable to print boarding pass at home. Arrive at airport, get SSSS, along with a not-so-nice US customs agent (could be a coincidence, but I highly doubt it). On our way back, no problems. It was aleatory after all!

A few months later

Flight from YUL to PLS, connecting at YYZ : unable to print boarding pass at home . Déjà-vu. Thought it was a good idea to go 3 hours in advance to the airport for our flight. At the airport the airline employee explained that my name was similar or identical to another person who has problems with TSA, and since we're flying over the USA, then TSA flags me. She had to call their head office and homeland security to clear me for the YYZ-PLS leg. We spent 1 hour at the counter with the nice lady, which got my wife and I a $20 voucher for airport food (even though it's not the airline's fault). Not bad, but still a PIA. I was glad I planned for a 3 hour cushion.

On our way back from PLS to YUL, connecting at YYZ : same thing. Airline employee had to make that "phone call" again and seemed nervous at my sight. I told her it was something I was used to, and I knew who she was calling (thanks to her colleague in Montreal explaining the situation). Why do they even try to hide what they're doing? Made me feel like a criminal getting investigated . Ugh...

We're planning a trip to Hawaii in October and would love it to be hassle-free, especially that we have 2 connections each way.

Question is : do I need a redress number?

Furthermore, do I want one? Are there any disadvantages of getting one?

There aren't any recent threads about this subject (most recent one was from 2011).

Comments? Opinions?
Old May 5, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I had one before Global Entry existed and it made things better. It's not a 100% but it did cut down the BS. I too was associated with a no fly person's name. When I found out the details I was livid. Spelling not nearly close enough to confuse us. Also being a then 20 year old white 6 foot tall college student I don't think I could be mistaken for someone 5 inches shorter, 30 years older and black.

Advantage: high probability of things going much more smoothly.

Disadvantage: giving over your personal info to the United States of Paranoia Government

Verdict: "The Terrosits" have won and this might help keep hands off you and wasting less of your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.