Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Global entry ?

Not really Delta related. Arrived ATL early this afternoon, got my Global Entry receipt, proceeded to baggage claim and recovered my luggage, beelined for the GE exit point. CBP officers motioned to go the other way through the regular line. When I get there I see a confused look on the agents face, she says: "Where is your declaration? Did you go through the line? I said no, this is a Global Entry receipt, she gives me a deer in the headlights look. I'm getting ready to say something I might regret when she figures it out and motions me through. I'm wondering why these people are getting paid if they aren't aware of their own programs? Sorry, just venting.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
In general does GE get one through more easily than using the DM arrivals aid by DL?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
In general does GE get one through more easily than using the DM arrivals aid by DL?
Nope, I much enjoy the DM arrival when it's offered. Haven't experienced it in ATL pretty much only JFK. For $100 for 5 years it's stll a great deal even if DM arrival experience is occasionally offered.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
GE means you don't have to care if there is a DM arrivals team or not.

Arriving in LAX, at least last year, there is no one to greet you. GE gets you out quick and easy (assuming you don't have to wait for luggage).

I can't recall if the GE exit point was well-signed last time I came through ATL. That was after waiting forever for checked luggage...

If you do have DM arrivals assistance you may have to wait for other DMs who are futher back on your plane (if you are in BE and they are back at row 44).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I am currently in the application process, awaiting interview. My rationale was this... I do a fair number of short trips without checked luggage, and GE might someday mean the difference between a missed connection and a successful connection. If that happens just once in 5 years, then it will be worth the $100 to me!

With checked luggage, it matters less. Even with a line at passport control , there is always at least some wait for luggage to come down the chute at JFK or ATL. And at BOS, I have never encountered significant passport lines.

I will need to apply for my wife as well. It will do little good if I can get through GE and she cannot.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
GE has been good for me in BOS, JFK, LAX, and ATL. Of course, I still find that the TSA/Security Check in ATL's E Terminal is still the biggest hang up regardless of whether or not I have checked bags.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
Originally Posted by rwoman
GE has been good for me in BOS, JFK, LAX, and ATL. Of course, I still find that the TSA/Security Check in ATL's E Terminal is still the biggest hang up regardless of whether or not I have checked bags.
I was just through ATL E terminal last week, 45 minutes throught customs, I was really thinking GE would be great. My trip through the line finished up with the guy in my line taking about 15 minutes with the agent ... I think he was taking a citizenship exam. TSA/Security took 2 minutes with no line!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion
Global Entry has only ever saved me time at passport control and never at customs.

Once a customs agent (at JFK Term 4) told me that I could cut the line with a GE receipt, but the next time I asked if I could cut with it I get a flat no.

Yesterday coming into JFK T3, there was no separate GE exit at customs and had to wait on line with the herds.

I actually sent my Diamond greeter away yesterday after thanking her for meeting me because I said I didn't need her.

Will Diamond greeter wait with you for luggage (took 30 minutes after printing GE receipt yesterday) and take you to front of customs line?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium elite
What is the DM greeter/arrivals team program? I travel internationally at least once a month and connect mostly through ATL. I have been a charter Diamond medallion and have yet to meet them. Since this DM greeter seems to be a rare species I may go with GE, have been thinking about it and it seems a nice feature (I rarely check luggage)...
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I find GE to be a great benefit when my arrival follows a few widebodies. When I am first in the line, which I typically am, it saves little time, but does avoid the questions about why I live outside the US. GE already knows why and don't seem to care. I love GE, but just to avoid talking with the immigration officers.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I am currently in the application process, awaiting interview. My rationale was this... I do a fair number of short trips without checked luggage, and GE might someday mean the difference between a missed connection and a successful connection. If that happens just once in 5 years, then it will be worth the $100 to me!

With checked luggage, it matters less. Even with a line at passport control , there is always at least some wait for luggage to come down the chute at JFK or ATL. And at BOS, I have never encountered significant passport lines.

I will need to apply for my wife as well. It will do little good if I can get through GE and she cannot.
+1. I always carry on and fly BE. I always have a connection and I am type A so no line is most important.

Biggest bonus is the look on the remainder of the BE passengers as I wisp through Passport Control.

I have Privium appointment next month, so will be have same plus through AMS. It was told to me that CDG is going to start this as well.

Anybody heard anything about this?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Arkbulldog
I have Privium appointment next month, so will be have same plus through AMS. It was told to me that CDG is going to start this as well.

Anybody heard anything about this?
What you are thinking of, I suspect is PARAFES:
http://www.parafes.immigration.gouv.fr/en/

The "who's concerned?" section points out that it is open to almost everyone in the EU+Switzerland who is a citizen or have permanent residency. It has been expanding and promises to be a big benefit for those who are eligible.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
What you are thinking of, I suspect is PARAFES:
http://www.parafes.immigration.gouv.fr/en/

The "who's concerned?" section points out that it is open to almost everyone in the EU+Switzerland who is a citizen or have permanent residency. It has been expanding and promises to be a big benefit for those who are eligible.
Thanks for the info. Can't wait until US citizens can take advantage of this, as I connect through AMS or CDG almost every TATL.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Arkbulldog
Thanks for the info. Can't wait until US citizens can take advantage of this, as I connect through AMS or CDG almost every TATL.
+1. So do I, that is why I monitor the site. A couple friends have used it since it bagan at CDG 2E and love it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
+1. So do I, that is why I monitor the site. A couple friends have used it since it bagan at CDG 2E and love it.
Friends = european union citizens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.