Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Will my 10oz. prescription ointment clear TSA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I have a tube of ointment that is several times the size of the 3 oz permitted amount. The container is slightly bigger than a large container of tooth paste. If I bring this with the labeled box with prescription note that it came in, will it make it through tsa?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by steve4031
I have a tube of ointment that is several times the size of the 3 oz permitted amount. The container is slightly bigger than a large container of tooth paste. If I bring this with the labeled box with prescription note that it came in, will it bake it through tsa?

Thanks.
Doesn't your first sentence answer your question?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i take the box.....have never had a prob w/a 10 oz tube....
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

My first sentence does not answer the question . . .

Originally Posted by mike2200
Doesn't your first sentence answer your question?
I researched the TSA website for information about medication. I saw the phrase "a reasonable amount of prescription medication", and I was asking for peoples experiences with this. I prefer not to have to spend the money on a replacement prescription. [Unduly personalized comment deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Yes, I had the prescription with me, and I declared the medication. However, this was in the early days of the hysteria. There is no longer a guy posted where you can declare your medication, at least I never see him any more, at my airport. In theory, yes, it is supposed to be permitted if it's your medicine. In practice, yes, I have done it before. Down on the ground in the real world? I would definitely not assume it would make it through, as it looks like nowadays you would be completely dependent on the whim of an individual officer. My best suggestion is to get to the airport early and if you get static, be polite and insistent. It's easier to be calm when you have a lot of time to straighten out the question. And good luck.

A reasonable amount should be what your doctor thinks, not what a TSA officer thinks. But I would not have risked it except that I had a last minute prescription, and even one day's supply was a really large container. Way more than 10 ounces!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:14 pm

With an rx label in your name you should be fine.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You are allowed to take the med if you have a prescription with you. As Peachfront notes, you may run into a clueless TSA drone, and have to politely push your case by involving a supervisor, so it is smart to plan a bit of extra time for that.

Or just transfer 3oz to a different tube. Or check it.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the assistance.

It seems like I have a decent chance unless I cross paves with a rogue agent.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
[Conforming edits made by Moderator to reflect since-deleted post.]

OP - I have had success in passing a full-sized bottle of med through screening on several occasions. You DO need to run it through separately in a bin or dish by itself. As noted above, you might get a clueless drone that doesn't know the rules. If that happens, ask for a supervisor. It might help if it was a new, unopened tube or bottle.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:56 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

After editing the thread title to make it clearer and more specific, and editing a sub-thread re an unduly personalized remark, I'll now move this to the Practical Travel Safety Issues forum for more discussion as this is essentially a TSA issue. Happy Holidays, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I have brought medically necessary liquids in my carry on many times, mostly without a prescription label. The TSA usually insists on testing the substance before clearing it. Often the substance doesn't even show up in the X ray, and fortunately a medicine I use for a chronic condition stays inside my carry on bag and is never flagged.

Just stand your ground, use the term "medically necessary" and you will be fine.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
I have brought medically necessary liquids in my carry on many times, mostly without a prescription label. The TSA usually insists on testing the substance before clearing it. Often the substance doesn't even show up in the X ray, and fortunately a medicine I use for a chronic condition stays inside my carry on bag and is never flagged.

Just stand your ground, use the term "medically necessary" and you will be fine.
There have been a couple of common points over the years:

1. Don't let them tell you what's a reasonable amount. Every so often a clerk will make the determination that you "don't need all that medication for a short flight." There have been many of us who have challenged them by asking where they got their medical degrees and reminding them that practicing medicine without a license is a felony;

2. Some clerks will attempt to open, and potentially contaminate, your medications. Don't let them do that! If they must, let them do their swab test on the outside of the container, after you have made them change gloves and test them before handling your meds.

3. Definitely have your prescriptions with you if you are traveling outside the U.S..
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Have never, ever, never had an Officer question the quantity of a prescription med and it's been at least 5 years since I've actually been asked to provide a copy of the prescription.

2. I do, however, keep meds separate from my 3-1-1 baggie and put them in the bin in their own bag marked "prescription meds."

I wouldn't give this a second's thought.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is this 10 oz tube labeled 10 oz liquid, or 10 oz nt weight. presciption meds are usually packaged by tonnage, not by liquid quantity.

which brings the question, i have a number of 170 grams(that is 6 oz weight) tubes of prescription med. how does tsa determine if they are go or no go. there is no volume measure on them.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
One tube is reasonable. I've done it many times. You don't need to tell them what it is for. Just state it is medication up front. They may swab the exterior of the tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.