Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre Sign up - Documents for 15 Year Old in CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

Hello everyone - just wanted to check on the documents required for my 15 year old son to sign up for TSA Pre? We're in California and he only has his birth certificate and a photo ID for high school.

Thanks in advance,
- Tom
Old May 29, 2019, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to the Applying for Precheck for 13 yo without photo ID? thread, your son will need to show a government issued photo ID. Does he have a passport?
Old May 29, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
According to the Applying for Precheck for 13 yo without photo ID? thread, your son will need to show a government issued photo ID. Does he have a passport?
Thanks for the replay. He doesn't have a passport, only a birth certificate and the school photo ID.

I did see that other thread earlier, but looks like they're talking about an Arizona issued ID, and just curious what people in CA are doing? Looks like I may have to get some sort of state issued ID (no driver permit for him yet either).

- Tom
Old May 29, 2019, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring to the AskTSA answer to the Tweet:

I am not aware of any California state issued photo ID for individuals younger than 16, the minimum driving age.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:04 am
Original Poster

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/738386319374745600

I am not aware of any California state issued photo ID for individuals younger than 16, the minimum driving age.
Thanks again for the quick replies!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:20 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/738386319374745600

Per their website, the California DMV issues ID cards to non-drivers of any age. I believe this is the case in most states.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Per their website, the California DMV issues ID cards to non-drivers of any age. I believe this is the case in most states.
I stand corrected.
Identification Cards

DMV issues identification (ID) cards to persons of any age. The ID card looks like a driver license (DL) but is used for identification purposes only. A regular ID card is valid for six (6) birthdates from the date of application, and a senior citizen ID card is valid for eight (8) birthdates from the date of application.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cbn42
If OP is going to the hassle of getting a DMV ID it may make as much sense to go get a passport for the child instead. And then apply for global entry. The documentation necessary for an ID isn't far short of a passport, which you can apply for at most post offices.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
...which you can apply for at most post offices.
Which have much shorter lines than DMV offices; however, with some exceptions, both parents must be present when a minor under 16 applies for a passport.
tstauck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.