Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which MMW's have been "updated"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Which MMW's have been "updated"?

Does anyone know where I could find information on which MMW scanners have been updated with the new Gumby software? (And, please, I am not interested in debating the perceived benefits -- or lack thereof. I just want to know which airports have gotten the new software.) Thanks in advance!

kathy
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Is There Really A Change?

I like the idea of a stick figure that can be viewed by the psngr&screener BUT I doubt that the real graphic nude image is still not being storedsomewhere. IF something happens they will go back and view the scans and in that case they will need some way to identify the "stick figure".
Even if they told me that images are not saved I choose not to believe them!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've seen them at LAS and SLC.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bajajoes
I like the idea of a stick figure that can be viewed by the psngr&screener BUT I doubt that the real graphic nude image is still not being storedsomewhere. IF something happens they will go back and view the scans and in that case they will need some way to identify the "stick figure".
Even if they told me that images are not saved I choose not to believe them!
I agree that they raw images are being stored away in case of an event. However, they don't have names to put with the naked pix, and probably only store a week of so of scans, and likely never look at them unless there is an incident. This may be reasonable privacy for many of us. However, we can never expect to know the truth from this pos organization.

However, I believe they are still employing goons in the backroom to review the images, to check the accuracy of the ATD software, and maybe eliminate some false positives. If Germany's experience is any indication, they alarm on wet underarms, bunched up clothing, etc, setting off an alarming number of false positives, which with TSA would require pat-downs and would be bad PR. Software updates take forever, and TSA is in PR hole, so I think they are manually reviewing in parallel with ATD until the software improves.

Just Sayin'
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Wimpie
However, I believe they are still employing goons in the backroom to review the images, to check the accuracy of the ATD software, and maybe eliminate some false positives. If Germany's experience is any indication, they alarm on wet underarms, bunched up clothing, etc, setting off an alarming number of false positives, which with TSA would require pat-downs and would be bad PR. Software updates take forever, and TSA is in PR hole, so I think they are manually reviewing in parallel with ATD until the software improves.
One way to tell would be to see if the TSO is wearing the radio headset, but I suppose it is possible that the human in the room could be deleting the "problem boxes" after a manual review. I would have far less concerns about watchful eyes if the frosted glass rooms were dismantled.

I haven't been in an airport with MMW machines since the software upgrade, so I don't know whether or not the peepshow equipment is still in place in the frosted glass room.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I've seen them at LAS and SLC.
You saw it, huh? How? Did you try to get through at security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.