Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New gauntlet to jump over at IAD...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
New gauntlet to jump over at IAD...

Last two times through IAD, the TSA has had an additional screener checking ID and boarding pass after you go through the TDC. An additional 30 seconds of delay.

One called it "quality control", the other said "I don't like it any more than you do".

They've also added some kind of "structure" above the podiums used by the document checkers. I couldn't see anything obvious that would justify thousands of $$$ being spent to build this "archway". All it seemed to have is more overhead lighting.

Worser and worser.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Last two times through IAD, the TSA has had an additional screener checking ID and boarding pass after you go through the TDC. An additional 30 seconds of delay.

One called it "quality control", the other said "I don't like it any more than you do".

They've also added some kind of "structure" above the podiums used by the document checkers. I couldn't see anything obvious that would justify thousands of $$$ being spent to build this "archway". All it seemed to have is more overhead lighting.

Worser and worser.
Wondering if it's going to start looking like CBP, with individual lines, solid base and glass windows, and computers...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Wondering if it's going to start looking like CBP, with individual lines, solid base and glass windows, and computers...
Don't forget the guns...

I saw this same contraption a few weeks ago.. How much did that cost? Was it really necessary?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL UA
I noticed that a couple of weeks ago. I kept asking my brother why are they checking people's boarding passes after they just went through the ID check? I mean, it couldn't have been 5 feet past the ID check that another smurf was standing asking people to see their BPs and IDs again.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:30 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
They've also added some kind of "structure" above the podiums used by the document checkers. I couldn't see anything obvious that would justify thousands of $$$ being spent to build this "archway".
Maybe they're testing some contractor's new voodoo device.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
I kept asking my brother why are they checking people's boarding passes after they just went through the ID check?
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that it's TSA's reaction to the recent incidents of passengers getting onto aircraft with non-matching IDs and boarding passes. Doing the check twice presumably makes it less likely that such an event could happen directly again.

[Insert "but I could use any other boarding pass to board the aircraft anyways" argument here.]

[Insert "but the incidence of this sort of event is so rare to begin with, isn't this a waste of resources" argument here.]

On the whole ... I guess I'm ambivalent. If pulling a screener to double-check documents means there are less screeners assigned to other duties of even less worth --- like roving beverage tests or gate-side ID checks --- then this might actually be a good thing.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Well, it looks like I'm gonna slow down the process as I have it down pat that once the TDC is done with me, my I/D & asking me to state my name, I have everything in my jacket pockets with my jacket ready to be folded and placed in the little grey bin (and that includes my BP) so if a TSO wants to look at my BP, their gonna have to wait until my bags clear the x-ray machine and I'm done with my shoe secondary as since I can't touch my belongings until I'm cleared from my secondary, I'm not about to have a TSO go thru my belongings until I'm able to properly watch what they are doing.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by goalie
Well, it looks like I'm gonna slow down the process as I have it down pat that once the TDC is done with me, my I/D & asking me to state my name, I have everything in my jacket pockets with my jacket ready to be folded and placed in the little grey bin (and that includes my BP) so if a TSO wants to look at my BP, their gonna have to wait until my bags clear the x-ray machine and I'm done with my shoe secondary as since I can't touch my belongings until I'm cleared from my secondary, I'm not about to have a TSO go thru my belongings until I'm able to properly watch what they are doing.
Don't worry about slowing others down. Have now seen that the line keeps moving and those who are pulled aside go to secondary. If anybody is inconvenienced, it's you and that's certainly your choice.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by goalie
Since the same thing reported by the OP happened to me at IAD recently, I can assure you that you won't have time to put away your BP and ID before they ask for it again. It was less than three steps past the TDC when I was asked for my ID and BP again. The second screener was actually standing close enough to the TDC podium to read my BP while it was being checked the first time.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Maybe they're testing some contractor's new voodoo device.
It's the new "Kissing Booth"... Pucker up!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
It's the new "Kissing Booth"... Pucker up!
Oh, I pucker all right, every time I see those eager little blue gloves coming my way...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
I wonder if one could have fun with this by presenting a ready-to-go, second, non-scribbled-on boarding pass to the second checker.

Just say "the guy over there didn't do anything, and told me to move along" and let the fun ensue! (Just think, if enough of us did this we might be able to get the TDC fired resulting in one less TSA to deal with...)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Don't forget the guns...

I saw this same contraption a few weeks ago.. How much did that cost? Was it really necessary?
I doubt they'll be getting guns with as many felons as they have working for them. They wanted to have sworn LEO's at checkpoints but that was quickly denied (thankfully).
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
the more things change...

From Great Moments in FlyerTalk TS&S, c 2005:

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
My favorite from the current crop of idiots: EWR Terminal "A": THREE looky-sees of the boarding pass in the WTMD line, and that's after the non-english-speaker from "Prospect Airport Services" grunted at me at the boarding pass checking station. I asked why exactly she had to see the same boarding pass that TWO other TSA workers within 20 feet of her had checked in sight of her and within the preceding 45 seconds. The socratic response:

"I not dem. Dey not me" with the approproate sideways rocking of the head.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
All this talk of new fake hoops we have to jump through, and pat-downs and fake things in the name of 'security' at the airport got me thinking...where have I heard these rants before? And then it hit me: Lewis Black.

In 2002, Lewis Black did about 10 minutes on airport security on his "End of the Universe" album that absolutely killed. And the frightening thing is, it's 9 years later, and except for a few things, it still works. Here, for your reading pleasure, is the painstakingly transcribed text of that routine, in tact save for sanitization of various cuss words. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Lewis Black - "Airport Security", from The End of the Universe
The safest place to travel from - I did it this year - a few months ago - Macon, Georgia. No place is safer. Unbelievable security. In a waiting room that's this big, they have the equipment there, and there are 5 people - 2 of the National Guardsmen, 3 security people. The most amount of people that can fit in there are the most amount of people that can get in one of those little Buddy Holly [expletive] planes they got - is 15 people. So there are 15 of us, 5 security people - I think we got it covered. It's 1 person for every three people - son of a [expletive] - I wish that was a classroom.

They looked - they sent all my stuff through, and then - as they do now - they randomly pick someone for a search. And I get picked a fair amount, and it doesn't bother me at all, 'cause they say it's a lottery, and I never win a lottery, so when it happens I go "WOO HOO! I won, SUCKERS!" And they searched my bags, and then I walked……to HERE. Where they would take my ticket before I get on the plane - WHERE…they have a random search. YOOHOO! They did me again! They did it again! No more than nine feet apart, they looked through my bags twice. That's the safest flight I was on. 'Cause - son of a [expletive] - who knows - I might have been trying to blow myself up today!

We went from utterly [expletive] airport security to sort of [expletive][expletive] airport security. There's been no change in airport security. Airport security at this point is completely psychotic. It has nothing to do with reality. We have never had a lick of common sense. We didn't do [expletive] before, and now we respond like, "OH [EXPLETIVE]! WE GOTTA DO EVERYTHING! We're gonna have somebody here who just READS about security while people are going through! And someone'll sing a SONG about it!" It's [expletive] unbelievable!

I was in Newark Airport, and I watched as a mother of 2 - she's traveling with twins - they're 2 years old - OK? And she's alone, and they told her to put her strollers on the conveyer belts so they can be x-rayed. Why? WHY?!? WHY?!? WHY?!? And I've had arguments in lines with people and I'm gettin' this close to…some sort of "problem"… "Well, Lewis, we just don't know" - YEAH, we DO know - we know that a mother with twins isn't going to be [expletive] with anybody - at what point does a mother with twins have time to trundle down to the wood shop and turn the stroller into a WEAPON, [expletive]?!? If the kids looked a little malnourished, I'd buy your [expletive] theory. And if you've got a stroller that's a weapon - figure it out - how long's it going to take a 2 year old to find it? "Look mommy!" (explosion sound) You don't [expletive] with that mother, you get her on the plane as quickly as possible and make sure those kids are happy, because the only terrors she's bringing on that plane are those two little [expletive]s.

What's she gonna do? Let's say she's carrying a weapon. Let's say she's got a…she's carrying something in her bra. At what point is she going to make this happen? Huh? At what point is she going to turn to the person sitting next to her and go "Well, you hold Frankie and you hold Estelle - I gotta go to the cockpit and kick some [expletive]."

I was in Omaha, Nebraska, which is PARIS compared to Raleigh, Missouri - and it was there that I saw an elderly woman, late 70s, weighs about 85-90 pounds, frail, being pushed through the airport in the airport wheelchair. She was mobile…a lot of the elderly they take through the airport now, because a lot of the elderly may be mobile, but she was the kind of mobile - if you went like this, she'd fall down. THEY PATTED HER DOWN! I am not making this down. They patted her down. They patted her legs, and then they patted her bird-like arms, then they pushed her over and patted her back because I guess they were searching for a hump. Where she might have hidden some weaponry. And then, in an extraordinary moment, the gentleman who'd been patting her down brought over a female security guard who looked like the warden in one of those lesbian prison movies. She patted…the bottom of the wheelchair. She patted the woman's [expletive].

And as I watched this, I thought, you know, it's always important - remember this - bring rawhide with you. Because when you see something like that, your immediate reaction is "HEY! YOU [EXPLETIVE] STOP IT, YOU [EXPLETIVE] MORONS! BACK OFF! BACK THE [EXPLETIVE] OFF!" But you can't do that. Because…your journey will end. So you bring the rawhide, and you put it in your mouth when you see that, and you twitch for a while. And then, uh, that works in your favor, because they think you're having a seizure, so they put you at the front of the plane.

The two people who patted her down should have been immediately taken away for psychiatric care, 'cause the stress of the job had gotten to them. They reached a point where their paranoia had overtaken them. There's no reason that you examine this woman. Because the enemy may be unscrupulous, but they are not masters of disguise. Anyone who cannot lift their own bag and put it into the overhead - anybody who can't do that…that's it - you go on board. We don't need to search them. We don't need to search them. We need to search people who might be strong and can pull [expletive] off. That's the deal. That's the deal. They have made us completely nuts. They have won on that level. They have made security crazy on a level that's just stupid.

The most amazing one I saw was a woman in a motorized wheelchair, OK? Can't walk. Can't walk. CAN'T [EXPLETIVE] WALK. What's she gonna do - spit on ya? She can't walk. Does she need a sign? She's in a motorized wheelchair. Maybe she shoulda had a sign in 8 different languages - "Can't walk (gibberish). Can't get out of the chair. Impossible - need help." It'd be one thing if she looked strange. She didn't look strange. It'd be one thing if, you know…she looked, literally, striking gray hair, uh, beautiful dress on, wonderful jewelry, very dignified looking - the way I'd describe her, and it's the only way that I really can figure out to make it very specific - she looked as if Protestantism had sprung from her womb. They x-rayed her bags and said they had to take a closer look, because I guess she had, like, a nail clipper and would just go berserk. What's she gonna have in the bag, a FLAMETHROWER, [expletive]? It's one thing if she was in a clown costume. And her orange wig was askew, and the makeup was all [expletive]ed-up. You know? And she had a little monkey on her lap and she was playing with its [expletive], OK? Then I'm right with you. Let's go through the bag! Let us check the bag! OK, no telling - what, she's got snakes in there, I don't know! You let her through. The reason you let her through is because if the enemy has actually hired her to work for them, they deserve to win.

It's this simple: the machinery in the airports doesn't work, so the whole thing is a moot point. It's an exercise in stupidity. The stuff doesn't work. it never worked. It's not the people, it's not whether the people work for the government, it's all [expletive]. The stuff doesn't work. If it worked, we would catch people. (goofy laugh) I mean, granted, the people thing is kinda important, because in Los Angeles the other day, they actually sent a bunch of people through and then they had to close the airport because somebody hadn't turned the metal detector on. Now, that to me is - first off, you just take 'em out back, and get a paddle, and you spank their [expletive]. You do. You just spank their [expletive] - I'm serious, that's when you give somebody a spanking. And you do it a lot. Until they're crying. I'm serious. Not in front of people, I don't mean to shame 'em, but that's [expletive]…that's the, that's the, that's it. That's the first thing. Turn on the [expletive]. That's the first [expletive] thing!

But the stuff doesn't work. The x-ray machine doesn't work. People have argued with me about that, it's [expletive]. I don't care. It's gotta be really good. It's gotta be something that, when you put something in there the thing goes "[EXPLETIVE] LOOK! HERE IT IS!" OK? That's what it's gotta be. And anything else is [expletive]. I've looked at my [expletive] bag when it's gone through there, and if it's…son of a [expletive], I didn't know I owned a fishing pole! You build a piece of equipment that works, it's that [expletive] important - it shoulda been done before…they don't do it. They build other [expletive]. They build a thing so that we can watch the war at night. That's what we were doing. We're watching the [expletive] war at night. It's night, but it's day! That's [expletive] different from spring & fall! If you can turn night into day, don't tell me you can't figure this out - you're full of [expletive]. Don't tell me that, if in my lifetime, I went from a rotary phone that was so big and so heavy that if a puma came at me I could kill it…and now I got a cell phone that's half the size of this and apparently when you shove it up your [expletive] a fax comes out. So they can build it.

The metal detectors don't work either. I know that. The metal detectors don't work at all. I know that because I go through the metal detector, and then they say, "Um…we're gonna have to check ya." Well, I went through the metal detector. That should be it. But then they need to check ya again - well then that means that doesn't [expletive] work, does it? Alright? So then, they got a thing called a 'wand', and it's the same thing, it's like a metal detector in your hand, and they go "woooooo"…and they do that, and then I'm clear, and then they say "Now we're gonna have to pat you down." Well, then that [expletive] thing didn't work either, did it? And if what you really need to do is pat us down, then pat us down. Pat us the [expletive] down. Don't do this [expletive], don't send me through two fake things that don't work. Pat us down, don't waste the time. Or just have a stick and go "Oooga booga oooga booga".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.