Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and NCIC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
In this case the officer would not have stopped the person unless Reasonable Suspicion had not already been present, i.e., a traffic violation.

That is a long way from running a person just because you feel like it.
Okay, but I just told you that NCIC is a nationwide system. So if I'm a Michael Jackson with the same DOB in NY and the officer has a Michael Jackson in AZ with the same DOB that he runs NCIC, in your logic, how is that not a search against me also?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Okay, but I just told you that NCIC is a nationwide system. So if I'm a Michael Jackson with the same DOB in NY and the officer has a Michael Jackson in AZ with the same DOB that he runs NCIC, in your logic, how is that not a search against me also?
So a search for Michael Jackson with a dob of 7/4/1776 would return every MJ with that dob in the entire country?

Has to be something in it to whittle down the results. IF this is how it works then yes you are searching every MJ.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:57 pm

So a search for Michael Jackson with a dob of 7/4/1776 would return every MJ with that dob in the entire country?

Has to be something in it to whittle down the results. IF this is how it works then yes you are searching every MJ.
DL, SSN, home address, etc., etc. All can be used to whittle the results down. I was almost denied a job because they said I had an active warrant out of Texas.

Now, back to the RS topic. RS is what a reasonable "officer" believes to be suspicious. Notice I say a reasonable "officer, not a reasonable "person". What an officer deems to be suspicious is based on each officers training and experience. So, RS can vary from situation to situation and officer to officer. I know you want a definitive answer to your question, but, like I said up thread, there is no black and white answer.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
DL, SSN, home address, etc., etc. All can be used to whittle the results down. I was almost denied a job because they said I had an active warrant out of Texas.

Now, back to the RS topic. RS is what a reasonable "officer" believes to be suspicious. Notice I say a reasonable "officer, not a reasonable "person". What an officer deems to be suspicious is based on each officers training and experience. So, RS can vary from situation to situation and officer to officer. I know you want a definitive answer to your question, but, like I said up thread, there is no black and white answer.
This is the definition I keep running across. Is it accurate?

Reasonable suspicion is a legal standard in United States law that a person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity based on specific and articulable facts and inferences.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:44 pm

This is the definition I keep running across. Is it accurate?
articulable facts and inferences
That is the key phrase. I have to be able to articulate why I thought your behavior, or the situation was suspicious. Again, this is based on my experience and training. Every situation is different. That is why I love my job. Never a routine.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
That is the key phrase. I have to be able to articulate why I thought your behavior, or the situation was suspicious. Again, this is based on my experience and training. Every situation is different. That is why I love my job. Never a routine.
Not just suspicion but suspicious that the person has been, is, or is about to be involved in a criminal act.

Two very different things.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:01 pm

I don't think so.

I see no reason for an LEO to interact with a person who has done nothing to attract attention or to "search" a criminal database just because the LEO is curious. Searching a database is clearly a search!

Now if RS or PC is developed then I have no issue with doing these checks.

edit to add: I am not anti-LEO. Believe me. But I do think LEO's in general have gone beyond what they should be doing. It is far to common for police to teach a perp a lesson. To shoot first instead of taking less lethal actions. I object strongly for police to have armored vehicles. That is not a police force but an army. I recognize that the threats are real, the bad guys have automatic weapons but some things done by police such as no knock warrants seems wrong to me. Dressing up like Ninjas and attacking in the middle of the night is wrong.

Just to 2 cents.
It is a search of a database it is not a search of a person. If the officer already has a person's information, the person doesn't even have to know that he or she is being run. The only thing that the officer has to be concerned with is that the NCIC check is being done for an official purpose in the performance of his official duties. For instance, I couldn't run my daughters boyfriend just to check him.

FB
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:06 pm

Yes, it would return every MJ with that DOB in the entire country. Their are things to whittle down the results. However, you can only do that after the results come back. Generally, this is accomplished with biographically information (height, weight, prior addresses, soc #) Many times this is why the Law Enforcement officer be it a traditional LEO, CBP, or Border Patrol officer is asking those questions that are many times objected to. He is filtering the information to determined if you are the MJ with that DOB that the warrant came back to.

FB
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:15 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of misinformation in this thread and the issues are being confused.
  1. Simply running a person through NCIC without more is not a 'search' or 'seizure' within the meaning of the 4th Amendment and therefore does not require RS.
  2. Detainng a person for the purpose of running that person through NCIC does require RS as the detention is a 'seizure' within the meaning of the 4th Amendment. The fact that a cop wants to run someone through NCIC does not, on its own, constitute RS to detain that person; rather, the standard RS requirement applies.
  3. Compelling a person to produce an ID is a 'search' within the meaning of the 4th Amendment and therefore requires RS. The fact that a cop wants to run someone through NCIC does not, on its own, constitute RS to compel that person to present an ID or ID oneself; rather, the standard RS requirement applies
So wanting to run a person through NCIC does not create RS to detain that person or compel that person to ID herself, but the act of running someone through NCIC does not require RS. A cop being called to a scene, without more, does not constitute RS. Therefore, a cop walking up to a situation cannot just detain everyone and compel everyone to ID themselves for the purpose of running them through NCIC-- RS for each person is required. However, if that same cop knows the identity of a party or the parties and runs them through NCIC without compeling them to ID themselves and without detaining them, no RS is required. It is really quite simple, actually.

Last edited by Ari; Apr 9, 2011 at 9:41 am
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:35 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Me showing up is RS that something is a foot.
No, it isn't. (And "afoot" is one word in this case).

How so...? I encounter someone....I am going to run them.....
If you want to detain that person or compel that person to ID himself, RS is required. Simply "encounter[ing]" someone is not RS for that. At the same time, running that person through NCIC whithout detention or compelling the person to ID himself (like if you know the name of the person or a person 'voluntarily' presents ID) does not require RS.

See my post above for explanation.

Last edited by Ari; Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
No, it isn't. (And "afoot" is one word in this case).

If you want to detain that person or compel that person to ID himself, RS is required. Simply "encounter[ing]" someone is not RS for that. At the same time, running that person through NCIC whithout detention or compelling the person to ID himself (like if you know the name of the person) does not require RS.

See my post above for explanation.
Thanks for the last two post Ari. Your explanations helped me to better understand.

I find it odd that our LEO types couldn't articulate those things.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Thanks for the last two post Ari. Your explanations helped me to better understand.

I find it odd that our LEO types couldn't articulate those things.
Not odd at all. Those sorts of legal distinctions only come into it later; when the PD or DA decides not to proceed with charges or the case reaches a court of law.

Most cops don't even think of, much less worry about, such niceties in the field since they know full well that the subject is either equally ignorant of the requirement and/or will be sufficiently cowed not to make a fuss about it.

Theory and practice, theory and practice.
Is it too late to bring the two back into line ? Yes, long since.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by Ari
unning
It's running Professor.....

Originally Posted by Ari
Therefore, a cop walking up to a situation cannot just detain everyone and compel everyone to ID themselves for the purpose of running them through NCIC-- RS for each person is required.

Funny....I (along with my co-workers and fellow LOEs around the US) do it all the time....and have had no issues from the Courts......
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Funny....I (along with my co-workers and fellow LOEs around the US) do it all the time....and have had no issues from the Courts......
You won't if the subject turns out to have been involved in criminal activity. That's RAS ex post facto and the courts will invariably let it slide.

That's not what we are discussing (well I am at least). If you do an NCIC check on a completely innocent individual that's between you and your victim; it will never get anywhere near a court. A complaint against you or your PD will be dismissed out of hand.

You have free rein if you want to avail yourself of it, which apparently you do. Still not right but what ya gonna do ?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:31 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's running Professor.....
Called a typo-- a little different . . .

If the issue were squarely presented and you couldn't articulate RS, you would.

However, the issue is rarely squarely presented to a court-- here's why: If you search someone and it is a bad search, the fruits can be tossed out. If you compel a person to produce an ID without RS, that person has a warrant, and you arrest that person, it isn't a 'bad' arrest-- the arrest can't be 'tossed out'. Once you run someone through NCIC and a warrant comes back, barring a mistake on your part, you have PC to arrest that person. So, as far as the guilty are concerned, the issue really isn't going to come up.

As a practical matter, it would only come up in two instances: (1) you arrest someone for failure to ID, concealing identity, or some similar statute and you can't articulate RS, or (2) you detain an innocent person long enough for that person to decide to come around and sue you and you can't articulate RS. When you encounter one of these instances and do what you "do all the time", it will not come down on your side. The argument that 'I do it all the time and it hasn't been and issue' does not mean a practice is legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.