Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection through the US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Connection through the US

I need some info about our upcoming international travel with a connection through the US with our 2 year old:

YEG > YOW > IAD > DOH

1. How long does US preclearance take at Ottawa airport, considering 2 of us are Canadian citizens and one is Australian with a Canadian PR card?

We're traveling AC -- arriving at 6pm. We have an hour and 20 min from when our flight arrives in YOW to our next flight to IAD. Is that enough time?

2. Do you have to take your checked luggage to go through preclearance?

3. Can you opt out of the body scanners at YOW? Do they make toddlers go through the scanners?

4. On the way back our flight arrives in IAD at around 3pm (weekday) from DOH with a 2 hour 15 min transit before our next flight to YOW. Is that enough time to clear custom and immigration in Washington?

How is the US customs and security staff at YOW and IAD generally? We've had to deal with extremely rude custom and security agents at YEG in the past. We nearly missed our flight once because they took my husband aside for questioning for having been born in one of the countries on their 'watch' list. Since then he hasn't been able to check in online for any flights -- domestic or international, so I'm assuming he's on some sort of a 'watch list'.

1. Should we expect similar treatment at YOW and IAD because of that? What happens if we miss our flight in case of lengthy questioning?

2. I've read about applying for re-dress to try and rectify security issues. Should he apply for it before we go? If so, how long does the process take? Does it help?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by ceebs1
I need some info about our upcoming international travel with a connection through the US with our 2 year old:

YEG > YOW > IAD > DOH

1. How long does US preclearance take at Ottawa airport, considering 2 of us are Canadian citizens and one is Australian with a Canadian PR card?

We're traveling AC -- arriving at 6pm. We have an hour and 20 min from when our flight arrives in YOW to our next flight to IAD. Is that enough time?

2. Do you have to take your checked luggage to go through preclearance?

3. Can you opt out of the body scanners at YOW? Do they make toddlers go through the scanners?

4. On the way back our flight arrives in IAD at around 3pm (weekday) from DOH with a 2 hour 15 min transit before our next flight to YOW. Is that enough time to clear custom and immigration in Washington?

How is the US customs and security staff at YOW and IAD generally? We've had to deal with extremely rude custom and security agents at YEG in the past. We nearly missed our flight once because they took my husband aside for questioning for having been born in one of the countries on their 'watch' list. Since then he hasn't been able to check in online for any flights -- domestic or international, so I'm assuming he's on some sort of a 'watch list'.

1. Should we expect similar treatment at YOW and IAD because of that? What happens if we miss our flight in case of lengthy questioning?

2. I've read about applying for re-dress to try and rectify security issues. Should he apply for it before we go? If so, how long does the process take? Does it help?
1. Preclearance at YOW is a breeze. There's hardly anybody there, and you should get through in under 15 minutes (30 if its very busy). The Australian citizen must have his fingerprints and picture taken, regardless of Canadian PR status.. Also, he must register online before traveling with the ESTA program.

2. Yes you take your checked luggage through preclearance.

3. Yes you may opt out of the body scanners, and they will pat you down by hand. Toddlers are exempt anyways I believe.

4. Customs at IAD on your return trip will be more difficult... There are alot of international flights arriving from Europe at that time.. Expect at least a 2-3 hour line... When I flew in from CDG, I missed my YYZ connection which was 2 hours apart.

5. Expect similar treatment at both YOW and IAD.. The folks at YOW tend to be a lot more familiar with Canadians, and the line moves fast. At IAD, most of the foreigners will be non-Canadian, and therefore have to be fingerprinted/photographed, and it will take longer. They may be rude, but if you have nothing to hide, and are truthful they will not do anything to you.

6. Not sure about the redress program..
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:30 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexb133
2. Yes you take your checked luggage through preclearance.
Do you? I haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was, the immigration booth is after security so you part with your bags by putting them on a belt before the preclearance process begins.

The baggage is screened for WEI and a photo of the baggag is taken; when one gets to the immigration booth, the CBPO can pull up a the photo of your checked baggage to help him decide what to do with you.

Is it still this way? If it is, are you sure the bags wouldn't be checked through and cleared this way? I have never transited YOW, but it seems silly that one would have to claim his bags only to drop it on another belt before anyone from CBP even sees it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info, Alexb.

So when you missed your connection because of custom/immigration, did the airline put you on the next available flight? Can the airline refuse to put you on another flight because you missed the connection for a reason that wasn't the fault of the airline?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much for the info, Alexb.

So when you missed your connection because of custom/immigration, did the airline put you on the next available flight? Can the airline refuse to put you on another flight because you missed the connection for a reason that wasn't the fault of the airline?
I can't speak for what happened to Alexb, but as a technical matter it depends on your carrier and the rules of your fare. As a practical matter, however, it is standard practice, to get put on the next flight if you have a C&I delay and you are on one ticket and the original connection abided by the respective MCT.

If you read the conditions of carriage, you can find that some carriers have policies dealing with this instance. I can only speak to the standard practice at the airport-- people mis-connect all the time at IAD due to the midfield CBP and the airlines are used to it and don't go out of their way to antagonize; they just dump you on the next flight that has room.

As far as the redress process, it is for travelers who routinely suffer extended delays and other problems with CBP and/or TSA; if you haven't had a problem, the redress process isn't for you.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Ari's comments are spot-on.

If you're particularly worried about it, can you avoid the US entirely? Make the connection in London, Amsterdam or Paris?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks Ari. That makes sense. I've had missed connections because of delayed flights in the past, but I've never missed a connection because of C&I, so I was unsure.

Global, we've actually managed to avoid US in the past with tighter connections, and opted to go directly from London, but this time, the only airfares in our budget are the ones through the US, which is a bit of a pickle.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Global, we've actually managed to avoid US in the past with tighter connections, and opted to go directly from London, but this time, the only airfares in our budget are the ones through the US, which is a bit of a pickle.
The worst part is knowing what you are paying for this treatment:

•U.S. International Departure Tax - $16.10
•U.S. International Arrival Tax - $16.10
•U.S. Customs Fee - $5.50
•Immigration User Fee – $7.00
•Animal and Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) Fee - $5.00
•Federal Flight Segment Tax - $3.60
•TSA 9/11 Security Fee - $2.50

I don't know how many times they charge you these fees if you just connect in the USA as opposed to originating or terminating in the USA, but you are paying them for this treatment.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Ari
The worst part is knowing what you are paying for this treatment:

•U.S. International Departure Tax - $16.10
•U.S. International Arrival Tax - $16.10
•U.S. Customs Fee - $5.50
•Immigration User Fee – $7.00
•Animal and Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) Fee - $5.00
•Federal Flight Segment Tax - $3.60
•TSA 9/11 Security Fee - $2.50

I don't know how many times they charge you these fees if you just connect in the USA as opposed to originating or terminating in the USA, but you are paying them for this treatment.
LOL!

And the answer to ceebs1, UA put me on the next flight to YYZ. UA/AC are pretty good about it.

Also, you take your bags through the CBP checkpoint at preclearance and drop it off after clearing customs... (After you get your passport stamped, you hand in your customs declaration to the officer... Then you will put your bag (wheels up) onto the conveyor belt).

Safe travels!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexb133
Also, you take your bags through the CBP checkpoint at preclearance and drop it off after clearing customs... (After you get your passport stamped, you hand in your customs declaration to the officer... Then you will put your bag (wheels up) onto the conveyor belt).
At YYZ. Do they now do it that way in YOW, too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.