Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Body scanners have been introduced at Heathrow in line with UK Government requirements which state the following: "For the benefit of all passengers' security, passengers may be required to be screened using body scanning equipment. Screening will be conducted by security officers acting on behalf of the airport operator. Images of passengers will not be saved."
This has been introduced to improve security and refusal to comply will mean passengers cannot fly.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_184728

Body scanners will give airport security staff an increased ability to detect explosives or other potentially harmful items hidden on a passenger’s body.
For the present time only a proportion of airline passengers will be selected for screening. Passengers will not be selected for screening based on their race, ethnic origin, gender or age.
Safeguards have been put in place to make sure that privacy is respected.
However, if a passenger is selected for scanning, and refuses, they will not be allowed to fly.
And, these people are serious, I found a case back from 2010 March saying http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ma...d-body-scanner
Earlier this month two women, one a Muslim, became the first people to be barred from boarding a flight at Manchester airport because they refused to go through a full-body scanner. The women, who were booked to fly to Islamabad with Pakistan International Airlines, were told they could not get on the plane after they refused to be scanned for medical and religious reasons.

Last edited by scoow; Nov 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm Reason: update thread title to reflect permitted opt outs
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Yup, this is known. Same story at Gatwick (North terminal) and Manchester.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
And what if you can't raise your hand???? Say a broken collarbone. A broken collarbone can't even be put in a cast ( I had one twenty years ago ) all they can do is put your arm in a tight sling... so what if i buy a few feet of gauze and sling my arm, then I got my UK opt out?

http://fancydressmagic.co.uk/itemvie...age=browse.asp more seriously, http://cgi.ebay.com/ARM-SLING-POUCH-...#ht_1979wt_913 this is 4 bucks -- what's the worst that can happen? can they arrest you for faking a broken arm?

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:49 pm

I am physically unable to use the scanner and have never been selected to use a scanner in the UK. I generally travel from LHR T1 or T3, MAN, CWL, EDI, GLA (and some of those airports don't actually have scanners)

Then again, I have never actually seen the scanner in use at any of the airports in the UK I use. The scanner is used but apparently far less frequently than in the US.

There is no definitive answer to your question. RadioGirl has tried to get an answer from MAN and the general answer appears to be 'no scan, no fly' (to paraphrase) But chances of being selected are much lower. I suppose worse case is to have a back up plan if required. We've discussed that in several threads here in past.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:21 pm

Yep, the U.K. has been "no opt out" for awhile, but it does bear repeating.

To avoid the possibility of dangerous radiation or becoming trapped in the U.K. on the return trip, I suggest flying into and out of France and taking a ferry or the Chunnel to and from the island.

I suppose you'd only need to fly out of France on the return trip though - they won't scan you if you're incoming, right?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by CelticPax
I suppose you'd only need to fly out of France on the return trip though - they won't scan you if you're incoming, right?
It's possible if one is connecting in LHR for instance to an onward destination.

And to be more precise, isn't it just England which has the scanner, while common sense still reigns in Scotland and Wales?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I don't think the transit checkpoints at LHR have NOS.

To the people who suggest you would be trapped, I suggest you investigate LGW (south terminal), BHX, EDI, GLA, or any of the several other scanner-free airports.

chx1975: I imagine they won't select people with broken arms (selection is done after you have passed through the WTMD by a few officers roaming about.

From my limited experience the NOS is roped off around half the time.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
can they arrest you for faking a broken arm?
If you state during the screening process that your arm is broken when it isn't, you can be arrested for making a false declaration, yes.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by exbayern
It's possible if one is connecting in LHR for instance to an onward destination.

And to be more precise, isn't it just England which has the scanner, while common sense still reigns in Scotland and Wales?
DfT rules apply to Wales and Scotland as well. That is not a delegated function. However, I think you are right, I have not heard or seen the scanners at EDI yet, and haven't heard of them at GLA.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by B747-437B
If you state during the screening process that your arm is broken when it isn't, you can be arrested for making a false declaration, yes.
You don't have to claim a broken arm. Just having an arm in a sling should keep you out of the scanner. A arm sling could be required for many conditions other than a break, conditions that are not visible: rotator cuff injury, a torn tendon, etc., etc., etc., all injuries that keep you from lifting your arm.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
DfT rules apply to Wales and Scotland as well. That is not a delegated function. However, I think you are right, I have not heard or seen the scanners at EDI yet, and haven't heard of them at GLA.
I have not flown from EDI, GLA, or CWL in 2011 but never saw them there in 2010, so am hoping that things remain the same...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chx1975
And what if you can't raise your hand???? Say a broken collarbone. A broken collarbone can't even be put in a cast ( I had one twenty years ago ) all they can do is put your arm in a tight sling... so what if i buy a few feet of gauze and sling my arm, then I got my UK opt out?

http://fancydressmagic.co.uk/itemvie...age=browse.asp more seriously, http://cgi.ebay.com/ARM-SLING-POUCH-...#ht_1979wt_913 this is 4 bucks -- what's the worst that can happen? can they arrest you for faking a broken arm?
Never mind a broken collarbone-how about my torn rotator cuff where I can't raise my right arm above my shoulder or someone (not me ) with severe arthritis who can't raise their arms.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by doober
You don't have to claim a broken arm. Just having an arm in a sling should keep you out of the scanner. A arm sling could be required for many conditions other than a break, conditions that are not visible: rotator cuff injury, a torn tendon, etc., etc., etc., all injuries that keep you from lifting your arm.
That was not the question. The question was whether one could be arrested for "faking a broken arm".
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by B747-437B
That was not the question. The question was whether one could be arrested for "faking a broken arm".
Nope, and any security personal making that claim will be answering questions on where they went to medical school and to see there professional credentials and licensee's.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Nope, and any security personal making that claim will be answering questions on where they went to medical school and to see there professional credentials and licensee's.
Correction: they may be asked questions, but they will be responding DYWFT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.