Search

BB rushes in to cover his employer's back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BB rushes in to cover his employer's back

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/01/foia-req...s-for-lab.html

The images are from a lab and for testing purposes only. The subjects are hired by the lab and compensated for the use of their images for this testing. The machines in our labs store images, and the machines at airports cannot. As you can understand, the machines in a lab setting must have the ability to print and store images so the machines can be tested and the results can be studied. Machines in airports do not need this functionality. Not only do the machines not store images, the person viewing the image is in a remote location and never actually sees you.

Soon, there won’t be individual images at all.

You might be interested in this post about new image-free technology, or Automated Target Detection (ATR)....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that BB had any part of creating that material.

It is pretty clear he is only a puppet dancing on the strings handled by someone else.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:05 pm

These aren't the droids you're looking for

"No really, we'll stop looking at you naked just as soon as we get around to it."
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I doubt that BB had any part of creating that material.

It is pretty clear he is only a puppet dancing on the strings handled by someone else.
You're completely correct, except that I would say he is nothing more than a drone, as in bee or even possibly as in a remote-controlled toy.

However, I couldn't come up with another title on the spur of the moment.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
I'm stunned so many news outlets are readily willing to accept TSA's word that these images are of volunteers made for training. Why would any legitimate journalist trust TSA?

They lied to Chaffetz about the strip search of the child in SLC. They also denied the incident happened with the Austin woman they just had to pay off. I expect they'll also lose in the case of the woman they beat up in ATL.

I wrote Chaffetz' office asking for a full investigation, not that my input will be necessary. He was furious after the SLC incident and I suspect this will just be more evidence when he re-introduces the bill for TSA overhaul that didn't get through the 111th. If the bill doesn't get through he can then tighten the purse strings.

Just a Gates went proactive last week offering up cuts of military spending in hopes of avoiding budget cuts, now we see Pistole trying to soft sell the AIT program in advance hoping to avoid a similar fate. Many members of Congress have already been groped and likely won't have much interest in protecting TSA.

This is the season of government roll back.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
You're completely correct, except that I would say he is nothing more than a drone, as in bee or even possibly as in a remote-controlled toy.

However, I couldn't come up with another title on the spur of the moment.
Seems he put the new post up, tucked his tail between his legs, and sulked off.

I think his days as TSA Moderator are numbered.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

I really hope so! Maybe they'll get somebody that does not sensor free speech...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:48 pm

The 'faces' are blurred in those images because......?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Sock puppets need no strings.

And it's not like they have a shortage of the blue gloves...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I really hope so! Maybe they'll get somebody that does not sensor free speech...
It's more likely that the TSA Blog will cease to accept comments at all and merely become the TSA Telescreen with programming by MiniTruth.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n4zhg
It's more likely that the TSA Blog will cease to accept comments at all and merely become the TSA Telescreen with programming by MiniTruth.
Other than the posting TSA Spin the TSA blog might as well stop accepting readers post.

If I was giving an evaluation for performance of the TSA Blog moderators and how well they ran a blog I would give them a fail and fire the whole crew.

Current comments are running almost 100% anti-TSA.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Fisher1949
Just a Gates went proactive last week offering up cuts of military spending in hopes of avoiding budget cuts, now we see Pistole trying to soft sell the AIT program in advance hoping to avoid a similar fate. Many members of Congress have already been groped and likely won't have much interest in protecting TSA.

This is the season of government roll back.
(bolding mine). I don't think all that many have been groped, and I doubt if those few have gotten the 'real' grope. I think most of them are recognizable (and possibly take pains to be recognized) at their home checkpoints. I don't think anyone from TSA at PHX is going to be singling John Mccain out for a 'random frisk, for example, or selecting him for the NoS. In fairness to the politicians, they don't necessarily have to ask for special treatment - they're likely to get it anyway.

Their spouses, kids, aides, however, are a different story. I believe the New York politician who has introduced legislation to get the NoS thrown out of NYC airports mentioned that his wife had objections and that was what first really brought the issue home to him. The families and staff don't necessarily have the same wide recognition that the Congress person does, so they're more likely to have a bad (real) experience and their input is more likely to be taken seriously.

For all those gutless Congress folks who wanted to pontificate to get airtime when the new frisks were first rolled out, tightening the purse strings on TSA as part of a larger government rollback is an easy way to try to reign in the use of NoS and frisks without taking the TSA on directly. No $$, no additional manpower, NoS roped off, only folks getting frisked are the ones who used to get wanded.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:33 pm

There are NO US tanks in Bhagdad! No tanks! It is pure fantasy to even suggest it!

-Bhagdad Bob (two blocks from a convoy of incoming Abrams)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
The 'faces' are blurred in those images because......?
Well some of us believe that the reason for the blurred faces, in those body scan images, is because they are more graphic than they claim they are and that the person can actually be identified in those images because the highest resolution setting, on those machines, will actually produce a high quality black and white picture that looks just like it was taken with a high quality camera.

Last edited by Lara21; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Lara21
Well some of us believe that the reason for the blurred faces, in those body scan images, is because they are more graphic than they claim they are and that the person can actually be identified in those images because the highest resolution setting, on those machines, will actually produce a high quality black and white picture that looks just like it was taken with a high quality camera.
That's simply not possible! How could any scanner using MMW or x-rays know the color of a person's skin? If you think about the technology, what you're basically producing is a topographical map of the body. It could well have similar details than a picture would, but wouldn't look the same as that picture, among other reasons because the picture may not show topographical details. One can legitimately ask about the level of detail of images, but each will show things the other will not: no picture will look the same as an image produced by an AIT and no AIT image will look like a picture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.