Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does the TSA have(or want) authority over Amtrak and cruise lines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

does the TSA have(or want) authority over Amtrak and cruise lines?

Is this why they're not called the Air Transportation Security Agency?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Of course they want it.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:20 pm

Are they going to give my horse an enhanced patdown? Because it's not like we can't make old time horse and buggy trails.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:24 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by FlyingForSeven
does the TSA have(or want) authority over Amtrak and cruise lines?

Is this why they're not called the Air Transportation Security Agency?
Good God, the very thought makes the blood run cold. I do believe that Napolitano would like to move in that direction.

Chilling sign seen at a local port: U.S. Coast Guard Station, Department of Homeland Security.

Yup.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
TSA, working collaboratively, was at NYC earlier this year - doing security checks as part of an anti-terrorism exercise at Penn Stations, where commuter trains/regional rail lines and Amtrak all run and inter-connect, transferring to/from local subway & bus stations.

Being part of Homeland Security with the clowns running and POTUS blessing, these unarmed uniformed clerks probably has been given authority over rails - it's just a matter of whether they have the extra "smurf"power to do it all the time.

Cruiselines at US ports are watched by CBP and it would not surprise me one tiny bit that TSA would extend their authority by virture of being part of Homeland Security.

It wouldn't surprise me if they would extend the checkpoint & security screening for the bicyclists on 2 wheels over public roads - good Lord !

Civil Disobedience - America's proud Tradition
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:52 pm

Yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2taqlvOlzx0
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
They did searches at Penn Station, which is just laughable given the numerous ways to get to an Amtrak train without using the one escalator entrance that is announced and which was the only one TSA was anywhere near. Given the short peiod of time taken for boarding, their process of checking bags is unacceptable as people will very likely be made to miss the train (unless amtrak holds it, but for how long/how frequently). That's a situation where there will likely be words exchanged as people's patience disappear
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The TSA wanted to take over and expand security for the Washington State Ferries. The WSDOT said "thanks, but we've got it covered" ^ . From this I infer that TSA needs agreement with operators and other LE agencies before horning in (other than at airports).

If NYPD were to tell the VIPR mob to **** off (yeah, as if), would they have to leave ?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The TSA wanted to take over and expand security for the Washington State Ferries. The WSDOT said "thanks, but we've got it covered" ^ . From this I infer that TSA needs agreement with operators and other LE agencies before horning in (other than at airports).

If NYPD were to tell the VIPR mob to **** off (yeah, as if), would they have to leave ?
I'm under the impression that VIPR has to be invited, for reasons that if someone has to be detained/arrested, the local authority has to be present (and agreeable) to process them (what law enforcement agency has authority over the WA State Ferry?). Yet you get a package-deal with the invitation... LEO (FAMs), management (FSD), and operations (TSOs). I'd just be surprised that anyone would be inviting the TSA to their business right now, given all the current press.

Yet when that transportation provider makes that invitation, what do they get? Complete destruction of search/seizure, via administrative search. Look anywhere, any time, any one, any how. Do you want to Ferry today?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
(what law enforcement agency has authority over the WA State Ferry?)
The ferry routes are part of the State Highway system so I would imagine the State Patrol has jurisdiction.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:32 am

Cruise lines have their own security. And it's just as incompetent as the TSA. Found that one out the hard way. I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise this past summer. The day before the cruise left, after arriving in LA, I had to make a laptop repair - RAM went bad, so I had to drive out to MicroCenter and pick up some RAM and the tiny little screwdriver needed to open it (no lectures on taking a laptop on vacation please Its sole purpose was to unload pictures from my camera's memory card each day so I wouldn't run out of room). I left the screwdriver set in my suitcase, and the next day after boarding the ship, I never got my luggage delivered to my room. I inquired and was then told it was being held up at security on the lower deck, so I had to go down there and pick it up. They saw the screwdriver on the X-ray and the guy working there needed to have a little talk with me about why I had it. After discussing it with his supervisor for 5 minutes, they let me keep the screwdrivers. I guess they were worried I'd start taking apart the ship with a screwdriver that was probably too small to repair a pair of eyeglasses with.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

Depends on where the money is. If the guvnah's getting a nice DHS grant to satisfy some re-election statistic s/he's probably got little choice but to contract out ops to VIPR/TSA.

We saw this with EWR. You've got NJ senators who want to ban NoS specifically in their home state (probably because they'll presumably still use common carriers every once in a while) and look what happened to that plan.

Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Good God, the very thought makes the blood run cold. I do believe that Napolitano would like to move in that direction.

Chilling sign seen at a local port: U.S. Coast Guard Station, Department of Homeland Security.

Yup.
Well that's not surprising as USCG was transferred from DOT to DHS after 9/11, with the 2006 additonal proviso that DoD/DN may take command authority after a declaration of war.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:02 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSAscum
Are they going to give my horse an enhanced patdown? Because it's not like we can't make old time horse and buggy trails.
Now here is where I really wish Pistole is wrong about cavity searches
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I'm under the impression that VIPR has to be invited, for reasons that if someone has to be detained/arrested, the local authority has to be present (and agreeable) to process them (what law enforcement agency has authority over the WA State Ferry?). Yet you get a package-deal with the invitation... LEO (FAMs), management (FSD), and operations (TSOs). I'd just be surprised that anyone would be inviting the TSA to their business right now, given all the current press.

Yet when that transportation provider makes that invitation, what do they get? Complete destruction of search/seizure, via administrative search. Look anywhere, any time, any one, any how. Do you want to Ferry today?
You'd be surprised. The VIPR Teams phone is literally ringing off the hook. The FAM's I know who are on a dedicated VIPR Team are constantly in demand by Federal, State and Local LE Agencies.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by TSAscum
Not necessary in my state. Horse drawn carriages are totally legal on all secondary roads. Not sure about state highways. No drivers license required. I was looking into this after I lost my license one time. It would be a totally legal way to inconvenience a lot of people. I wouldn't be above doing something like that if/when the TSA starts doing "random" traffic stops or roadblocks. Horses are expensive though. Nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.