Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA goes mobile - Strip searched as you walk down the street or drive in your car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA goes mobile - Strip searched as you walk down the street or drive in your car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation TSA goes mobile - Strip searched as you walk down the street or drive in your car

This was buried on page 8 of another thread, and I thought it deserved its own thread. If your against the NoS youll just LOVE this!

http://www.ratchetup.com/eyes/2007/0...cale_mobi.html

The ZBV employs AS&E's patented Z Backscatter technology, which reveals contraband that transmission X-rays miss - such as explosives and plastic weapons - and provides photo-like imaging for rapid analysis. The ZBV is also capable of identifying low levels of radioactivity from both gamma rays and neutrons with optional Radioactive Threat Detection (RTD) technology. The ZBV is ideal for counterterrorism applications, as it can detect dirty bombs and nuclear WMD, in addition to conventional explosives.”
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
So much for the folks that say "if you don't like the security, find another way to travel." This technology can be applied at a roadside "checkpoint" anywhere, and you don't even have to get out of your car to be violated.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Is this health hazard horror show already in use?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:37 pm

This will not stand up to judicial scrutiny if it is ever actually implemented.

Kyllo v US settled the question as to whether or not an imaging device capable of seeing through opaque material constituted a search as covered by the 4th amendment and there are dozens of Supreme Court cases in which probable cause is absolutely needed in order to search a vehicle.

The exception is the 100 mile border zone (in which 2/3 of America lives and works), but this technology or its implementation are near the bottom of my list of potential problems with that whole snafu.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Already happening on interstates: http://www.wsbtv.com/video/25201350/index.html

Discussed at the time in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...terstates.html
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It is already rumored to have been deployed on the streets, and I believe EPIC has filed an FOIA request for specifics.

It was also used (stationary) at a truck stop near Atlanta recently.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:38 pm

I guess we have to all start wearing radiation badges now whenever we leave our homes. Welcome to the future. OTOH, can you imagine the fun that could be had with a truck like that? I'd like to park that thing on a busy city street with lots of pretty girls walking by. Finally the real equivalent of those x-ray glasses.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great I feel so much safer, knowing people can't drive around with drugs
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Wink

I think I'll start investing in Travel Safety and Security stocks - by this time next year I ought to be wealthy beyond my wildest dreams with the continued installation of X-ray technology.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by CitizenTerrorist
This will not stand up to judicial scrutiny if it is ever actually implemented.

Kyllo v US settled the question as to whether or not an imaging device capable of seeing through opaque material constituted a search as covered by the 4th amendment and there are dozens of Supreme Court cases in which probable cause is absolutely needed in order to search a vehicle.

The exception is the 100 mile border zone (in which 2/3 of America lives and works), but this technology or its implementation are near the bottom of my list of potential problems with that whole snafu.
One thing that really bothers me about this, is that decision was largely based on the fact that the search, and equipment were not considered to be routine, or commonly available.

If AIT machines start showing up freaking everywhere (which is what it sure seems like), this argument suddenly becomes a lot less valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States
Old Nov 29, 2010, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by AmericanSecurityTheater
One thing that really bothers me about this, is that decision was largely based on the fact that the search, and equipment were not considered to be routine, or commonly available.

If AIT machines start showing up freaking everywhere (which is what it sure seems like), this argument suddenly becomes a lot less valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States
True enough, I guess. But if the Supreme Court were to ever rule that was the case (or deny cert on a lower court ruling in the same vein), I learn to speak Hebrew or one of the European languages and emigrate, because at that point the war is officially lost.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:08 am

You know, PART of the reason some people will surrender to these humiliating, warrant-less, nudiescope and groping searches at airports, BY STRANGERS is precisely BECAUSE they don't expect to have to face the people searching them in a social situation or context.

When these "security measures" start showing up at your local courthouse, it is quite possible that the person peering at your nude body KNOWS YOU and WHERE YOU LIVE. You are much more vulnerable to gossip, rumors, and social fallout from what one of your neighbors saw when examining your nude body or feeling you up at the courthouse. In a local setting, There is no longer the "relative" protection of anonymity when it's your neighbors going through your purse, pockets and briefcase and seeing you nude. Your "fake boobs", little penis, missing nut, tattoos, sex change, colostomy, diaper, mastectomy, nipple or other ring then becomes an item of small town talk likely to affect your relationships.

Last edited by AINITFUNNY; Nov 29, 2010 at 8:17 am
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Some comments over the years I've reard regarding this, will find references when time permits: not powerful enough to penetrate a house structure. only good in the back of trucks if there's canvas or even light wood. not good for metal structures. there are fixed shipping-center units that will penetrate shipping containers, yet I wouldn't want to be standing next to one when it went off. to see inside a metal truck must produce a frightening amount of radiation.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Some comments over the years I've reard regarding this, will find references when time permits: not powerful enough to penetrate a house structure. only good in the back of trucks if there's canvas or even light wood. not good for metal structures. there are fixed shipping-center units that will penetrate shipping containers, yet I wouldn't want to be standing next to one when it went off. to see inside a metal truck must produce a frightening amount of radiation.
I'm sure TSA would tell you that the radiation is no more than you would receive from flying for 2 minutes at altitude.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
That truck was supposingly deployed in NY's Wall Street area not long ago (just don't recall which unit within Homeland Security was "piloting" it as part of a special event and/or anti-terrorism exercise drill to demonstrate the capabilities)

Sure hope whoever's operating that mobile unit is sitting behind a heavily shrouded wrap-around lead shield, I would hate to see all those waves bouncing around especially without the benefit of a dosimeter alert on such a massive scale scanning.

And, in a few years, we will have a new "first responder/homeland security health bill" at taxpayer's expense for all the TSA clerks exposed to high but "legalized" level of radiation. The good news/bad news are, by then, that national healthcare will be in ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.