Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
More Mission Creep

Transportation Security Administration?

TSA to assist with security at CU Buffs game - Boulder Daily Camera

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_16410008

Other students said they support any safety efforts by the university.
GOD HELP US ALL

Last edited by Wimpie; Oct 23, 2010 at 11:17 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If they approached me, I'd tell them to $%&! off! TSA needs to stay in the airport, and not appear on highways, at train stations, or at football games. Maybe a couple drunk guys could take turns tossing around a screening clerk
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:52 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
The comments on the article (23 just now) are ALL opposed to this idiotic expansion of TSA scope. ^ There may be hope for the nation yet.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This does present an interesting question:

And what jurisdiction -- exactly -- would a Federal TRANSPORTATION goon have over civilians attending a college football game on State property?
So, what jurisdiction does TSA have?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:07 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If they approached me, I'd tell them to $%&! off! TSA needs to stay in the airport, and not appear on highways, at train stations, or at football games. Maybe a couple drunk guys could take turns tossing around a screening clerk
TSA needs to get out of the airport and not go anywhere else.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:51 am

This does present an interesting question:

The article doesn't really say what exactly TSA is actually doing. The only thing it does say is that TSA was invited by the local law enforcement jurisdiction. With the exception of the FAMS, TSA doesn't have enforcement powers. I would guess that it if it includes screeners, and BDO's it is for advise or technical assistance if x-ray or metal detectors are being used. It does mention a VIPR operation. If that is the sole purpose, it would be the FAMS being used as a force multiplier by the local law enforcement jurisdiction for security. This is actually a common occurrence in large scale events. It also is not limited to just FAMS many Federal Law Enforcement agencies will provide assistance to local jurisdictions if requested.

FB
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:43 am

Maybe a couple drunk guys could take turns tossing around a screening clerk
...And then the intoxicated individuals can take turns getting arrested after assaulting said screening clerk since VIPRs include both Federal, state, and local law enforcment officers.

TB

If they approached me, I'd tell them to $%&! off!
Gee, if only everyone could be as cooooollll as you.

TSA needs to stay in the airport, and not appear on highways, at train stations, or at football games.
Well, they have the statutory authority for multimodal operations. As far as the football game...they were invited by the locals, so b*itch at them.

TB

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 24, 2010 at 11:02 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
I'm curious......will you only be allowed to bring 3.4 oz of beer in to the game?

And if you purchase your beer withing the "sterile area" of the stadium will the TSA be doing checks of those beverages as you take your seat??

And will the players have to submit to an AIT scanning as they enter the field?

@:-)

Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:15 am

Not sure how many people remember it, but TSA agents were used at many of the political rallies in 2008 where presidential/vice presidential candidates were speaking.

Security at the one event I worked was just about as bad as at the airport. After getting constantly haraSSSSed by the TSA goons at the front door, I looked around the building and found two side doors which no one was watching. Those would become my point of entry/exit for the remainder of the event. Ironically, they were some of the closest doors to backstage, where the candidates were waiting.

And before "opting out" was a common phrase in Flyertalk vernacular, I opted out of a wanding and pat-down by the TSA goons at the door and walked right past them, with much hand flapping and noise made by the TSA folk. A Secret Service agent then stopped me and politely showed me his badge, I showed him my credentials, and that would be the only haraSSSSment I'd deal with that day.

I just hope White House detail is far better-trained than what I saw on the road.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trvlr64
I'm curious......will you only be allowed to bring 3.4 oz of beer in to the game?
Having been to a few CU games, in that ~20 oz cup it sure doesn't taste like there is more than 3.4 oz of actual beer in there.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Creeping the mission is so easy

Didn't you get the SSI Locomotion 101 Memo?

"TSA has discovered that 99+% of football fans walk into the stadium. Walking is a human transporting itself under it's own power, and thus a Mode of Transportation TSA needs to protect from tewwowists. TSA jurisdiction is hereby expanded to include all walking humans everywhere"
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
"We do this at thousands of events all over the country," said TSA spokeswoman Carrie Harmon.

Do you now? Meanwhile back at the airport, you know, that place where screening clerks are supposed to be:

"We test the system. So I know how the system works and it doesn't work," said Congressman Mica.

As for the details on the results of that security testing: "That's classified information," said Mica. "But I can tell you publicly that the results that I've gotten, even of late, with this huge bureaucracy, this huge number of employees, even with this advanced technology, the (security test) results are not good."

I-Team investigator Stephen Stock asked "I've been told that it ranges anywhere from 75 to 90 percent failure rate?"

"Again, I can't quote on that," said Congressman Mica. "But the failure rates are way off the charts.

How about the TSA addressing it's serious shortcomings at the airport before going on wild goose chases, no mater who "invited" them?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:33 pm
KCK

Why should my federal tax dollars go toward the TSA providing security at a college football game in Colorado?

Since the TSA apparently has more people than it needs, its budget needs to be 'right sized'.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, there is NO calling out other members allowed on FT. And we do not allow blanket condemnation of all TSA employees, i.e., calling them all burger flippers, Walmart greeters and the like.

We're removed several posts that violate these rules. There will be some sidelines time handed out as well if we have to step in again on these issues.

Thanks to the 98% of you who play by the rules and are civil to your fellow members even if they happen to work for the TSA/DHS.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Cholula
we do not allow blanket condemnation of all TSA employees, i.e., calling them all burger flippers, Walmart greeters and the like.
I agree -- burger flippers and Walmart greeters actually provide value, and we should respect them by not putting them in the same category as TSOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.