Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying domestically with felony warrant??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
A plea of guilty is equivalent to a conviction after trial.
Not always.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Ari
Not always.
Play doctor, not lawyer. It's more fun and no one cares if you're wrong as you are here.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Ari
Not always.
Example?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Play doctor, not lawyer. It's more fun and no one cares if you're wrong as you are here.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Example?
A conviction is a judgment. A guilty plea is just that-- a plea. After accepting a guilty plea a court must still enter a judgment of conviction in order to make it a conviction.

In certain jurisdictions, for minor offenses, a court can accept a plea of guilty and continue a case for a period of time, like a year for example, and dismiss the case if no other arrests appear. In this case, one plead guilty but there was no conviction-- ever. (This is generally done with the consent of the state though this method seems to have been replaced in many jurisdictions by court diversion programs where one deals directly with the DA and takes classes, pays fines and/or does community service and the DA will nolle prosequi when the requirements are complete thereby not using court resources hence, diversion). Guilty plea; no conviction.

Another example would be in Illinois where we have a disposition of supervision rather than conviction. One can plead guilty to a huge number of offenses here (supervision is actually standard for 1st DUI here and a whole host of misdemeanors) and not get a conviction. Supervision is not a conviction and doesn't create a criminal record-- in fact, supervisions can't even be seen publicy on driving records (so you can have a reckless driving, a speeding 30+ over and a DUI under your belt and an insurance company wouldn't know assuming you were no longer required to purchase high-risk insurance). Guilty plea; no conviction.

A conviction is a judgment; a plea is a plea.

I believe what you mean to say is that a conviction after a plea of guilty is the same as a conviction after a trial and a finding of guilt.

Last edited by Ari; Oct 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Just read another post in here about flying internationally with a warrant. Seems like everyone seems to think that one is different and when flying internationally versus domestically one would be arrested with an outstanding warrant. Interesting.

So if I'm understanding correctly, when flying domestically they don't really run any kind of routine "check" on passengers with any kind of regularity so they wouldn't probably catch an outstanding warrant but on the other hand.....

when flying internationally you would probably get out of the country just fine but when trying to re-enter the country you would get arrested when they saw that you had an outstanding warrant when they "swipe" your passport?

I just find all of this so interesting really. I should have went into law instead of business
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
If you have warrants, take care of them.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justplainme
So if I'm understanding correctly, when flying domestically they don't really run any kind of routine "check" on passengers with any kind of regularity so they wouldn't probably catch an outstanding warrant but on the other hand.....

when flying internationally you would probably get out of the country just fine but when trying to re-enter the country you would get arrested when they saw that you had an outstanding warrant when they "swipe" your passport?
That's essentially correct though not all warrants will show up to CBP and not all warrants that they do see will result in a long-term detention if the subject of the warrant happens to be caught by CBP. (Extradidion involves money and if there is no extradition, then there is a release).

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Ari
That's essentially correct though not all warrants will show up to CBP and not all warrants that they do see will result in a long-term detention if the subject of the warrant happens to be caught by CBP. (Extradidion involves money and if there is no extradition, then there is a release).
That's what happened to my friend. Luckily, AA put the phone number of the DA in the remarks of the PNR, so my friend's girlfriend contacted the DA, who took a closer look at the file and said, basically "I'm not going to extradict over this, but please ask your boyfriend, when he gets a chance, to find a local lawyer and have that lawyer call me to clean this up". But he was still in jail for almost 48 hours.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
That's what happened to my friend. Luckily, AA put the phone number of the DA in the remarks of the PNR, so my friend's girlfriend contacted the DA, who took a closer look at the file and said, basically "I'm not going to extradict over this, but please ask your boyfriend, when he gets a chance, to find a local lawyer and have that lawyer call me to clean this up". But he was still in jail for almost 48 hours.
Exactly; it is not something one should count on, and it will still result in some detention, but it happens quite often. 48 hours is no picnic.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 11, 2010 at 4:46 pm Reason: Calling out another FTer
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:32 am
Suspended

"If you have warrants, take care of them."

I'm sorry, the forum for unsolicited off-topic advice is two threads over.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
OK, for a lets follow the thread for a second. The very first post (it's at the top of the previous page says

Any advice anyone could give on this would be appreciated.
The only possible answer to this issue and to remove any risk is

Originally Posted by coachrowsey

So while you may or may not agree, this was not off topic advice, it is actually the best advice he could receive.

Originally Posted by kh105000

It's really starting to suck around here that whenever somebody sees an answer they don't like they feel the need to make some rude comment about it.

Seriously, the very best thing this person and anybody else with a warrant could do before getting on an airplane, is to get it taken care of. Everything else is a guessing game, but if you get the warrant resolved, it's no longer a guessing game if you will end up being detained or not.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:03 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello all,
I know this is a strange question but I told my friend I'd ask anyways.... I have a friend who has a felony warrant out for his arrest for theft (nothing violent) and he needs to fly back to his home state for his grandmothers funeral. I travel a good bit so he asked me if he thought it would be ok for him to fly from state to state and not be arrested. I told him I had no idea but I would research it for him and see if I could find out. I know that you aren't required to give your SSN when you book an airline ticket but I'm not sure if they cross reference your name and birthdate some other way. Any advice anyone could give on this would be appreciated. This is probably the strangest question I've ever had to ask. I know it wouldn't be a good idea for him to travel internationally at all because of customs but I've never really thought about domestic travel at all.
Thanks in advance!!
Originally Posted by cordelli
OK, for a lets follow the thread for a second. The very first post (it's at the top of the previous page says
Perhaps you should have quoted the whole post for the context above.

So while you may or may not agree, this was not off topic advice, it is actually the best advice he could receive.
Actually, it is the most useless advice he could receive; when is David supposed to take care of the warrants? Before the funeral? The question was about getting to the funeral, obviously an urgent topic, with no time to take care of the warrant beforehand. It was not a general question about warrants yet our LEO community here was happy to give 'advice' on the topic without actually responding to the question asked.

It's really starting to suck around here that whenever somebody sees an answer they don't like they feel the need to make some rude comment about it.
Perhaps if it was an actual answer to the question asked paying attention to the context of the question (which you conveniently excised to make your 'point') then it might have been received better.

Seriously, the very best thing this person and anybody else with a warrant could do before getting on an airplane, is to get it taken care of. Everything else is a guessing game, but if you get the warrant resolved, it's no longer a guessing game if you will end up being detained or not.
Seriously, when is there time to do that before a funeral? Seriously.

Last edited by Cholula; Oct 11, 2010 at 5:02 am Reason: Let's knock off this calling out other FT'ers
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Ari,
Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

Absolutely. And if that means you can't make it to the funeral, then so be it. People have missed funerals for a much lesser reasons than having outstanding warrants.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:37 pm
Suspended

"People have missed funerals for a much lesser reasons than having outstanding warrants."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.