Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA "Show of Force" on Atlanta area interstates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "Show of Force" on Atlanta area interstates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down TSA "Show of Force" on Atlanta area interstates

http://www.ajc.com/news/feds-involve...or-643211.html

"No specific threat." Fantastic. Don't you feel safer?

Probably best not to speculate as to what my reaction would be if "feds and local law enforcement" tried to search my car with no cause.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"This is a live operation intent on deterring would-be terrorists or criminal activity," Nelson Minerly, spokesman for the federal agency, told the AJC.

How can they search any vehicle without a warrant?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This totally disgusting. The Burger Flippers Brigade is now "helping" to fill the inland void where CBP can't harass people.

Herren Himmler und Röhm would be so proud.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
They can't, but they probably intimidate a lot of people into thinking that they can.

Originally Posted by wsbtv
A team of federal agents has been stopping tractor-trailers on Interstate 20 just west of Atlanta, inspecting each truck as it passed through a weigh station, and Channel 2 has learned its part of a counter-terrorism operation.

Channel 2's Linda Stouffer reported a flashing sign on the interstate directed the trucks to pull into a state-owned inspection station near Lee Road in Douglas County at the height of the evening commute.

Channel 2 Action News confirmed that agents from several federal agencies, including Homeland Security, the Department of Transportation, and the Transportation Security Administration were involved. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office was assisting in the exercise.

A TSA spokesman told Channel 2 the event is known as Visible Inter-mobile Prevention and Response, or VIPER, an operation that is conducted with local authorities as a training exercise. The TSA spokesman said the operation is not in response to a specific threat.

News Chopper 2 showed screening devices, dogs and a large drive-through bomb detection machine in use along the eastbound interstate near Lee Road.

Trucks were being sorted into two lines, one with more rigorous screening. Agents used a variety of devices to check the exteriors of the trailers, including a large drive-through machine similar to a security tool used at the Super Bowl, and a tool that measures radiation.
Sounds like they were using the mobile x-ray.

Hello, ACLU? This police state must end.

Link

Video on myfoxatlanta.com

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mrhills0146

Probably best not to speculate as to what my reaction would be if "feds and local law enforcement" tried to search my car with no cause.
Yep, the highway checkpoints I always said would show up. The sad part is the same people are willing to "do anything for safety" when it comes to airports and train stations will say the same about highway roadblocks. The worst part is many will probably be jump at a chance to register their travel plans and submit to random searches on the street. But hey, we're all safer right?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Medals and awards to all involved for sure

I just checked the news. Not a single report of a car being hijacked in ATL today and driven into a downtown skyscraper. Press release from BB and PV praising the "Total Major Success" of today's operation in 5...4...3..2...1..

In other news, Lisa's Rock still keeping Springfield a Tiger Free Zone. . . ^
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Good god.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: SSSSS

I have been encouraged by friends to obtain a CCW permit. Perhaps its time to do so.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
They gots a shiny gold badge and you don't. Welcome to Amerika.
Originally Posted by WChou
Yep, the highway checkpoints I always said would show up. The sad part is the same people are willing to "do anything for safety" when it comes to airports and train stations will say the same about highway roadblocks. The worst part is many will probably be jump at a chance to register their travel plans and submit to random searches on the street. But hey, we're all safer right?
Wait until there are nude-o-scopes at the grocery store.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
What exactly has this "show of force" done beyond impeding interstate commerce? If I was an OTR truck driver paid by miles driven, not time on the road, I would be seriously PO'd. Great job, TSA, on alienating another demographic when you need it least.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I hope they are the recipients of a few airmail "trucker bombs".

"Was this what you were looking for, _______??"
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
They can't, but they probably intimidate a lot of people into thinking that they can.
Just like they do at the checkpoint. I guess the highway is just another TSA dragnet checkpoint.

Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
Good god.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just like they do at the checkpoint. I guess the highway is just another TSA dragnet checkpoint.

+1.

I want my country back.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
+1.

I want my country back.
The jackboots and their apologists aren't going to give it back easily. Every day, they take more and more of it away and give proof of the following: while the filthy totalitarians of the late 1930s and early 1940s are dead, their ways live on and are conquering America several decades later.

What a shame that all of our dedicated opposition to madness abroad hasn't stopped the madness from taking root at home.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

They would not search mine without a warrant, no way, no how. That much I can promise.

I have nothing to hide but that is not the point! Never thought I'd live to see this kind of thing happening here.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Million Miler
This is disgusting. It is all predictable and a case of history repeating itself.

So, what do we do now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.