Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AtariBaby
Regarding the NEXUS advice, it is excellent advice, and I have one, although it's not for everyone. My fiance is unable to reconstruct her multi-year residential and employment information as required-- she has worked and lived in too many places, and at times not worked, and the form doesn't allow gaps (!), and she's unwilling to lie as always, so she is an example of someone who can't qualify for a NEXUS card.
With regard to "gaps", do as indicated by the previous poster if interested in a NEXUS card. It's not a guaranteed turn-down to have that kind of background.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by N1120A
Didn't notice the engagement part. Congrats.

1) I disagree that enrolling in "NEXUS" (as you put it) is a complete surrender of privacy rights. Governments do background checks all the time, not under the scope of any program. Just look at all the stories of the Canadians pulling up 15 year old DUIs to extract a "rehabilitation" fee from unwitting Yanks.

2) I had to live scan my fingerprints years ago. First, so I could have a summer job on my dad's car dealership, then so I could obtain the license to practice in my profession. In fact, I found out that the Canadians had access to my fingerprints (or at least that I had fingerprints taken) back in 2005, before I had even considered NEXUS.

3) In many ways, I surrender less of my privacy rights than you or someone else who doesn't have NEXUS or GE does, as I am far less likely to have my belongings searched at the border. I got thanked for paying duty last week on an overage because the CBP agent admitted that they would almost never check a GE person for such a thing. Indeed, one of the biggest reasons for getting GE was to avoid the disgusting behavior of so many bigoted, jingoistic CBP agents.

So yeah. Pick another fight.
I'd never take a job where I had to submit fingerprints, pee in a cup, submit a credit report, or any of that stuff either. Too many people will to cave in too easily.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by polonius
I'd never take a job where I had to submit fingerprints, pee in a cup, submit a credit report, or any of that stuff either. Too many people will to cave in too easily.
Does that mean you do not have a credit card, as they usually do a credit check on the applicant? or have not entered the US since they began fingerprinting most foreigners.

As for Nexus, for anyone who travels transborder, it is a very handy card to have. Bypass the queues and long wait, in particular the ones for entering the US. As a governmental agency, the information Nexus had on me was already in the system, including a match of my fingerprints.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
No "job" requires me to do that. My license to practice law required fingerprints and likely involved a credit check as part of a larger background check.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by N1120A
No "job" requires me to do that. My license to practice law required fingerprints and likely involved a credit check as part of a larger background check.
Whether its the employer, the licensing authority, or whatever, nobody gets to do a "background check" on me. I'll move to Argentina and raise cattle for the rest of my life before I'll let that happen. Or maybe go to work for Julian Assange.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by bwhite
I have always found this interesting as I remain a Canadian citizen and enter on my Canadian passport while also presenting my U.S. PR card yet I get drilled with questions by Canadian officials.
Yes, CBSA asks non-resident Canadians some rather inane questions.

BTW, why do you present your LPR card to the CBSA?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Whether its the employer, the licensing authority, or whatever, nobody gets to do a "background check" on me. I'll move to Argentina and raise cattle for the rest of my life before I'll let that happen. Or maybe go to work for Julian Assange.
Congrats. I applaud Ms. Assange's efforts to increase transparency in government, but he does need to employ lawyers to fight for his right to do so.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by martyYYZ
You can fill in the gaps with "Unemployed" dates if she wasn't working during certian times over the past 5 years
I took a year off work after being RIFed from a job, and I marked that timeframe on my NEXUS application as being unemployed; I was prepared to explain (a generous severance package, and careful use of same, allowed me to take it easy before heading back to the daily grind), but it never even came up in the interviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.