Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plastic ties on luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL AA
I always use bright yellow zip ties to secure my checked bags. It is instantly obvious at baggage claim if my luggage has been opened. So far it's only happened twice. Once going to Europe, a black zip tie was on one bag, the other still had the yellow. Other than nail clippers taken from an inside pocket, nothing else looked disturbed. Once, coming from TXL, one bag arrived without a zip tie. There were tags from the Bundessicherheitsdienst or some such agency. Some severely OCD person had neatly folded and arranged the contents. Nothing was missing. The other bag still had the yellow tie. I always travel with nail clippers in my carry on to cut the ties, except during the time they were considered dangerous. I usually leave an extra in an outside zipper pocket of a checked bag in case nail clippers are again deemed weapons.

Sure, zip ties will not prevent theft but neither will locks. If the ties are missing, at least you will know to check the contents before leaving the airport.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:09 am

I use these:

They are designed for one-time use and can be removed without tools when you arrive at your destination. They also have unique serial numbers.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by pianoman
I use these:

They are designed for one-time use and can be removed without tools when you arrive at your destination. They also have unique serial numbers.
One simple ball point pen is all that is needed to get in that suitcase that is pictured and it will be done without distrubing that seal at all. You would not be able to tell the suitcase had been opened at all. I can't figure out how to get a picture to post either. I am just too tired.

http://videosift.com/video/How-To-Op...Pen?loadcomm=1

FB
Old May 22, 2010, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Firebug4
One simple ball point pen is all that is needed to get in that suitcase that is pictured and it will be done without distrubing that seal at all.
Yes, I'm aware of that.

I was simply pointing out that there are alternatives to standard zip-ties (which are difficult to remove without tools).
Old May 22, 2010, 8:45 am

One simple ball point pen is all that is needed to get in that suitcase that is pictured and it will be done without distrubing that seal at all.
Originally Posted by pianoman
Yes, I'm aware of that.

I was simply pointing out that there are alternatives to standard zip-ties (which are difficult to remove without tools).
That's a nice alternative.

And Firebug4: sure, a determined thief can always get into any particular piece of luggage ... just like a determined thief can always get into any particular automobile, or office, or home. There's nothing you can do to defend against that threat. What you can try to defend against is the casual thief ... the one looking for a brief opportunity to make a grab-and-go move. A simple zip-tie or TSA lock would be enough to discourage the casual thief and make him move on to the next bag.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:38 am

I always use zip-ties and carry a pair of fingernail clippers with me. Never a problem.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odblnt
I always use zip-ties and carry a pair of fingernail clippers with me. Never a problem.
+1. I put an old pair of cuticle cutters in an outside pocket or in my carryon.

Any luggage lock is more to avoid accidental opening or half-hearted theft than to be a serious anti-theft obstacle.

On a happier note, I wound up checking my carryon from MAD-FRA-ORD without any kind of lock since a friend had given me a bottle of wine in MAD. At ORD the zipper had come open about 3 inches but everything was still there.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I even asked people behind the various rental car counters, and they told me that they were not allowed to give pax scissors....
We're all a bunch of 1st graders.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
That's a nice alternative.

And Firebug4: sure, a determined thief can always get into any particular piece of luggage ... just like a determined thief can always get into any particular automobile, or office, or home. There's nothing you can do to defend against that threat. What you can try to defend against is the casual thief ... the one looking for a brief opportunity to make a grab-and-go move. A simple zip-tie or TSA lock would be enough to discourage the casual thief and make him move on to the next bag.
+1 The goal of most "security systems" is to cause the thief to steal from someone else.

As to the specific point of zip ties, it allows a clear sign upon retrieval of your bag to know that someone has been inside. This allows you to escalate prior to leaving the airport which is often critical in getting anyone to take your claim seriously.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
This comes up from time to time here over the years, and it's actually pretty funny to look back at the threads as they start with nail clippers, then clippers are banned, then they are OK, etc.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...able-ties.html

To me the removal key is not to pull it so tight you can't slip something into it to twist it off. Pen, binder clip, key, etc.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyMiles, American AAdvantage, Allied Business Network, AmEx, CapOne Rewards
twist ties on luggage

I have just used twist ties (like the ones that come with some trash bags), mainly to keep the zippers together on the luggage. I thought it might also deter TSA from making a mess of my contents - and it probably has; I only saw signs of my luggage being gone through once.

But maybe I will try zip ties now. I was considering TSA locks, but then I thought that the screeners might be more likely to open them because they are less of a hassle to deal with than twist ties would be.

Why would zip ties be better than twist ties, other than the obvious fact that you could instantly tell when TSA had gone into a bag with zip ties (if you used a unique color)?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are stronger, they are harder to remove.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:11 pm

One simple ball point pen is all that is needed to get in that suitcase that is pictured and it will be done without distrubing that seal at all. You would not be able to tell the suitcase had been opened at all. I can't figure out how to get a picture to post either. I am just too tired.

http://videosift.com/video/How-To-Op...Pen?loadcomm=1

FB
This video is MUCH more educational or something... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGYmbQ9MZMI
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
while knives arent allowed scissors are like the 5" surgical sharp fiskar scissors in my back that i can disassemble with my finger and have not one but 2 knives. This is inaddition to the trauma sheers i carry.

I use serial numbers zip ties (White/UV/Glow in the Dark) on my bag and leave generic black in the flap for them to reseal it. none have been cut so far
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:13 am

we have been doing this for more than 10 years now. Pocket knife goes into the outside pocket of the checkin luggage to open at destination.

NOTHING I repaet NOTHING is going to stop a determined thief but a coloured cable tie will allow easy detection of tampering. In our case and about 5.000 pices of luggage later (since we often travel with groups) we have only had them missing a handfull of times. The first thing we do when our luggage comes off the belt is to look if the tie is still in place. If not roll your luggage over to customs or any law inforcement officer in the baggage area and tell them you lauggage has been tampered with. Open it in their precense and if there is something inside that isn't supposed to be there you should at least be in the clear. Theft isn't the main concern although that is a pain in the you know what - ending up as an unwilling mule is far more dangerous. especially in certain parts of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.