Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA security measures in the aftermath of the NW AMS/DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd be curious to hear your opinion on it. Wish I would have known about that BEFORE Christmas.
I've looked a lot at the Scott evests, but the thing I've traveled in ever since 2001 when there was that UK rule that you could only carry one bag is a Woolrich trail vest - they're $89 on the Woolrich Web site. Besides lots of pockets that I use for wallet, keys, cell phones, notepads, passports (there are two inner pockets held with glue-like velcro) there is a pocket at the back that's big enough to hold magazines. I find that a godsend - I can stand on line and read and then whip the magazine back in its pocket when I need to. There are plenty of places to stash stuff like wristwatch, etc., for going through security. I just take the whole thing off and put it in a bin.

(One of the pockets is even big enough to hold one of those travel coffee mugs. I usually take that out of the pocket, leaving its lid behind, and put it in the bin separately so they can easily see that it's empty.)

wg
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
L3 -- a strip search machine peddler -- has a lot of employees going to and from London nowadays. Can't help but notice the lot of them at Heathrow.

For US airlines' flights to the US, the hand searches of cabin baggage are a bad joke just like the pat-downs. If this is what they are counting on improving security, they might as well do nothing at all beyond what was done on 9/10/2001.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd be curious to hear your opinion on it. Wish I would have known about that BEFORE Christmas.
Just trying it on at home, it's pretty well-done. All the pockets came with little business-card-sized inserts explaining the suggested purpose of said pocket; most are pretty obvious, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.

I particularly liked the sunglasses/eyeglasses pocket which comes complete with a lens cleaning cloth on a little tether.

I'll have to post back after my first trip using it; I bought it primarily for a trip to Europe in March, but plan to try it out on a couple of domestic trips in the next month or two, too.

Originally Posted by wendyg
I've looked a lot at the Scott evests, but the thing I've traveled in ever since 2001 when there was that UK rule that you could only carry one bag is a Woolrich trail vest - they're $89 on the Woolrich Web site. Besides lots of pockets that I use for wallet, keys, cell phones, notepads, passports (there are two inner pockets held with glue-like velcro) there is a pocket at the back that's big enough to hold magazines. I find that a godsend - I can stand on line and read and then whip the magazine back in its pocket when I need to. There are plenty of places to stash stuff like wristwatch, etc., for going through security. I just take the whole thing off and put it in a bin.

(One of the pockets is even big enough to hold one of those travel coffee mugs. I usually take that out of the pocket, leaving its lid behind, and put it in the bin separately so they can easily see that it's empty.)
With the 20% discount code, the Scott evest was $80, which helped tip the scales for me.

It's got pockets for a cell phone, MP3 player (both with reinforced slits passing into the lining for things like headphone cables), travel documents, a point-and-shoot camera, a magazine-sized pocket, memory card & change pockets, pen pockets, and one big one in the back which it says could hold a small laptop ("just don't sit on it!") or even a camelback water bladder, with the tube run up through the lining and out at the neck.

I'd toyed with using a photographer's vest (which I already had) as an "extra" carry-on before; several pro photographers do just that to get gear through the checkpoint within existing limitations, but this one is nicer looking, not as bulky, and isn't as touristy-looking as a photographer's vest.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1k
Went to the British Virgin Islands before Christmas, and came back 1/5.
Will now seriously reconsider abroad trips until it gets back to something reasonable.
Got to the point I'm almost hoping some terrorist will get a kidney swapped out with a explosive to show how ludicrous the whole thing is.
(yes, hope its a dud too)

Lets see Obama and Nepolitano go thru a scanner to illustrate to us common folk thats its no big deal.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by exerda
Just trying it on at home, it's pretty well-done. All the pockets came with little business-card-sized inserts explaining the suggested purpose of said pocket; most are pretty obvious, but it was a nice touch nonetheless.

I particularly liked the sunglasses/eyeglasses pocket which comes complete with a lens cleaning cloth on a little tether.

I'll have to post back after my first trip using it; I bought it primarily for a trip to Europe in March, but plan to try it out on a couple of domestic trips in the next month or two, too.

With the 20% discount code, the Scott evest was $80, which helped tip the scales for me.

It's got pockets for a cell phone, MP3 player (both with reinforced slits passing into the lining for things like headphone cables), travel documents, a point-and-shoot camera, a magazine-sized pocket, memory card & change pockets, pen pockets, and one big one in the back which it says could hold a small laptop ("just don't sit on it!") or even a camelback water bladder, with the tube run up through the lining and out at the neck.

I'd toyed with using a photographer's vest (which I already had) as an "extra" carry-on before; several pro photographers do just that to get gear through the checkpoint within existing limitations, but this one is nicer looking, not as bulky, and isn't as touristy-looking as a photographer's vest.
+1 to the above. I recently got one too. Count me as pretty darned impressed! ^
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msimons

Lets see Obama and Nepolitano go thru a scanner to illustrate to us common folk thats its no big deal.
So you think Obama and Napolitano should volunteer to go thru all the kinds of scannners being deployed to strip search passengers flying US airlines and then show all of the images on national TV without touching the images up or covering up the genitals, breasts and/or rear-end?

Why do I suspect that is not going to happen!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I just bought a ScotteVest, too. Note that discount code LEO has expired, but CESBlogs gets a 20-percent discount through the end of January.

Bruce
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So you think Obama and Napolitano should volunteer to go thru all the kinds of scannners being deployed to strip search passengers flying US airlines and then show all of the images on national TV without touching the images up or covering up the genitals, breasts and/or rear-end?

You and I both know that even the first part is not going to happen, (the part before "and then show all...").
Didn't I read somewhere that all the people making noise and decisions about screening are typically those permitted to bypass screening altogether if the chartered jet happens to be unavailable that day? (Mayors, senators, dignitaries, etc.) Oh that's right, that was in the SSI redacted PDF screening protocol.
Wonder if that set of more equal animals are also allowed to keep pillows and blankets for the last hour of the flight?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Not just Obama and Napolitano but every Senator, Representative and DHS official consents to having their image published on the web.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
You and I both know that even the first part is not going to happen, (the part before "and then show all...").
Didn't I read somewhere that all the people making noise and decisions about screening are typically those permitted to bypass screening altogether if the chartered jet happens to be unavailable that day? (Mayors, senators, dignitaries, etc.) Oh that's right, that was in the SSI redacted PDF screening protocol.
Wonder if that set of more equal animals are also allowed to keep pillows and blankets for the last hour of the flight?
Most flights from Europe to the US this week no longer have a pillow and blanket TSA ban on the last hour of the flights. And the TSA restrictions on bathroom use are also gone. If an airline/airline crew wants to make up such rules or continue those expired rules -- which banned even lap babies on flights arriving into the US from overseas -- then that is the airline/airline crew's rule.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by studentff
If the outcome is that the bumbling underwear bomber will ever see free air again, I suspect it will be a career-ending event for some US Attorneys, some cabinet level officials, and for the President himself unless the media resumes their adoration of him and finds a way to spin the outcome in his favor.
What if he gives the U.S. extremely helpful information? What if his understanding of how he himself came to be radicalized and go from an engineering student to a suicide bomber helps "deradicalize" others? What if he speaks to people at risk of being radicalized?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.