Search

Good hotel for LIM layover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Good hotel for LIM layover

I have a 9-hour layover in LIM from 6:30pm to 3:45am and would like any good hotel recommendations at or close to the airport, I prefer a good/solid 3.5-4 star hotel (by US standards) with a reliable shuttle close to $100 or so.

Alternatively, what is the *A lounge situation at LIM? Anywhere to sleep decently (not on the floor) at the airport?

Thanks for any input...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Costa del Sol Hotel is right outside the airport. Not sure of rates, but for such layover times, I recommend you go to this place. With regards to Lounge, there are two third-party operated--Sumaq and VIP. Both are relatively small, not much, if at all place for sleeping. They are open through your layover time given the late departures out of Lim.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IncaTrails
Costa del Sol Hotel is right outside the airport. Not sure of rates, but for such layover times, I recommend you go to this place. With regards to Lounge, there are two third-party operated--Sumaq and VIP. Both are relatively small, not much, if at all place for sleeping. They are open through your layover time given the late departures out of Lim.
Thanks, I saw it but I cannot get it for less than $200+. Not sure if I want to spend that much for 6 hours of sleep, but I might. There are a bunch of decent Novotels/other chains for about $100 at about 6 miles from the airport, anyone ever used those? How safe would that shuttle transfer be?

The arrival/departure times at LIM seem pretty messy, and the hotel situation there not that good...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
The traffic in Lima is horrible. Those 6 miles would take you a long time. If you want to sleep, from what I know, the Sumaq lounge does have beds and showers. However, you can only use it for 4h.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I found the Costa del Sol somewhat cheaper and ended up booking it...I need to get some sleep coz I am going to work the next day...

Last edited by nk15; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:48 am
Old May 22, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Related question: I arrive June 15 at 11:35 pm (DL 151) from the States, leave for Cusco, probably about 9, the next morning. Hotel booking sites show the Wyndham at the airport, overkill for my needs and at $150+ a bit expensive for my tastes, then a huge price drop to several places at under $50 per night (some well under). Padama at Av. El Olivar 1238 seems to have a good balance of price, ratings, location and amenities. Any feedback on it, or alternative suggestions? Also, is the 1KM or so from the airport walkable? If not, how would you suggest I get there? (My Spanish isn't entirely non-existent, but it's marginal, and I've never been to Peru before.)
Old May 23, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
We had the same situation in March & we stayed & "slept" at LIM. After clearing immigration you may be lucky to get to the hotel that is 1km away by 1 a.m. & you'll have to leave to go back to LIM probably by 6:30 a.m. Because of horrible traffic there is no way you can go much further into town. If you are really insistent on going to the hotel & not walking you can set up taxidatum.com in advance, which will probably cost you US$20 each way (that's the cost all the way into town to the Miaflores area, maybe they'll do 1km for less, you can email the booking manager, Leonardo, at [email protected] and ask). I have used them before & they are very reliable.

Last edited by rubesl; May 23, 2017 at 7:41 am
Old May 23, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

$150 for the airport Wyndham is not that bad. If you decide to book it, do it online, wyndhamrewards.com often has further discounts. The walk-up prices for this hotel are for some reason double what you see online ($300+), so even if you book the day of arrival, do it online, not in person.
The area around the airport (Calao) is not considered very safe, I believe, especially walking with luggage. I personally wouldn't do it at midnight (or during the day).
Btw, I hope you have some preparation for altitude sickness at Cusco. I didn't and failed miserably and had to come down after a sleepless night at Cusco. Read elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited by nk15; May 23, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old May 23, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
$150 for the airport Wyndham is not that bad. If you decide to book it, do it online, wyndhamrewards.com often has further discounts. The walk-up prices for this hotel are for some reason double what you see online ($300+), so even if you book the day of arrival, do it online, not in person.
The area around the airport (Calao) is not considered very safe, I believe, especially walking with luggage, but do further checks online.
Thanks!

The Wyndham was actually $168, IIRC. I just put in a round number to make the point that there's a hu-u-u-uge price gap between it and all the rest.

Lots of posts in other places that say sleeping at LIM itself is popular, since late-night-to-early-morning connections are common, but I don't think I want to do that. The lights and the PA stay on all night, for one thing.

Based on what you say, I don't think I want to try a 15-minute walk in a strange (to me) place after midnight.

The Padama has an airport shuttle. I think it's worth $45, but I'll wait a week or so (until after I get back from OzFest 14) and see if there are any other useful posts here in the meantime.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think it will be important to get some sleep the night before, because it may be tough sleeping at Cusco. My recommendation is to consider taking altitude sickness pills (check with your doc first) and sleep the first night lower than Cusco (in Ollantaytambo). It may or may not affect you, but you never know. More here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._Valley_C.html
Old May 23, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
I think it will be important to get some sleep the night before, because it may be tough sleeping at Cusco. My recommendation is to consider taking altitude sickness pills (check with your doc first) and sleep the first night lower than Cusco (in Ollantaytambo). It may or may not affect you, but you never know. More here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._Valley_C.html
Good thoughts. The Diamox is already in hand. I'm afraid I'm stuck sleeping in Cusco, though. I've slept at 8,000' before (San Pedro de Atacama) with no difficulty, so I'm not too worried about that. (I know 8,000 isn't 11,000.) I'll have two nights there before lacing up my hiking boots, then an easy walk the third day and two nights in Urubamba.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Everyone adapts to altitude differently. I took diamox and didn't notice a difference in Cusco vs. Lima. Some of my other friends were really suffering even though they took diamox.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Everyone is different, but we were a group of eight who stayed two days is Cusco before going to MP. Two took Diamox & six did not & no one suffered altitude sickness. There are also all kinds of coca products (candy, leaves to chew, tea, etc.) in Cusco to help alleviate altitude sickness if you start to have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.