GYE Transit Question and Lima Advice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.

I am planning a trip to LIM in April and have a great J fare on LAN that will take me JFK-GYE-LIM and then LIM-JFK nonstop on the return.

I know that GYE does have a transit area so do not think that I will have to clear customs, claim bags, and re-check them. I have seen a couple of older posts but wanted to ensure that I can just transit without claiming bags and then just clear customs in LIM.

Would also greatly appreciate any must sees or advice for LIM. Will be traveling with my 70-something Mom who is vibrant, active, and loves heading to new locations -- LIM is a first for both of us. Thinking of spending a few days in Cuzco to visit Macchu Picchu but if there is enough to keep us busy in Lima might just stay put as we only have five nights.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:38 am

With 5 nights in Peru and a desire to see Cusco and Machu Picchu, it is well advised that you take a domestic flight from Lima to Cusco. Overland, the trip is about 20 hours and in addition to being long, will also leave you quite exhausted at the end.

Cusco and Lima are both good options depending on what your interests are. For a step back in time and to get a taste of how Peruvians once lived, including the Incas, Cusco is hands down the better destination. If you want to see a strong juxtaposition of old and new and witness the contemporary face of South America, for better and for worse, Lima can provide many fascinating windows.

Have a good time!
Peru For Less
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
Thanks for the advice. So there is no need to re-claim baggage and clear customs in GYE if just connecting to LIM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.