Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car From Seattle to Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Rental Car From Seattle to Vancouver

I am thinking about renting a car at the Seattle airport and driving across the border to Vancouver. Are there any restrictions with the car rental companies that prevent you from taking the car across the border? If so, which ones have policies against it?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:40 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I've taken cars from Budget, Avis, Hertz, Dollar, Alamo and National over the border without difficulties (both round trip and one-way rentals.) However I'd check with the specific company regarding any restrictions. One or two (Enterprise comes to mind, but not certain) might not be happy with the idea, and I'd check insurance coverage. Note that picking up the car off-airport (as in downtown Seattle) will avoid big airport taxes and fees.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
I am thinking about renting a car at the Seattle airport and driving across the border to Vancouver. Are there any restrictions with the car rental companies that prevent you from taking the car across the border? If so, which ones have policies against it?
Generally, no, there are no restrictions, but it's worth checking with the specific company you intend to book with. Also check with your insurance agent that you'll be covered in both countries.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I rented from the Hertz downtown Seattle HLE and drove to a downtown Vancouver HLE back in October. Reserved via Hertz.com, indicated what I was doing and had absolutely no issues.

At least with Hertz, I was charged one-way mileage. The total was about US$120 for the trip, plus gas (hint: fill up in Washington prior to crossing into Canada, as gas on the other side is far more expensive).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Generally speaking, not a problem. But, read the t&c of the specific rate booked. Specifically what the term "unlimited" means. You may find that rate conditions affect your choice of company.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
As others have said in general there shouldnt be a problem but you still need to check with the rental car company. Each has there own rules/regs.

What I mean by this is you need to call the rental office in Seattle directly at their 206 number...not the 800 number. for example at LAS, Budget restricts driving only to NV, CA, AZ, and UT.

Not all rental agencies are at all airports so look ahead.

Also some price quotes dont include the one way fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.