Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Don't forget: Spirit downsizing allowable personal item by 25% starting April 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't forget: Spirit downsizing allowable personal item by 25% starting April 4

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Thumbs down Don't forget: Spirit downsizing allowable personal item by 25% starting April 4

Here's the page as reference

I guess they were just being too "generous" before and had to futher defy common sense, though you could also say they're "harmonizing" with Frontier by doing this and creating a windfall for whoever makes the baggage sizing units in airports, as I'm sure those will need to be switched out.

In pulling out the calculator, the new limit is 2016 cubic inches, down 25% from the old limit of 2688 cubic inches.

The new limit is also more rectangular and less cubic, which could be used against more items, I'll bet. One strategy is to take the most malleable bag you can so that it could be forced into the sizing-unit space, if necessary. They will probably "introduce" the new policy with another of their periodic crackdowns at the gate.

On a slightly brighter note I did find a barely-used Kensington Contour at the thrift store today that's sized to the dimensions in the new policy.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Yeah it's a pretty strange move - what was wrong with the old ones? Were people really having problems with that? If the thing fits under the seat, why do they care if it's 12" vs 14" on a side?

It almost seems like they are gearing up to do crackdowns and pull in baggage revenue. But that must backfire on them, pissing off people if they hold you to a 1-2" difference so that they don't want to fly you again.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It's a revenue move...Wall Street is worried that people are catching on to the business model and adjusting behavior to avoid fees, so they have to keep throwing curves to please Wall Street. A real classic in that vein had to be when Spirit broke with industry standards and made 40 lbs. the checked-bag "standard". That meant that if you were connecting off a legacy carrier and had carried 50 lbs. there at no cost they'd still call it overweight and charge a fee ($25, I think it was) for that same bag check on Spirit IN ADDITION TO the checked-bag fee.

To their credit, most Spirit FAs don't want to be bag-policy enforcers or try to make people store bags under the seat if there's room overhead (which there almost always is unless the flight has a checked-bag "embargo"). Gate agents also don't like having to do the enforcement, which is why the soft, malleable bags are good if they can be squished into the space (e.g. rucksacks).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
To their credit, most Spirit FAs don't want to be bag-policy enforcers or try to make people store bags under the seat if there's room overhead (which there almost always is unless the flight has a checked-bag "embargo"). Gate agents also don't like having to do the enforcement, which is why the soft, malleable bags are good if they can be squished into the space (e.g. rucksacks).
- has a checked-bag "embargo"). : Is that possible ? What I do with my 2 large bags ? (a refund won't solve my bags issue)

- If I book row 1 (single row of "big seat) : Am I supposed to keep my backpack at my feet ? If not should I proactively paid for a carry on ?

Thank you very much
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA
- has a checked-bag "embargo")
- If I book row 1 (single row of "big seat) : Am I supposed to keep my backpack at my feet ? If not should I proactively paid for a carry on ?
The overhead bins above row 1 are reserved for (and will be closed upon boarding) for those traveling in row 1. Your "personal item" will need to be stored in the overhead for take off and landing and there will be no charge for it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by discjoker
The overhead bins above row 1 are reserved for (and will be closed upon boarding) for those traveling in row 1. Your "personal item" will need to be stored in the overhead for take off and landing and there will be no charge for it.
Thank you very much
So for the price of the big seat you have a free carry on
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by CGRA
Thank you very much
So for the price of the big seat you have a free carry on
Kind of, but not exactly. The item will still need to fit the "personal item" dimensions...otherwise you will have to pay for that overhead space.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by discjoker
Kind of, but not exactly. The item will still need to fit the "personal item" dimensions...otherwise you will have to pay for that overhead space.
Thank you. It could for under the seat, I guess )
40 for a big sea is a deal
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One flight that's often a mess is LIM-FLL, because people want to carry more but have been limited to one checked bag because of the embargo thing (which I don't understand why unless they're prioritizing cargo, mail, etc.). So lots of people also pay for the carry-on just to try to get more capacity and the bins fill out on that one. That flight's also the "DVT express" at 5.5 hours + ground time in the same cramped seating as domestically. I always have to buy at least the exit row seat under such conditions.

BTW, they've been sending e-mails this week about the change, spinning it as more compatible with the space and certain types of bags, etc. As they used to say on the Continental forum, "You've been enhanced!"
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:41 am

because people want to carry more but have been limited to one checked bag because of the embargo thing (which I don't understand why unless they're prioritizing cargo, mail, etc.)
It's largely because people traveling from the US to visit family want to take so much with them and people coming back want to bring so much stuff from home they can't get in the US.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:31 am

Photo of New Image Sizer

New sizers have been installed....

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:33 pm

Dreading an upcoming Spirit flight and wondering...

If my backpack is larger than 16 x 14 x 12, but I can squish it into that sizer, am I good?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by SwellyB
Dreading an upcoming Spirit flight and wondering...

If my backpack is larger than 16 x 14 x 12, but I can squish it into that sizer, am I good?
if you can squish it in that should be fine. I have never seen gate agents measuring bags though. Last flight (after this change), I saw people bringing on bags that were much larger (typical carry-on size) and none were even asked. People were boarding so quickly that no way was the gate agent checking who had paid for one.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:18 am

Has anyone measured the new sizer? I'm considering a bag that is half a centimeter bigger than the specs. I don't think it will squish. Wondering if there is any leeway. Thanks!

Last edited by baileybear; Apr 29, 2017 at 8:09 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by alchemista
if you can squish it in that should be fine. I have never seen gate agents measuring bags though. Last flight (after this change), I saw people bringing on bags that were much larger (typical carry-on size) and none were even asked. People were boarding so quickly that no way was the gate agent checking who had paid for one.
Don't boarding passes say if you paid for a carry on? If so maybe those people did pay. I've seen them stop obviouly oversize bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.