Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allegiant 426 LAS-FAR Declares Fuel Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Allegiant 426 LAS-FAR Declares Fuel Emergency

Pilot noted they will be at "Bingo Fuel" in 3-4 minutes per the Tampa Bay Times where I saw this. Apparently the airport had been closed so the Blue Angels could practice, flight left LAS an hour late meaning they wouldn't make it before the closure but the Pilot continued anyways. Strange and what happened to their reserves?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...rgency/2238936
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The story hit the news tonight. Interesting to see east comes of this.

My initial information spears there is fault in 3 areas...

1. Fargo should know what flights are scheduled and when. Given the flight distance in travel they could easily see where this plane is located snd alter the blue angels training accordingly.

2. Vegas ATC should have known that Fargo was going to close so if there was a traffic volume delay they could have given Allegiant priority in taking off.

3. aAllegiant should have known this closure and altered it's flight plan to give them more buffer than 12 minutes yo land before the airport closed. Other option given the long notification they should have changed flight schedule where it is scheduled to land when the airport opens up. Once the plane lands it wouldn't be able yo take off.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by djp98374
1. Fargo should know what flights are scheduled and when. Given the flight distance in travel they could easily see where this plane is located snd alter the blue angels training accordingly.
Isn't that assuming this wasn't a scheduled temporary closure?

FAA Investigates After Allegiant Jetliner Nearly Runs Out of Fuel
An air traffic controller can be heard telling an Allegiant pilot that his company should have known about the closure, according to audio captured by the website LiveATC.net. The Allegiant pilot said he didn't have enough fuel to reach another airport.
In a statement emailed to The Associated Press, Allegiant did not say whether it knew about the temporary closure at the Fargo airport.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Sant
Isn't that assuming this wasn't a scheduled temporary closure?

FAA Investigates After Allegiant Jetliner Nearly Runs Out of Fuel
Here is the problem---.... happens.

fargo should know what the scheduled airlines are supposed to be landing at the airport.

from my understanding this wasn't a diverted flight but a plane destined for Fargo. the flight info would be known well in advance of this when flights are scheduled to take off and land.

Could allegiant not filled there schedule flight--sure. could Fargo FAA be clueless idiots---yes.

What I find amusing is an emergency happens the plane has to talk to regional FAA in Minneapolis before they can clear in Fargo.

What Im saying is it appears both sides of this made errors.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:47 pm

So why does anybody who uses this website fly Allegiant?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by djp98374
Here is the problem---.... happens.

fargo should know what the scheduled airlines are supposed to be landing at the airport.

from my understanding this wasn't a diverted flight but a plane destined for Fargo. the flight info would be known well in advance of this when flights are scheduled to take off and land.
The flight departed a hour late. The scheduled arrival time wouldn't have been a problem as the airport was still open but the flight never made it on time. Beside, I don't believe it's the air traffic controller's responsibility to verify that flights are arriving on schedule. The responsibility solely lies on the airline and the pilot.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, UA 1P, 1 MM, Delta, , SW, HHonors
Allegiant Executives were also the pilots

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Good question given their horrible on-time flight performance and difficult and often absent customer service when there are flight delays and cancellations.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Stats/...anceReports.do

And perhaps if that is not enough reason to hesitate:

From http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/07/30/allegiant-executives-were-flying-plane-that-ran-low-on-fuelhttp://

"Federal regulations require airlines to have enough fuel to get to their destination airport, a pre-designated diversion airport plus an additional 45 minutes of flying time.

An Allegiant pilot who requested anonymity said Baden has been an advocate for the airline's flights operating with minimal fuel reserves to enable the aircraft to be lighter and more efficient.

Pilots can request additional fuel for flights in preparation for diversions due to bad weather or other unexpected conditions. But pilots say acquiring additional fuel often results in an argument with dispatchers and delays, and they instead take off with less fuel than they initially wanted."
So what was the pre-designated diversion airport and why didn't they have an additional 45 minutes of fuel beyond that? Are the company execs, in this case who are also the pilots, pushing profit over safety?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PDXTom
Good question given their horrible on-time flight performance and difficult and often absent customer service when there are flight delays and cancellations.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Stats/...anceReports.do

And perhaps if that is not enough reason to hesitate:

From http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2015/07/30/allegiant-executives-were-flying-plane-that-ran-low-on-fuelhttp://

So what was the pre-designated diversion airport and why didn't they have an additional 45 minutes of fuel beyond that? Are the company execs, in this case who are also the pilots, pushing profit over safety?
I thought headed to DFW, United I think, did not have the fuel to circle with storms and had to divert. It happens now and then. At least you normally know weather in advance. Allegient was lazy, but it happens.

Here in Tampa, there seems to be an attack against them. Probably the pilots union fighting back. I have not heard much that has happened to them that does not happen elsewhere, or has at sometime with an airline focused on getting as much as it can out of tourists, maximizing profits and minimizing costs.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
my understanding is that "bingo" fuel (military speak) means having enough fuel,to return to your departure point. So having enough fuel to comfortably return to LAS? This is well above any fuel emergency level.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Because in a lot of places they fly they're 1/3 the price of a major carrier.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Or the only airline to serve a particular route / city.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

My most common route on 9/26/2015 LAS-IDA

G4: $37 ($27 if bought at airport). 1h 40min nonstop
DL: $505. 2h 52 min 1 connection (SLC)

That is why

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.