Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

COPA msy-pty canceled, extra expense options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Today copa msy-pty was canceled 2 hours before the flight. Like most passengers (was told some were checked in), I was well in route to MSY before they sent cancel notice. I could not get a reason out of agent for cancelation (he denied mechanical) but given the time, maybe they were short flight personnel for some reason. Flight is held until tomorrow. I did not see the plane at the side of C-gates visible from the approach road, but it could have been on the other side.

no offer to rebook on other transport was made, and I didn't ask (didn't occur to me and given my circumstances here, would have declined anyway)

Fortunately I stay with family locally when here, so no hotel, but what other expectation may I have with copa on additional expenses incurred? In reality, my only expense was a 35$ 1-day car rental (cheaper than a taxi to anywhere), but I would like to know as much as anything for informational purposes, in case I get in this situation again where incurred expenses are much more substantial (which almost any other travel situation would be, for example, forced payment for hotel night at destination, just for one)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The carrier isn't responsible for consequential damages, so the chances that local transport is reimbursed are pretty slim. But, it's only $35 so maybe you get a small voucher.

On a larger scale, if this stuff worries you and you travel a lot, I would carry trip interruption insurance (you may have it through your CC). That would pay for hotels, food and rebooking onto another carrier. Much better than relying on a carrier to help out.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good luck getting anything from Copa, terrible customer service.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The carrier isn't responsible for consequential damages, so the chances that local transport is reimbursed are pretty slim. But, it's only $35 so maybe you get a small voucher.

On a larger scale, if this stuff worries you and you travel a lot, I would carry trip interruption insurance (you may have it through your CC). That would pay for hotels, food and rebooking onto another carrier. Much better than relying on a carrier to help out.
thanks, I used the mileage plus explorercard, which I am pretty sure does insure some things, I will need to read their terms. As far as today, obviously I was fortunate and the net effect was lost time + a trivial amount of money, but it was an interesting situation with an airline that only flies here 3 times a week at present.

Trip Delay Reimbursement

If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses made with your MileagePlus Explorer Card, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.
I slept on floor in baggage claim in IAH last month??????

Last edited by Woofdog123; Jul 27, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.