Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa announces daily PTY-SFO fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

SFO Press release:

http://www.flysfo.com/media/press-re...-copa-airlines

"Copa flight 209 will depart San Francisco daily at 11:19 p.m., arriving at Copa’s Hub of the Americas at Tocumen International Airport in Panama at 8:32 a.m. the following day. The return flight 208, will depart Panama at 9:41 a.m., arriving in San Francisco at 2:54 p.m. Copa will operate a Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft on the approximately 6-hour, 45-minute flight, with premium configuration and seating capacity for 16 passengers in Business Class and 138 in the main cabin."
Old May 29, 2015, 7:30 am

They have been expanding rapidly this year. If only Canada would allow them daily flights to Toronto.

My guess is PHX is the next US city.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As a regular traveler to deep South America, just how uncomfortable (both hard y soft product, including lounges at all airports, ease of connections, seating, food, IFE) would it be to fly in the front cabin, i.e., SFO/EZE?
Old May 30, 2015, 5:53 am

Narrow-body (single aisle) aircraft, so I assume biz class just recline seats. Have not heard great reviews of Copa, but this was just secondhand, and they are often cheaper than others. From Brazil would need to fly overnight (or depart in wee hours) to get to PTY for the connection.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
WAIT... a normal 738 can fly this far?!?!

And won't this now be Copa's longest flight? (Before it was MVD).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As a regular traveler to deep South America, just how uncomfortable (both hard y soft product, including lounges at all airports, ease of connections, seating, food, IFE) would it be to fly in the front cabin, i.e., SFO/EZE?
It's better than domestic F (seat is similar to the old UA barcalounger, but with harder cushions), but much less comfortable than lie-flats. AVOD is poor and there's no wifi. Food and service are variable.

PTY is a very easy connecting airport, but the PTY Copa Club is equivalent to a mediocre (and very crowded) United Club. No showers.

I think CM will do well with this route. Although it's got to be stretching the 738's limits in terms of range.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So great!

As others have said, the aircrafts are a bit of a pain, but I've never seen a really full load on CM, just in my experiences, so if you manage to have some space to yourself it wouldn't be so bad. Hopefully this makes YVR-MDE easier for me. I like flying via YYZ to fly widebody on AC, but it's often kinda pricey. My other option is YVR-IAH which is a miserable flight I find. The last option is usually like AC Rouge to LAX then AV to SAL and MDE. I love AV, but the connection in SAL is like 30 minutes, rouge sucks, I don't really like LAX, nor do I feel the need to start my day at 6am only to arrive in mde at 0025+1, I'd rather just fly overnight and arrive at a reasonable hour.

This new SFO route is brilliant. YVR-SFO late in the day PTY overnight, arrive in MDE around 12:00. Now that Aeroplan has fixed their CM award issues it opens up so much more space too. Keep it up CM! Now if only they could fly to SEA or YVR
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's better than domestic F (seat is similar to the old UA barcalounger, but with harder cushions), but much less comfortable than lie-flats. AVOD is poor and there's no wifi. Food and service are variable.

PTY is a very easy connecting airport, but the PTY Copa Club is equivalent to a mediocre (and very crowded) United Club. No showers.

I think CM will do well with this route. Although it's got to be stretching the 738's limits in terms of range.
PTY Copa Club has showers. I think there are 2 or 3. They're just to the right of the desk when you get up the stairs. Used them last time I was through town and they were well kept and had adequate space.

SFO-PTY is a pretty long flight (gcmap shows it at 3320 miles). PTY-MVD uses the same aircraft and is a tad longer (3385 miles). PTY-MVD is listed as the worlds longest 737-700 here but it seems like they fly the -800 on that route more often than not these days.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by igloocoder
PTY Copa Club has showers. I think there are 2 or 3. They're just to the right of the desk when you get up the stairs. Used them last time I was through town and they were well kept and had adequate space.
Sounds like the renovations are finally complete
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantege Executive Platinum
Anything under 5 hours is quite bearable on a 38 degrees pitch seat. When you are talking more than 6 and half hours, it is clearly survivable but not bearable. However, if the price is right, then you have to decide between luxury First Class International Service and Copa's First Class International Service.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantege Executive Platinum
I just made a quick comparison: MVD-LAX in August 2015 coach. The results are this:

American Airlines is leader in price (but not in service as I painfully know after flying 5 million miles with them) @ $1268.

COPA charges $1399 and it is two stops (PTY and IAH) on narrow body jets.

If you are an occasional traveller basing your decision on price, the choice is obvious, except for Quality of Service. If you are a Premium traveller who gets upgrades, there is a marked difference between flying on an F-type seat with 38 degrees recline from Montevideo to Panama and flying in a 767-300 lie flat seat from Montevideo to Miami.

COPA is a good airline for occasional travelers who fly around the vicinity of PTY. If you are a business traveller going long distances, it is not an option. Either on price or comfort.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by wnazaret

COPA charges $1399 and it is two stops (PTY and IAH) on narrow body jets.
MVD-LAX on CM is one stop. MVD-PTY-LAX. Both legs would be on their 738B with barcalounger seats - footrests, 49" pitch, 11" recline. Not lie flats, and I'm no Copa fan, but let's try to be accurate here.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by drvannostren
So great!

As others have said, the aircrafts are a bit of a pain, but I've never seen a really full load on CM, just in my experiences, so if you manage to have some space to yourself it wouldn't be so bad. Hopefully this makes YVR-MDE easier for me. I like flying via YYZ to fly widebody on AC, but it's often kinda pricey. My other option is YVR-IAH which is a miserable flight I find. The last option is usually like AC Rouge to LAX then AV to SAL and MDE. I love AV, but the connection in SAL is like 30 minutes, rouge sucks, I don't really like LAX, nor do I feel the need to start my day at 6am only to arrive in mde at 0025+1, I'd rather just fly overnight and arrive at a reasonable hour.

This new SFO route is brilliant. YVR-SFO late in the day PTY overnight, arrive in MDE around 12:00. Now that Aeroplan has fixed their CM award issues it opens up so much more space too. Keep it up CM! Now if only they could fly to SEA or YVR
It's a possibility. I think PTY-SEA is viable for them, and I would love it if they tried PTY-YVR.

The flight lengths shouldn't be a problem I would think, since Sunwing flies YVR to PUJ in a 737.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
6.5+ hours in a recliner seat.

Will Copa ever consider getting flatbed seats?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
6.5+ hours in a recliner seat.

Will Copa ever consider getting flatbed seats?
With more longer routes I guess it will be considered. Would be great for the long haul red eyes. Also they need to keep up with competition. I have only flown copa in or out of Panama City so not a big deal for me. But if it is to others they should mention it to upper management. Mentioning it to others will fall on deaf ears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.