Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
The only thing I would add is there's another lounge down by the Dunkin' Donuts that takes Priority Pass. The space is less appealing, but it's also less crowded with better wifi and free liquor if that's of interest.
... Does that mean no free booze in the Copa lounge?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Carry-on baggage lockers in PTY???

Flying CM for the first time next week JFK-PTY-MVD and then back first week in Feb MVD-PTY-JFK with a 12hr layover in PTY. Couple of questions: My friend and I plan on doing carry-on and heading to the canal and some other sites for the day...wondering if there is a secure area or lockers where we can leave our carry-on's for the day. If not, and we decide to check our bags in MVD would CM hold them for the 12hrs and check them through to JFK or would we need to clear customs when exiting the airport and collect our bags and then recheck??

Finally, how are the showers in the CM lounge? Long long wait in the afternoons? Certainly would like to hose off before getting back on the plane at 6pm.

Thanks!
Adam
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Flying CM for the first time next week JFK-PTY-MVD and then back first week in Feb MVD-PTY-JFK with a 12hr layover in PTY. Couple of questions: My friend and I plan on doing carry-on and heading to the canal and some other sites for the day...wondering if there is a secure area or lockers where we can leave our carry-on's for the day. If not, and we decide to check our bags in MVD would CM hold them for the 12hrs and check them through to JFK or would we need to clear customs when exiting the airport and collect our bags and then recheck??

Finally, how are the showers in the CM lounge? Long long wait in the afternoons? Certainly would like to hose off before getting back on the plane at 6pm.

Thanks!
Adam
You can have CM check your bags all the way to MVD/JFK, no need to pick them up when you clear customs. Although CM is a pro at managing transfers, I'd double check at the initial airport that the luggage tags indicate your final destination that day.

There are no lockers at the airport. There is a left luggage office landside. Turn right in the arrivals hall after exiting customs. I think it's run by the airport employee's union.

You can also leave your bags at the holding area at the entrance of the CM lounge, though since it's open for anyone use, not the most secure place to leave valuables. The CM lounge doesnt have any showers, nor for that matter, any worthwhile food choices.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
... Does that mean no free booze in the Copa lounge?
Booze is complementary at the Copa Lounge. Be sure to taste the amazing rum. I think it's called Abuelo.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by marcuswelby
You can have CM check your bags all the way to MVD/JFK, no need to pick them up when you clear customs. Although CM is a pro at managing transfers, I'd double check at the initial airport that the luggage tags indicate your final destination that day.

There are no lockers at the airport. There is a left luggage office landside. Turn right in the arrivals hall after exiting customs. I think it's run by the airport employee's union.

You can also leave your bags at the holding area at the entrance of the CM lounge, though since it's open for anyone use, not the most secure place to leave valuables. The CM lounge doesnt have any showers, nor for that matter, any worthwhile food choices.
OK thanks for the info!!!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by marcuswelby
Booze is complementary at the Copa Lounge. Be sure to taste the amazing rum. I think it's called Abuelo.
Ron Abuelo it is indeed -- the rum of Panama. I aways pick some up at the duty free shops when traveling through PTY. Hard to find outside Panama - only exported to select countries.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
Ron Abuelo it is indeed -- the rum of Panama. I aways pick some up at the duty free shops when traveling through PTY. Hard to find outside Panama - only exported to select countries.
Thanks for the tips, marcuswelby and DarrenChannel ^
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:00 pm

Well missed our connection in PTY coming from JFK due to delay of 1.5hrs of weight redistribution. All the bags had to come off and out of the plane. Myself, my friend and 6 others (some other FT members) got stranded in PTY for the night. Missed the connection to MVD by 25 min. Copa is putting us up in a hotel and can't get out to MVD till tomorrow afternoon. The 1 hour layover wasn't enough....gotta go with flow.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the USA-bound security check done by X-ray? or simply a hand search? The latter is pointless, and it seems easy to keep a bottle of water purchased at the airport rolled up in dirty laundry that will not be sifted through.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is the USA-bound security check done by X-ray? or simply a hand search? The latter is pointless, and it seems easy to keep a bottle of water purchased at the airport rolled up in dirty laundry that will not be sifted through.
It is a full TSA compliant security check, with scans of both carry-on bags and pax.

Not sure where you got the idea it was otherwise.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:52 pm

Baggage

We will fly Copa in November from St Martin to Panama City, Panama, then United to Houston, Tx to Las Vegas, NV. We just had a schedule change.
1. We now have a 50 min connection in Panama City, my husband needs a wheelchair. Is that enough time to get from Copa to United? Do we have to do any more security checks?
2. Will Copa check our bags all the way through to Las Vegas? Do we pick up in Houston for customs and then recheck?
Thank you for any info.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
We will fly Copa in November from St Martin to Panama City, Panama, then United to Houston, Tx to Las Vegas, NV. We just had a schedule change.
1. We now have a 50 min connection in Panama City, my husband needs a wheelchair. Is that enough time to get from Copa to United? Do we have to do any more security checks?
2. Will Copa check our bags all the way through to Las Vegas? Do we pick up in Houston for customs and then recheck?
Thank you for any info.
1. 50 min should be plenty. Both are in the same terminal and there is no additional security check. Even if the gates were far from each other, it should not be more than 10 minutes walk.

2. Well, this is difficult to answer. I recently flew SJO-PTY-CUN and a week later CUN-PTY-MEX. In both cases I was on different tickets and had OLCI behind me for both legs. In the second case they checked the luggage through and transfer was a breeze. In the first case, though, the agent at SJO could not do it, so I had to "enter" Panama (i.e. regular immigration and customs check), check my luggage and proceed. Everything was fast and smooth, but it nevertheless added about 30 min to the transfer (I had plenty of time). With 50 min available that would turn your transfer into a race against time. Unfortunately, you'll depend on the competence of the CI agent at St Martin, unless everything is on one ticket in which case they'll check your luggage for both legs and... go to answer #1
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KLouis
1. 50 min should be plenty. Both are in the same terminal and there is no additional security check.
At PTY, there is an additional security check at the gate for all US bound flights.

50 minutes is ordinarily ample time at PTY, the only thing that might worry me here is how long it will take you to get off the aircraft, since you will presumably have to wait for everyone else to offload for them to bring the wheelchair on. If there's a later UA flight that works for you (and there may not be), you might see about changing. UA should change the ticket for free if you explain the wheelchair issue.

Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
Copa will check them through. You will then clear US immigration and customs at IAH, which means collecting and rechecking your bags.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
...Copa will check them through. You will then clear US immigration and customs at IAH, which means collecting and rechecking your bags.
What I wrote above happened 3 weeks ago. Yes, they will most probably check them through, only in my case, this was not so in SJO !!!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:55 am

Thank you all, this is a big help. Appreciate your time.
Ellen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.