Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
everything here is correct-- 45 mins would be reasonable- 1 hr better. the recently opened new terminal has 10 gates and it is a little walk. (6-10 mins to get to main terminal) the subway sandwiches restaurant has reliable free wifi. US bound flights do require extra security at gate. Most connections are very easy/straightforward. The recently renovated Copa club is similar to UA clubs.. I hear the new one even has showers. duty free is so so. PTY is a great place to connect to most central america and south america- and there are also a few caribbean flights.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by worldtraveler19
US bound flights do require extra security at gate... duty free is so so. .
+1 on the duty free. I have yet to find any bargains (though I am not much of a shopper).

Here is a general warning about buying duty free liquids (i.e. booze) at your originating airport and the transferring through PTY on US-bound flights. (Ex: MDE-PTY-IAD and buying duty free at MDE):

With the US-required extra security at the gate, you cannot bring liquids on board. If you buy liquids at your originating airport, you won't be allowed to bring them on with you at PTY unless you somehow have access to your checked luggage. You can buy duty-free at PTY, because they will give you the liquids on the jetway, just like in the USA.

This would apply to any airport that has secondary screening at the gate, not just PTY.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coolcoil
+1 on the duty free. I have yet to find any bargains (though I am not much of a shopper).

Here is a general warning about buying duty free liquids (i.e. booze) at your originating airport and the transferring through PTY on US-bound flights. (Ex: MDE-PTY-IAD and buying duty free at MDE):

With the US-required extra security at the gate, you cannot bring liquids on board. If you buy liquids at your originating airport, you won't be allowed to bring them on with you at PTY unless you somehow have access to your checked luggage. You can buy duty-free at PTY, because they will give you the liquids on the jetway, just like in the USA.

This would apply to any airport that has secondary screening at the gate, not just PTY.
Absolutely, I just lost a bottle of water at secondary screening in HKG. They've taken them from me in MEX and BOG, too.

As far as I can tell, virtually all imported consumer goods are more expensive in Panama than in the US. Except they did have a pretty good deal on a Longines watch at the PTY duty free. They were willing to bargain off the sticker price.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Given how easy transferring at PTY appears to be I am wondering if a 3 hour connection would be enough time to leave the airport? The canal looks mighty close on the map... If this appears feasible, do you have any recommendations as to where to go?

If 3 hours is too short to leave the airport, could anybody tell me what the Copalounge is like?

Many thanks in advance for your input!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Given how easy transferring at PTY appears to be I am wondering if a 3 hour connection would be enough time to leave the airport? The canal looks mighty close on the map... If this appears feasible, do you have any recommendations as to where to go?

If 3 hours is too short to leave the airport, could anybody tell me what the Copalounge is like?

Many thanks in advance for your input!
It's not enough time to leave the airport. Don't even think about it. You need a minimum of five or six hours to visit the Canal. It's literally on the far side of Panama City from the airport. The traffic can be horrific.

The Copa Club is pretty poor IMO. It was still under construction last time I was through there in October.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not enough time to leave the airport. Don't even think about it. You need a minimum of five or six hours to visit the Canal. It's literally on the far side of Panama City from the airport. The traffic can be horrific.
+1. Unfortunately, there is nothing near the airport to see. Even the big mall that provides shuttle transportation requires about a 4 hour layover (and if you've seen one mall, you've seen them all). Definitely not worth leaving and experiencing the hassle of immigration.

The Copa Club is pretty poor IMO. It was still under construction last time I was through there in October.
The club renovation is not finished, but there is no visible construction going on. They put a properly finished wall in the elevator area. I asked if the temporary entrance was now going to be permanent, and was told that they still planned to return the entrance to its original location.

I will add that I have eaten at the sit-down restaurant at the end food court twice in the last two months - once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both meals were pretty good. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I think it's something like "Margaritaville." It's sort of Jimmy Buffet themed.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:40 am

Many thanks for the advice. Staying at the airport it is then.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:41 pm

I will add that I have eaten at the sit-down restaurant at the end food court twice in the last two months - once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both meals were pretty good. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I think it's something like "Margaritaville." It's sort of Jimmy Buffet themed.
Margaritaville sounds right. Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.

I typically get the cheap empanadas from the coffee place that's next to the Haagen-Daz shop. Not exactly gourmet, but they serve the purpose.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Margaritaville sounds right. Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.

I typically get the cheap empanadas from the coffee place that's next to the Haagen-Daz shop. Not exactly gourmet, but they serve the purpose.
I do the exact same thing when I'm in PTY!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

No one hangs out in the COPA lounge then I take it?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
The food offering in the Copa Lounge doesnt do it for me, so I go upstairs for empanadas.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:06 am

Depends on the crowd and whether the wifi is functional. It's a total zoo in there for large portions of the day.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:12 am

I'm usually there during a layover. Unless you're hungry, it's still pretty much the best option. If it's a zoo in the lounge, that means the rest of the airport is busy and the Airport's free wifi will be slow too. At least you can get a decent chair and a free drink.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:39 am

Great, many thanks for all your input.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:46 pm

I'm usually there during a layover. Unless you're hungry, it's still pretty much the best option. If it's a zoo in the lounge, that means the rest of the airport is busy and the Airport's free wifi will be slow too. At least you can get a decent chair and a free drink.
Agreed. It's actually a nice space when it's not totally packed.

The only thing I would add is there's another lounge down by the Dunkin' Donuts that takes Priority Pass. The space is less appealing, but it's also less crowded with better wifi and free liquor if that's of interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.