Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB to CPT, which side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

JNB to CPT, which side of the plane?

Is there a "better" side to be on for better views? We are flying next Aug, if winds or anything else matters. Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Spring and summer wind in Cape Town means a south-easterly wind will likely be blowing, meaning an approach from the north for landing on runway 19. Sitting on the right hand side is likely to get you a view of Table Mountain when making the left hand turn for final approach.

If there is a northerly wind blowing all bets are off. August is not quite spring, so it could go either way.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I suppose for the JFK-JNB, the side of the plane does not really matter, right?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by xyz99
Thanks. I suppose for the JFK-JNB, the side of the plane does not really matter, right?
You'll be looking at sea for most of the flight! Landing in JNB doesn't give much of a view.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

That's what I thought, too. Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:37 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
For a flight in December, which side would you recommend? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
For a flight in December, which side would you recommend? Thanks!
Same as evanb said below. There's a very high probability of SE winds in December in CPT.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If you can get the view of table mountain, it's pretty neat to see.

Although the opposite side offers the wineries if that sort of thing appeals to you.

Again, concur with the others that there is not much difference on the way up to JNB.

JFK-JNB: I would take the right hand side for those occasional views of the coast. We had more exposure on IAD-DKR-JNB so this might be moot for the non stop flight.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I think I would prefer the Table Mountain view. Just keeping my fingers crossed for "good" winds.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:48 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I would choose right hand side any day:
If the wind is southerly, you'll get the Table Mountain view (which I like as it is 'coming home'). And if the wind is northerly, chances are relatively high that it is cloudy and there is little to see.
And if you land in a northerly direction and it happens to be clear, the view of the mountain is not nearly as spectacular as you'll see it 'side on': from there it is not recognisable as Table Mountain (to the uninitiated that is).
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, makes sense to me.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Flying from MUC to CPT in F,have seat 2A. Arriving January 23. Should I switch to 1K?(2K is already booked).
Thanks in advance. 6/8 seats are already booked in F on my flight! so only 1A,1K are still open. Airbus 340-600.
Since I fly home from JNB later in my trip this is my only chance to get a good view as we approach CPT.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Flying from MUC to CPT in F,have seat 2A. Arriving January 23. Should I switch to 1K?(2K is already booked).
Thanks in advance. 6/8 seats are already booked in F on my flight! so only 1A,1K are still open. Airbus 340-600.
Yes!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:54 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Since I fly home from JNB later in my trip this is my only chance to get a good view as we approach CPT.
Late January you'll have an extremely high probability of Southerly winds and thus the iconic view of Table Mountain from the right hand side of the aircraft.
So I would certainly switch to 1K if I were you!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Late January you'll have an extremely high probability of Southerly winds and thus the iconic view of Table Mountain from the right hand side of the aircraft.
So I would certainly switch to 1K if I were you!
Arrived on Emirates this morning. Sat on the right and had a great view of Table Mountain, Lion's Head and the city on approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.