Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

What's better Oman Air A330 Business Class or Qatar 787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I will be travelling from Sri Lanka to Europe and am seriously considering to cancel my Qatar ticket because they use A320/A321 from Colombo to Doha with that old Business Class product (just recliner seats, not much space) while Oman Air flies both legs with an A330 and their lie-flat business class product.

On the other hand I would then of course not be flying the beautiful QR 787 business class on the second leg. Difficult to decide!

If you have already experienced both products what would you recommend please? Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:46 pm

Easy: WY (J) over QR (J).

WY J has a classic 1-2-1 F seating. I hate all that staggered, herringbone, yin-yang crap at all.

WY crews seems to be more relaxed and human compaired to QR.

BUT!

I don't know your European destination but why not consider UL? Their business class has 2-2-2 seating and almost all of their 330 have the new total-lie-flat-porduct.

Should you go with WY, I still have 2 gold upgrade vouchers expirering Jan 2015 sitting in the drawer. If you care for let me know.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Fan2502.

Sri Lankan is a good idea but they are too expensive on my travel date. From Nov 2014 they fly with brand-new A330-300s and the seatmap on GDS shows a 1-2-1 seating in C. Will be interesting to get more info on this new product.

Thanks but won't need the vouchers as the Y fare that is able to be upgraded is only marginally less expensive than the C saver fare.

Anyway ... currently Oman Air does not accept my credit card online (some strange error message appears) and over the phone they quote a fare that is nearly double price. My CC is for sure good. I've read on the web that many people have the same problem. Nobody in the call centre can help and my cry for assistance on their website section has never been attended too. No good first impression unfortunately. Let's see if someone takes care of this middle-age problem.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:18 pm

If those 2 upgrade vouchers were received moving from silver to gold on the wy sinbad ffp then i believe those ones can be used to upgrade to business from any revenue generating economy ticket,just need a confirmed booking and ring the Sindbad service centre to upgrade,gotta pay some taxes though.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Book WY through Expedia or another online TA. The A330 with WY in J is a superb experience and the Majan lounge in Muscat is small but very nice, no problems getting your complimentary massages and spa treatments. You will not regret.
WY also yes the 737 on the CMB route so watch out for that.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Speaking of which, they have announced new destinations, MNL and CGK, yet I can't book on their website. Some sites already have shown WY flights to/from MNL/CGK with a note "pending government approval".

Update: CGK and MNL are fully functional for online booking at omanair.com.

Last edited by vincewy; Aug 28, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:47 pm

Oman Air is quite nice and for me the deciding factor is the 1st flight having a true business class seat compared to QR...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Donegal
Anyway ... currently Oman Air does not accept my credit card online (some strange error message appears) and over the phone they quote a fare that is nearly double price. My CC is for sure good. I've read on the web that many people have the same problem.
I'm using AmEx and it went through (I live in US).

Quite often it's your credit card company setting up defence against charges abroad to prevent fraud, call your credit card company first to allow transactions in certain countries and merchants (in this case WY).

Yes, certain D (discount business) fares can only be found on the airlines' website, especially with stopover and/or open-jaw, nowhere else, not even third party online booking sites where you'd pay at least €500 more as soon as one short segment/flight goes from D to C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.