Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover in Amman

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Flying back on BA yesterday from AMM, I noticed that the rest area near reception is now a Men's prayer area. The old prayer room appears to be in use too.

I did notice some recliners in an open bright area towards the end of lounge on the same side. I did see a few people stretched out on leather sofas nearby.
Yeah,the staff told me about it,but I did not spend lots of time around in the last few trips,so did not check it out in person.

PS: We missed each other by 7 hours,I was flying to HKG.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
PS: We missed each other by 7 hours,I was flying to HKG.
Sorry that I missed you. Would have been good to meet.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: JGC premier
With regards to the free hotel, does this only apply for RJ to RJ connection? I am planning a 21 hour layover on a DONE3 ticket, arriving in AMM at 00:10 with RJ and connecting to BKK via DOH at 21:15 with QR. OWE if that matters. Will i be entitled to the free hotel, and failing that, is it possible for me to stay in the lounge straight after arrival till 3-4am when my planned tour pick up starts? I assume that my baggage will be checked through all the way to BKK.. thanks in advance
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
With regards to the free hotel, does this only apply for RJ to RJ connection? I am planning a 21 hour layover on a DONE3 ticket, arriving in AMM at 00:10 with RJ and connecting to BKK via DOH at 21:15 with QR. OWE if that matters. Will i be entitled to the free hotel, and failing that, is it possible for me to stay in the lounge straight after arrival till 3-4am when my planned tour pick up starts? I assume that my baggage will be checked through all the way to BKK.. thanks in advance
Sorry,not many good news from me:
1)No, you don't get a free hotel because you are not connecting RJ>RJ;
2)No, you can't use the lounge on arrival because we don't have a mixed arrivals/departures flows and passing thru transit security after arrival and then trying to get out WILL lead to troubles,unless there is a good reason for it (going to the lounge is not considered as a good reason).
3)I don't know if QR has online check in ex AMM (many airlines like BA,A3 and TK have OLCI,but when flying from AMM it would let you select a seat and get a SEQ number,but not print out the BP). That means that you will have to visit the counter,which opens 3 hours prior to departure;
4)You mention a tour pick up...even if you were flying RJ all the way and got a free hotel, you would not be able to leave the hotel grounds (there is a strict control at the hotel gates).
5)If getting to the lounge early (after the tour) is important for you,you should get RJ directly to BKK (1:25/2:25 departure). As an OWE you would then be able to use the RJ premium check in,which is separate from the rest of the terminal and lets you check in at anytime.
6)You mention that your tour guide will pick you up at 3-4AM. If you are not too tired you can chill in the Starbucks in Arrivals (after customs). It has a "dimmed lighting" ambiance and would be deserted (like the whole airport) at that time. Just order a cup of something every 90 minutes or so.

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Jan 28, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Sorry that I missed you. Would have been good to meet.
I am sure we will definately bump into each other...one day...somewhere on the OW network...or PM when you pass by AMM next time

Regarding the sleeping/rest area, I have checked this week and yeah as you said, the old rest area, behind the reception is now a male prayer area and the rest area moved to where "Hamleys kids playing area" was. The downside is that the new area is too bright for sleeping, so definitely get a sleeping mask if you want to use it. On the other hand, this area of the lounge has very low traffic,so much quieter.

That said,I find that the most comfortable place to chill is the TV suites with the ottomans.

PS: Rumours have it that Menzies will open a new lounge in AMM for pax on airlines handled by them , including BA. I never thought that the words "lounge hopping" and "AMM" could ever be in one sentence.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Sorry,not many good news from me:
1)No, you don't get a free hotel because you are not connecting RJ>RJ;
2)No, you can't use the lounge on arrival because we don't have a mixed arrivals/departures flows and passing thru transit security after arrival and then trying to get out WILL lead to troubles,unless there is a good reason for it (going to the lounge is
not considered as a good reason).
3)I don't know if QR has online check in ex AMM (many airlines like BA,A3 and TK have OLCI,but when flying from AMM it would let you select a seat and get a SEQ number,but not print out the BP). That means that you will have to visit the counter,which opens 3 hours prior to departure;
4)You mention a tour pick up...even if you were flying RJ all the way and got a free hotel, you would not be able to leave the hotel grounds (there is a strict control at the hotel gates).
5)If getting to the lounge early (after the tour) is important for you,you should get RJ directly to BKK (1:25/2:25 departure). As an OWE you would then be able to use the RJ premium check in,which is separate from the rest of the terminal and lets you check in at anytime.
6)You mention that your tour guide will pick you up at 3-4AM. If you are not too tired you can chill in the Starbucks in Arrivals (after customs). It has a "dimmed lighting" ambiance and would be deserted (like the whole airport) at that time. Just order a cup of something every 90 minutes or so.
thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about lounge, just wanted to use it to save on hotel cost since i can only stay max 3-4 hours anyway but anywya, is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to check my baggage and get my boarding pass all the way through to BKK since everything is on 1 ticket and technically it's a transit less than 24 hours?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:43 am

thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about lounge, just wanted to use it to save on hotel cost since i can only stay max 3-4 hours anyway but anywya, is there a reason why I wouldn't be able to check my baggage and get my boarding pass all the way through to BKK since everything is on 1 ticket and technically it's a transit less than 24 hours?
...because RJ...and unless it's a very straightforward transit I would not guarantee anything. Not saying that it's a 100% chance that they will not entertain your request,but I am not very optimistic.

Which station are you flying RJ from?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:49 pm

...because RJ...and unless it's a very straightforward transit I would not guarantee anything. Not saying that it's a 100% chance that they will not entertain your request,but I am not very optimistic.

Which station are you flying RJ from?
flying from LHR..
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:38 am

flying from LHR..
Oh...unfortunately I have a lot of experience with RJ@LHR ,or rather with Menzies,the handling agent and they are hopeless unless it's a very straight forward transit (they say they can't even change the seat on the 2nd sector for example). I hope they will entertain your request, but I would not raise my hopes. I would appreciate if you let me know what happens at the end!

Welcome to Jordan by the way!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:11 am

Oh...unfortunately I have a lot of experience with RJ@LHR ,or rather with Menzies,the handling agent and they are hopeless unless it's a very straight forward transit (they say they can't even change the seat on the 2nd sector for example). I hope they will entertain your request, but I would not raise my hopes. I would appreciate if you let me know what happens at the end!

Welcome to Jordan by the way!
will do, but i'm afraid it'll be another 5 months before I can report! as I am planning to travel there in late June and am just still researching the best route
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:20 am

will do, but i'm afraid it'll be another 5 months before I can report! as I am planning to travel there in late June and am just still researching the best route
Not trying to avertise RJ,but seriously flying RJ to BKK will help.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:14 am

Not trying to avertise RJ,but seriously flying RJ to BKK will help.
lol, it's just that I took QR BKK-DOH before and absolutely loved it; Never got to try their supposedly fantastic lounge though due to the short stopover which isn't available to non QR passenger, so thought I should try it this time round How's the experience on RJ compared to QR on BKK route, if you've had it before?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:23 pm

lol, it's just that I took QR BKK-DOH before and absolutely loved it; Never got to try their supposedly fantastic lounge though due to the short stopover which isn't available to non QR passenger, so thought I should try it this time round How's the experience on RJ compared to QR on BKK route, if you've had it before?
It's difficult for me to compare, because being a regular on RJ,I know the staff and perhaps get slightly different service. Otherwise QR with onboard lounge/bar and direct aisle access is probably better.

If you are really keen on flying QR to BKK ,why not get RJ on LHR-AMM-DOH and DOH-BKK on QR. In that case, even if you can't thru check baggage you can get a BP/check the baggage immediately after arrival from LHR (at the RJ premium check in). Also that premium check in is a much more pleasant experience than normal lane (no fast track immigration/security on QR).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:51 pm

Would love to, but the problem is the connection is not as good, with later departure at 2:50 am, longer transit and much later arrival. I love premium experience but time is just as important for me. Anyway thanks for the feedback and will let you know what happens in a few months' time.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
A question for Rami Tamimi, please.

I might be passing through AMM to BKK in the New Year. I see there is a 6 hour stop in AMM on the return.

I am aware of the RJ provision for lay overs of more than 8 hours from your previous posts.

I seem to remember that there is a transit hotel near the gates that are often used for the BA flights but cannot seem to find any details of it or how to book in advance or costs for walk up etc.

Can you help please?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.