Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Egyptair LHR to KUL via CAI and BKK in Biz question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Dear All

Egyptair is offering great fares in Biz Class from LHR to KUL via CAI and BKK (transit). I have a few questions before booking though:

> I would also like to know on the CAI/BKK/KUL flight and rtn if passengers can get off the plane during the transit at BKK and visit the lounge.

> What Biz Class lounges is MS using in BKK and KUL (I know it is SAS at LHR T3)?

> Which is the nicest/best of the MS lounges at CAI for the layovers?

> Is the seat 180 degrees flat and do any other airlines have the same seats in Biz Class?

I tried the MS 'chat' function on their website and the agent could not answer any of my questions.

Regards and THANKS

Mccarri
Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: * Alliance Gold
They let all the passengers off during the transit in BKK. I used the Royal Orchid lounge in Bangkok.
As for KUL, as far as I remember the lounge belonged to Malaysian Airlines, I don't remember what it was called.
For some reason most lounges in CAI terminal 3 (the one used by Egyptair and other star alliance members) look the same to me so no preference there. I usually just use the one closest to the gate.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You get booted off the aircraft for the BKK transit. Not the best arrangement as it means you need to go up to the departures level, and through security before you get back on the flight.

The lounge at BKK is Thai, at KUL it's Malaysia. And the MH lounge is very nice indeed.

At Cairo you are "allocated" a lounge - the one closest to your gate. Well, that's the theory: you should have no problem finding the least crowded lounge. They are all very similar, perfectly comfortable.

No alcohol in the Cairo lounges, but there's a bar in the public area.No booze on board MS, either.

Barring a miracle you'll get comfortable but not-quite-flat seats.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
When I flew BKK-KUL, it didnt seem that the pax offloaded off the plane had enough time to visit any lounge - the gate was D5, and closes lounge at D1 was a bit of a walk. But I guess, you do have almost an hour, so you could go to a lounge if really wished.

BKK-KUL, only about 10 new people boarded, J was empty - a nice full meal on the short segment (see below)

Here is the seats on the 77W which go full flat, and the meal from BKK-KUL.

Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:12 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
At Cairo you are "allocated" a lounge - the one closest to your gate. Well, that's the theory: you should have no problem finding the least crowded lounge. They are all very similar, perfectly comfortable.
Agree - you can use any lounge.

My trip report here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ankruptcy.html
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
When I flew BKK-KUL, it didnt seem that the pax offloaded off the plane had enough time to visit any lounge - the gate was D5, and closes lounge at D1 was a bit of a walk. But I guess, you do have almost an hour, so you could go to a lounge if really wished.
MS's KUL<->CAI passengers (normally) have to follow the transit path at BKK to the departure level after getting kicked off the plane. This places them in the shopping/eating/lounging area. For those not wanting to feed Kingpower, and not too anxious to mill around in the departure gate, the lounge provides an alternative. It also gives the opportunity for a drink before embarking on a dry night to Cairo
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold
The lounge in BKK also has shower facilities which were very useful after having a long day in KL.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:08 pm

Offoading at BKK

What's the rationale of offloading passengers at BKK when it's the same aircraft that continues to KUL and it's just a 1 hour pit stop?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
What's the rationale of offloading passengers at BKK when it's the same aircraft that continues to KUL and it's just a 1 hour pit stop?
Local or international security/safety regulations? (a further round of scans and baggage inspections is included).

It's also a crew change. And it gives BKK/Kingpower a great opportunity to flog more duty free - so maybe it's part of the commercial T&C for airlines using BKK.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:05 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The lounges at CAI are not super exciting.

Nice furnishings in a dark, business-y decor.

Meagre catering with no alcohol (like the carrier). The food was not super desirable either.

You may experience a "been there, done that" sensation after visiting.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Local or international security/safety regulations? (a further round of scans and baggage inspections is included).

It's also a crew change. And it gives BKK/Kingpower a great opportunity to flog more duty free - so maybe it's part of the commercial T&C for airlines using BKK.
It's something more than just security if MS requires it. I have been on ET, ADD-BKK-CAN and we were not required or really even encouraged to get off the plane in BKK. The ground crew came on, did a vacuuming of the floor and they re-catered. It was less than an hour in all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.