Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Int'l Egypt Air connecting to Saudi Air in Jeddah

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Hey there,

We have a flight coming in from Cairo via Egypt Air to Jeddah and out of Jeddah 2hr20 later en route to Johannesburg. From what I've gleaned from other posts, this is cutting it a little tight because the North Terminal (where I'll presumably be arriving) is 20km from the South Terminal (where I'll be presumably be departing). This is probably exacerbated by a lack of English speaking personnel on hand in Jeddah. So basically I'm looking for any and all suggestions for how to expedite the process. Obviously, we won't be checking any bags but, at this point, the flight is non-refundable, non-transferable so if we were to miss it we'd incur some pretty sizable additional costs (ie, we'd need to buy a new ticket).

Luckily (I hope) our flight is arriving at 2:15 AM (out 4:35 AM) so foot traffic shouldn't be too formidable. If anyone has any suggestions regarding getting through the customs process (I'm assuming we'll need to clear since we're exiting the airport to go to the South Terminal), getting a cab to the other terminal and getting checked in for our connection it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JH
Old May 28, 2010, 11:27 am

Marhaba JH.

You're right.
The S.Terminal is about 20 km from N.T.

BUTo I understand it right,that your Flight to JNB is also with MS ?
Then,you'll be on Transfer,so no need to leave the Terminal.
If you have to leave the Terminal,you'll need Visa for KSA.

South Terminal is only for Domestic&Saudi Air Intl.only
Old May 28, 2010, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moeser
Marhaba JH.

You're right.
The S.Terminal is about 20 km from N.T.

BUTo I understand it right,that your Flight to JNB is also with MS ?
Then,you'll be on Transfer,so no need to leave the Terminal.
If you have to leave the Terminal,you'll need Visa for KSA.

South Terminal is only for Domestic&Saudi Air Intl.only
Our flight from CAI-JED is via MS (Egyptair) but our flight from JED-JNB is with SAA. So it will be leaving from the South Terminal right? We don't have visas. Is this a problem? Please advise.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:00 pm

Aah,SAA (South African )

The N.Terminal is used by''All Foreign Airlines''.
No need to change the Terminal.
You'll be in Transit,insh'allah .ergo,no Visa needed.

Terminal S.was exclusivly only for Saudi Air(SV ) and is since 2007 also for NAS & SAMA.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by moeser; May 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm
Old May 28, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I think I maybe be confusing my acronyms.

By SAA, I meant Saudi Arabian Airlines (not South African) so I will be departing from Jeddah on Saudi Air. Again, to clarify, I'll be arriving via Egyptair. My layover is 2hr20 and I have no transit visa. Any suggestions?
Old May 30, 2010, 2:49 pm

Is it a cooperate flight ?
For KSA you'll need a Saudi Visa.
If your way back s also over JEDDAH (jED),you need a Multi Entry Visa.
It usually takes 14 Days.
Without a valid Visa,boarding wll be denied in Cairo(CAI).
I strongly recomend to check with MS&SV(Saudia) if there is any special Procedure for Transfer Passengers.
Without avalid Visa,you can't enter KSA.
They are very restrictiv.
Keep me informed.

BR
Old May 31, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Hellman, unless the entire journey is on one ticket (NPR), I think you may have problems transiting in Jidda. If you have a ticket CAI-JED that is distinct from the onward Saudia ticket to South Africa, I am almost certain that the agent will need to see a Saudi Arabian entry visa prior to allowing you to board the aircraft in Cairo. Saudi visas are NOT something easily obtained BTW.

If, however, your SINGLE ticket shows a transfer in Jidda, you will not 'enter' the country. MS or SV will transfer you from the North Terminal to the South Terminal -- believe me, there is no way you will be able to get into a taxi to go from North to South. While it certainly isn't 20 km (perhaps 10 at most), getting there by taxi involves traveling along a freeway that parallels the runways.

I'd advise you to sort this out PRIOR to attempting to board the MS flight in Cairo - it'll be major hassle (if not impossibility) for you if the entire journey isn't on one ticket.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I'd recommend getting a transit visa, whatever... if you miss the connection or the flight is cancelled, you won't be able to leave the airport without one.

Originally Posted by pacman3
believe me, there is no way you will be able to get into a taxi to go from North to South.
Do you mean in this specific case? I've taken a taxi between the two terminals several times.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by typical
I'd recommend getting a transit visa, whatever... if you miss the connection or the flight is cancelled, you won't be able to leave the airport without one.

Do you mean in this specific case? I've taken a taxi between the two terminals several times.
I thinkPacman meant without a Visa.
You know how difficult it is,to get a Visa for KSA,even a Transfer Visa
and how long it could take.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:36 am

Jeddah as a connecting point

Definitely, Jeddah is not a good connecting point between Cairo (CAI) and Johannesburg (JNB). Moreover, in case of using multiple tickets for connecting flights, there will be a risk of potential problems in case of late arrival of the delivering carrier.
Simply, two separate tickets mean two carriage contracts. On the other hand, the participating carriers shown on ONE ticket covering all flights from the origin (CAI) to the destination (JNB) will be responsible for any possible delay, mis-connection, or layover.
What about flying with Kenya Airways through Nairobi, or with Ethiopian through Addis Ababa?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
Im sure it would have been cheaper, and much easier flying MS directly from CAI-JNB and back
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Yes, I was referring to the specific case of the traveler attempting to transit in Jidda on two separate tickets without a visa to enter the country. I don't believe there is a way that he'll be allowed to board the aircraft in Cairo on a CAI-JED ticket without an entry visa of some sort (call it 'transit' or whatever!).

I concur that, if any way possible, the OP will save himself LOADS of grief by avoiding an attempt to transit in Jidda. It simply won't happen - he won't make it out of CAI without a Saudi visa.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:06 am

Flying nonstop

I am supporting the opinion of FlyingPharaoh about flying nonstop with Egypt Air from Cairo to Johannesburg.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:08 am

Exclamation

It would be nice to hear from the OP about the outcome of his issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.