Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Q re Jumeirah / Sirius tier upgrade policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

Given the unbelievably low volume of Jumeirah traffic on FT I am not hopeful of getting any response to this thread - lets see if I can be proved wrong!!

I am currently a Blue Sirius member.

We have a big stay in an Al Qasr suite lined up for Easter. In theory, this will probably just about generate 4,000 tier points (ie $12,000 spend before tax and service) which is the qualifying amount for Gold.

However, it is not clear from the website if it possible to go from Blue to Gold. Will I instead be simply upgraded to Silver on the back of earning 1,500 points, and my tier points reset to zero, with the remaining 2,500 points being wasted?

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 4, 2010 at 9:12 am
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumpy bump - surely someone on FT must stay with Jumeirah?!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Given the unbelievably low volume of Jumeirah traffic on FT I am not hopeful of getting any response to this thread - lets see if I can be proved wrong!!

I am currently a Blue Sirius member.

We have a big stay in an Al Qasr suite lined up for Easter. In theory, this will probably just about generate 4,000 tier points (ie $12,000 spend before tax and service) which is the qualifying amount for Gold.

However, it is not clear from the website if it possible to go from Blue to Gold. Will I instead be simply upgraded to Silver on the back of earning 1,500 points, and my tier points reset to zero, with the remaining 2,500 points being wasted?
Hey Raffles

Unless they have changed their policy April '07, the answer to your question is yes - the remaining 2500 points will be wasted.

This is exactly what happened to me when I took m family for a stay at the JBH in '07. My spend was not as much as your forthcoming outlay, but I ended up going to silver with the additional TP's above the 1500 mark being extinguished...which is lame.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PT, SPG Gold, Amex PT
Not sure about "extinguishing" tier points, but my understanding is that all Sirius points are valid for 2 years (my March 2008 points are expiring soon).

Originally Posted by camille55
Hey Raffles

Unless they have changed their policy April '07, the answer to your question is yes - the remaining 2500 points will be wasted.

This is exactly what happened to me when I took m family for a stay at the JBH in '07. My spend was not as much as your forthcoming outlay, but I ended up going to silver with the additional TP's above the 1500 mark being extinguished...which is lame.

Hope that helps
I just got back from a long weekend stay at Mina A'Salam, which booked through a tour operator so no Sirius points earned on the stay (despite the fact that we had 12 rooms and spent about $100k on the team's trip).

I found my answers on the Sirius website (https://www.jumeirah.com/en/Sirius/Earn/):

"Earning Tier Points

Tier Points can be earned on all full price room stays and dining [i.e. no tour operator packages will qualify]. Your Tier Points however are not redeemable and cannot be earned on promotions and offers.

Tier Points Required

Blue 10 - 1,500
Silver 1,501 - 4,000
Gold 4,001+
Temporary members can be directly upgraded to higher Tier Status i.e. directly to Silver or Gold.

TIER POINTS REQUIRED
Temporary to Silver Status: Member requires 1,510 Tier Points
Temporary to Gold Status: Member requires 5,510 Tier Points
Blue to Gold Status: Member requires 5,500 Tier Points"

Seems to me that if you want to ensure Gold status, you'll need to spend another $4500 in Jumeirah properties (dinners, etc., exclusive of alcohol) for a total of $16,500. I'm sure there is someone at the Dubai office who can help clarify this, however, as it would be a shame to lose 2500 tier points.

Question: if there is some magic to this, why not check out of Jumeirah for a day (or check into a different Jumeirah property for one night), thereby triggering a deposit to your Sirius account once you hit (say) $4500 in spending, then go back and collect the remaining $7500 in spending on a "second" stay?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:05 am

Please note:
This account is used and operated by official Jumeirah staff.

Hello Raffles, Camille55 and Cbreeze.

Joining this thread ... and to clarify the issue raised, all Sirius members, on every upgrade or downgrade, have their Tier Balance reset to ‘NIL’. However, should a member be renewed in the same tier for another membership term only then is the required number of tier points taken off and the balance retained. This is the policy and carries a mention in the terms and conditions. Please visit the Sirius website at www.mysiriuscard.com

Earning Tier Points

Tier Points can be earned on all full price room stays and dining [i.e. no tour operator packages will qualify]. Your Tier Points however are not redeemable and cannot be earned on promotions and offers.

Tier Points Required

Blue 10 - 1,500
Silver 1,501 - 4,000
Gold 4,001+

Temporary members can be directly upgraded to higher Tier Status i.e. directly to Silver or Gold.

Temporary to Silver Status: Member requires 1,510 Tier Points
Temporary to Gold Status: Member requires 5,510 Tier Points
Blue to Gold Status: Member requires 5,500 Tier Points

Hopefully this clarifies your concern…

Kind regards,
OfficialSirius
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi OfficialSirius

Thank you for your feedback, it is always good to have official programme representatives on FT.

I am slightly confused by one thing. You mention above that 'Blue to Gold' requires 5,500 tier points. I assume this must be in one stay, or I am I missing something?

I assume that the programme works like this (this is realistically what will happen to me this year):

April 2010 - spend $12,000 as a Blue member. Earn 4,000 tier points. Get upgraded to Silver as I have passed 1,500 tier points. Remaining 2,500 tier points go to waste.

November 2010 - spend $6,000 as a Silver member. Earn 2,000 tier points.

Even though I will have passed 5,500 tier points in one year, I assume I would still be Silver after the second trip, as your 'Blue to Gold for 5,500 points' example must be done in one stay?

I agree with camille55 - it is a bit poor that 2,500 points will go to waste. If this was a business trip then I would check-out of the hotel after a couple of nights and go to another Jumeirah property, in order to trigger Silver earlier and not waste points for the rest of the trip, but as I am on holiday with my children this is realistically not possible.

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 17, 2010 at 9:40 am
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:29 am

Please note:
This account is used and operated by official Jumeirah staff.

Hi Raffles,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of how the Tier upgrades work… to be upgraded instantaneously from the Blue tier to Gold tier, the member has to earn the required tier points in one stay or one transaction.

Our Gold Tier is very aspirational, and has many unrivalled benefits. Amongst many others:

• Free access to our Club Executive Lounge, whether you stay in a Jumeirah property or not.
• Complimentary airport transfer when staying at a Jumeirah property
• Upgrade to next catogary
• Complimentary full breakfast for 2

On behalf of Jumeirah & Sirius I would like to thank you for your input, and we will definitely take this into consideration when reviewing our loyalty programme.

Kind regards,
OfficialSirius
Old May 2, 2010, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by OfficialSirius
[I]
Our Gold Tier is very aspirational, and has many unrivalled benefits. Amongst many others:

• Free access to our Club Executive Lounge, whether you stay in a Jumeirah property or not.
Does this mean that as a Sirius Gold member, I can visit a Sirius property like Jumeirah Essex House and enjoy their lounge for no charge, even if I am not a hotel guest? Do I just show my Gold card?

Thank you
Old May 9, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by jgsx
Does this mean that as a Sirius Gold member, I can visit a Sirius property like Jumeirah Essex House and enjoy their lounge for no charge, even if I am not a hotel guest? Do I just show my Gold card?

Thank you
One would think so, but the t&c's exclude the Burj and Essex House. Furthermore, the 2 Jumeirah properties in London do not have a lounge anyway, so this "benefit" is of no use there either.

I enquired into this very point recently and discovered that the only club lounges are at some, not all, of the Dubai properties.

Its really not that much of a benefit...unless one happens to be in vicinity of those properties in Dubai.

Perhaps OfficialSirius would care to respond or enlighten us? For example, as to whether any club lounges will be opened at more properties, etc,.

If so, could OS also take the opportunity of confirming if any new benefit will be coming online, now that the "Meet&Greet" at DXB has now been axed?
Old May 9, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camille55
If so, could OS also take the opportunity of confirming if any new benefit will be coming online, now that the "Meet&Greet" at DXB has now been axed?
They now offer free airport transfers instead - no minimum stay needed in DXB, 4 nights (I think) in London and New York - according to an email I got last week.

PS. If OfficialSirius reads this - I received my Silver card last week, along with the vouchers to use in London / New York / Dubai. However, the vouchers expire on 30 June 2010. This is not hugely useful unless they expect me to be travelling in all these 3 places in the space of 7 weeks.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: FB Gold; OnePass Plat; Hertz PC; Sixt Plat; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Do you guys know if OfficialSirius is still looking at this forum ? I have a question to ask him regarding Amex complementary sirius gold membership,

Thanks,
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Profile shows last activity Oct 2010. However, you could try a PM as they may have configured their FT account to trigger an email when a PM is received.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: FB Gold; OnePass Plat; Hertz PC; Sixt Plat; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Profile shows last activity Oct 2010. However, you could try a PM as they may have configured their FT account to trigger an email when a PM is received.
Well he did not even allow PM so I believe there is no way to contact him ...

Anyway i will try to find the answer on my own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.