Wiki Posts
Search

EU Compensation Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
EU Compensation Question

Sorry as I know there are a flood of these. I was supposed to fly from BRU-KEF-ORD today on WOW air, but they sent me a cancellation email due to "operational reasons" they cannot allow me to board my flight from BRU. The flight from BRU to KEF was only delayed by an hour (late departure YUL-KEF then KEF-BRU), but enough to cause my misconnect and therefore this cancellation notice. The next flight would be the next day, so I took the cancellation option for refund, and am using miles to get home.

Am I also due the additional 600 euro for the delay/cancelled flight? Or am I only entitled to the refund?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended

I'm in the same boat

With Ryanair. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1857854-did-ryanair-screw-me-out-compensation.html

Ryanair initially said once I accepted the refund EU261 was no longer in effect. But I pointed out the refund was offered one week after my flight, so I had no other option. Waiting to see their response.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Mines is slightly different in that I actually received a cancellation email of my flight segments, but the actual flights were just delayed. I even took a picture of an email Ground Ops sent to BRU contractors saying the flight left way too late and do not board a large list of people.

From http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm "If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation." The way I read this is compensation and refund are two different things in a cancellation case. I think in case of a delay it may just be compensation.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Correct. There are some differences, but in the end its the same question:

"If I accept a refund, under what circumstances (if any) can I also claim compensation?"

The challenge is that you have to ask the airlines and its not in their interest to pay out!

Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Mines is slightly different in that I actually received a cancellation email of my flight segments, but the actual flights were just delayed. I even took a picture of an email Ground Ops sent to BRU contractors saying the flight left way too late and do not board a large list of people.

From http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm "If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation." The way I read this is compensation and refund are two different things in a cancellation case. I think in case of a delay it may just be compensation.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
A court in Hamburg last week ruled that a passenger who doesn't wait for the replacement flight is to be compensated. An Amsterdam-Hamburg flight was cancelled, with the replacement taking place the following day, but the passenger booked other travel to get themselves to Hamburg in time, as they had to be there for work reasons.

I am not aware of similar case law in any other jurisdications. Even in Germany, this is reported as a reversal of the understanding of the regulation.

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 14, 2017 at 2:54 am Reason: fixed link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.