Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Lost luggage after stressed-out agent makes a mistake and I don't double check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Starting with TLDR:
Flight with Ukrainian Airlines: LGW -> KUN (via KBP with 21 hour layover)
Told by agent to pick up my luggage in KBP and check-in it again for my next day flight to KUN. Baggage gets lost. Turns out there is not even a tag on it. Fill-out PIR. Anything more I can do?

Long story:
So it's my third lost baggage in the last year (one recovered after 3 days, while I got the other one after 1 day). This time already 3 days passed and it doesn't really look I am getting it back.

I arrived to Gatwick airport well before the flight and started to stand in lane with around 90-100 minutes left to the flight, once it was 40 minutes before the departure they still had 30-35 people in lane with just one counter operating for god knows why. They suddenly decide to open more counters. Some lady keeps on shouting that all the bags need to be on the conveyor in the next 5 minutes. Everyone is freaking out, including my check-in agent who even shouts on a small child for him to shut-up, drops someones documents on his counter desk in frustration. Then it comes to me I ask him about luggage and he tells me that I need to pick-it up in KBP and check-in again. Then he forgets to hand me my passport. I tell him about it and he handles it to me with a boarding pass.

I rush to the security check and the gate since it's just 30 or so minutes remaining. I get very lucky and get to the gate with 20 min remaining. Flight is being delayed. I notice that my ticket is missing a small glued paper that shows info about my checked-in luggage.
I can't really go back as Ukrainian counter is closed already and I don't even know if I have enough time to do so. So I just go to KBP.

My bag is obviously not there, go to the lost luggage office and they say I never checked-in luggage. Two agents refuse to fill out PIR.
Almost takes 2 hours and a super nice young lady to finally fill out the PIR form.

I have a lot to proof I checked-in bag: photo of it standing on conveyor with a weight displayed, I have a picture of contents what are inside, there is a piece of paper with my info in the suitcase and I even have a recording of check-in agent accepting my luggage and telling instructions on how I should retrieve it during my layover.

So yeah. It's my fault too. I am not too hard on myself though because situation was not a typically one and human error happens.

The thing is - I just need to get my baggage. There is nothing valuable in there besides Ipad 4 mini (which I really don't care about as I never use it) but there is basically all the clothes and shoes I own amounting to $3000 and are almost impossible to replace in Europe since it's mainly merino wool USA made stuff with some outlier.cc

What more could I do to make sure I did absolutely everything?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by beirut
...What more could I do to make sure I did absolutely everything?
Just make sure, after replacing all your clothes, that you never pack all of your merino wool clothes in a single bag, especially in the summer when it's usually hot. Anyway, I'm certain that from now on you'll never forget to ask for the luggage sticker. Since the airline will almost certainly not be in position to find an untagged piece of luggage, as you correctly assume, perhaps a trip to Gatwick's lost and found may help you...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Anyway, I'm certain that from now on you'll never forget to ask for the luggage sticker. Since the airline will almost certainly not be in position to find an untagged piece of luggage, as you correctly assume, perhaps a trip to Gatwick's lost and found may help you...
Oh yeah. For sure - will never leave from now check-in desk before making sure I've got it right.

Actually Gatwick's lost and found has the "Lost Property" online tool running. I have filled it out 3 days ago as well. Debating if I should fly to Gatwick myself tho.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:26 am

I have a lot to proof I checked-in bag: photo of it standing on conveyor with a weight displayed, I have a picture of contents what are inside, there is a piece of paper with my info in the suitcase and I even have a recording of check-in agent accepting my luggage and telling instructions on how I should retrieve it during my layover.
Just out of curiosity, is this usual for you? Apart from the paper inside I never do any of this.

One thing I do that you don't mention is I keep a photo of my bag on my phone to send to anyone looking for it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Just out of curiosity, is this usual for you? Apart from the paper inside I never do any of this.

One thing I do that you don't mention is I keep a photo of my bag on my phone to send to anyone looking for it.
Nah, I just usually keep a paper inside. But this time I had a feeling something is going to happen since some of the people were standing for over 90 minutes in check-in lane and Ukrainian airline check-in agents seemed to have lots of problems.

By the way - how do you send a photo for someone looking for it?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

By the way - how do you send a photo for someone looking for it?
Email would be easiest.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Email would be easiest.
Thanks ft101. I did end up following your suggestion.

I contacted Ukrainian airlines and a lady named Anna (Agent #21 ) helped me out. She was freaking incredible and is solely responsible for this outcome. She called both KBP and LGW to ask on updates and later offered to write me an e-mail with all the details/pictures and she will have her colleagues going in to check for a luggage based on the description.
Later in the evening I received a call from Gatwick and they did indeed find my luggage and it was actually tagged (just not with my name).

And a day later I have it here with me. I am such a luckbox. Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And a day later I have it here with me. I am such a luckbox. Thanks.
Glad to hear it worked out!

It's a reminder to all, though - make sure you see them attach the luggage label to your bag, and make sure it's checked through to the destination you were expecting. And don't leave the check-in desk without the luggage receipt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.