Search

Vueling is going to overbook me

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EUROBONUS SILVER
Vueling is going to overbook me

Hello Guys,

Big Chance that Vueling is going to overbook me on the last flight leaving from brussels. 1 Xl seat left at checkin. And i dont want to pay for it. What are my legal rights? Can i chose a hotel to my liking? Can i ask them to put me on a brussels airlines flight the next morning? The last 2 times i just took their voucher hotel proposal and waited more then 12 hours. I want to know my full rights here.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Ask for the flyer with the EU261 rights. Sometimes they're a bit cheeky about including delays there, but also remember a delay over 3 hours is effectively a cancellation as far as compensation is concerned.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It costs them more to deny boarding than to op someone up to an XL seat.

You cannot demand any hotel you want but as airlines often have contracts with many hotels in the cities they serve you can request a specific one or a general area if you'd like. I've done this when delayed as I prefer being back in the center of town when delayed so that there is something to do besides get drunk at the airport hotel bar.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Ask for the flyer with the EU261 rights. Sometimes they're a bit cheeky about including delays there, but also remember a delay over 3 hours is effectively a cancellation as far as compensation is concerned.
That is irrelevant in case of denial of boarding. Even if the airline puts you on an alternative flight that would get you to your destination earlier, entitlement to compensation is automatic in case of IDB regardless of any delay. The only caveat is that the compensation can be reduced by 50% if the delay is below a threshold specified in the Reg (less than 2 hrs for flights of 1500 km or less).

In case the airline denies boarding to the OP, and assuming the flight is unde 1500km, the OP would be entitled to compensation of €250 (potentially reduced to €125 if rerouted to arrrive less than 2 hrs after original scheduled time) in addition to right to care (=hotel if overnight stay required, meals and transport to/from hotel if applicable + 2 phone calls).
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As the topic of this thread does not contain an IB Plus angle and instead relates to Vueling operations, we'll move this over to the Other European Airlines forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing to worry about yet. Air carriers overbook passengers every day. Few are actually oversold because confirmed passengers misconnect, get drunk in bars, get stuck in traffic jams or simply do not show up.

But, on the limited chance that you are unlucky and your overbooked flight is actually oversold and that you are the unlucky passenger who is involuntarily denied boarding, under EC 261/2004:

1. You are due compensation for the denial of boarding. That is due even if you are moved to another flight which arrives earlier or at the same time.

2. You are due a "duty of care" if you are required to overnight or if delays take you through reasonable meal times. But, you do not get to select the hotel or the value of the meal, especially if the carrier provides a voucher.

3. You may be due cancellation (delay) compensation depending on the length of the delay at your final ticketed destination.

VY has an obligation to rebook you. But, there is no requirement that it rebook you on another carrier although it may make economic sense to do so if VY can avoid the cost of an overnight and possible delay compensation.

Alternatively, you are always free to negotiate with VY. EC 261/2004 expressly permits that and many people would find it preferable to get home that night to having a bit of money in their pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.