Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor Airlines???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Condor Airlines???

I am looking to book some summer travel. Amazingly, Condor Airlines has the best schedule for me in terms of arrival and departure times as well as layover times. They also are several hundred dollars cheaper than the big boys.

Apparently, they used to be Lufthansas' cheaper subsidiary, but now they are owned by Thomas Cook. But, I have no knowledge of them and I realize that there are often drawbacks to very discounted prices. Cheap is not my goal, the best value overall is. And value includes things like comfort, reliability, and how they handle problems such as bad weather delays and mechanical problems.

What, if any, are your experiences with Condor?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
...Condor Airline....they also are several hundred dollars cheaper than the big boys.
<snip>
Cheap is not my goal, the best value overall is. And value includes things like comfort, reliability, and how they handle problems such as bad weather delays and mechanical problems.
From where to where, what class and when?
Remember you get what you pay for. They are low cost - charter for a reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_Flugdienst
Economy Class
Condor's long-haul Economy class is offered on all Boeing 767 aircraft. All seats have a 30-inch (760 mm) seat pitch[40] with a 17-inch (430 mm) width. The middle seats are slightly wider 2-inch (51 mm) than non-middle seats.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i work for the company that own's Condor.

They are pretty standard tbh, what route and class are you looking at.

However Condor (DE) is Scheduled Thomas Cook (MT) is charter
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
What, if any, are your experiences with Condor?
My experiences with Condor are rather old and go back to the early 90s (or even late 80s) when Germany still had multiple airlines flying mainly on holiday routes (back then you had Condor, LTU and Hapag Lloyd Flug).

My overall impression was: It's an airline. You got the usual airline service, but Condor wasn't something to write home about it.

If the fare is very low, go for it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Have flown them several times...PDX-FRA not long ago. The 30" pitch isn't luxurious, but I don't recall feeling any more cramped than I do on any economy TATL flight. Bag and meals included, unlike FI. PE seems a reasonable price increase for the increased comfort. Flights on time, efficient, friendly crews IME.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've heard good reviews for them out of PVD going to FRA, great option for a short hop from the East Coast. Not sure I would consider them off of the west coast.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reviews of Condor from people who paid their money to fly them, seem to be all over the map. Personally, I toss out any reviews that are much over 2 years old. There are so many changes being made that I don't think they are relevant anymore.

Most of the reviews are negative, but I expect that since most people who have had a good experience don't bother to write much praise. However, the latest reviews of the last 6 months seem to tilt very strongly in a negative direction.

The impression I am getting is that if everything goes well, as planned, it's OK. But, if a problem happens (weather, mechanical difficulties, staffing issues) then there is very little for the passenger to fall back on. Also, staffing issues come up quite frequently in terms of inadequate and/or unhelpful staff.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

So Condor is a charter service for Thomas Cook.

Hmmm......
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmmm......
Did you see post 3?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Nope. Condor does scheduled flights. Think of it like this: Condor somewhat used to be to Lufthansa, what Edelweiss is to Swiss. It's a leisure airline and targets primarily holidaymakers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

OK, got it on their status.

So, the question in my mind remains "What has been the experience of people who paid for their ticket and used Condor?"
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, the question in my mind remains "What has been the experience of people who paid for their ticket and used Condor?"
From where to where, what class and when?
Remember you get what you pay for.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Other European Airlines Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

The negative reviews were on other websites like this one:

http://uk.whattheflight.com/airlines...r-thomas-cook/

As I said, people who are upset about something tend to post more reviews, IMHO. I feel I can trust FT people more than other groups which I why I asked the questions here.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. After careful consideration I decided to pay a bit more for Air Canada. Maybe I am tossing a few hundred dollars out the window. Or maybe I am avoiding a major headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.