Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Trying to understand Ryanair's checked baggage rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've got a family of 5 flying Ryanair between the British Isles and we bought one "business class" seat because we thought we might need to check a little luggage (we're otherwise flying "legacy" airlines around Europe with more generous baggage rules). One of the perks of business class is 20 KG of checked bags. I assumed that weight had to be in one bag, but Ryanair's rules say this:

"You can check-in up to two bags once you have purchased a checked baggage allowance of either 15 kilos or 20 kilos when you make your initial booking."

So could we actually check 2 bags for free if their combined weight is under 20 KG?

The reason this matters is that, this way, 2 members of our party could travel with their regular "USA sized" rollerboards and then check them with Ryanair (not having to worry about whether they meet the carry-on size restrictions).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've got a family of 5 flying Ryanair between the British Isles and we bought one "business class" seat because we thought we might need to check a little luggage (we're otherwise flying "legacy" airlines around Europe with more generous baggage rules). One of the perks of business class is 20 KG of checked bags. I assumed that weight had to be in one bag, but Ryanair's rules say this:

"You can check-in up to two bags once you have purchased a checked baggage allowance of either 15 kilos or 20 kilos when you make your initial booking."

So could we actually check 2 bags for free if their combined weight is under 20 KG?

The reason this matters is that, this way, 2 members of our party could travel with their regular "USA sized" rollerboards and then check them with Ryanair (not having to worry about whether they meet the carry-on size restrictions).
I don't see Ryanair providing any checked luggage with Business plus. Did you buy "leisure plus", since that includes 20kg luggage?

I do agree with your reading of the rules about carrying multiple bags, but it's quite vague and partially contradictory (seeing as they advertise 1x20kg bag in the buying process). I'd strongly reccomend contacting them, and ideally get written confirmation that you can check 2 bags witha total of 20kg.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
and we bought one "business class" seat because we thought we might need to check a little luggage (we're otherwise flying "legacy" airlines around Europe with more generous baggage rules). One of the perks of business class is 20 KG of checked bags.
If you mean "business plus" (there is no business class on Ryanair; it is a single-cabin configuration) then there is no longer a checked luggage component. For a short time after this fare family was introduced it did include a 20kg baggage entitlement, but this is no longer the case, and only "Leisure Plus" now includes a free checked luggage component.

Check the confirmation sent at the time of booking; you may NOT have a checked baggage allowance with your "Business Plus" ticket. If it was included at the time of purchase, this will be honoured.

regular "USA sized" rollerboards
Unless your children work in removals or are keen skateboarders, I think you mean rollaboard.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ler-board.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
in my experience, if you paid to check a bag, the check-in agent will ask if you want to check your carry-on for free. When my husband and I travel, we always pay for one bag but then get to check in both rolling bags and carry on our small tote and backpack.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QuinCy
in my experience, if you paid to check a bag, the check-in agent will ask if you want to check your carry-on for free. When my husband and I travel, we always pay for one bag but then get to check in both rolling bags and carry on our small tote and backpack.
That's what they did for me! I don't know if it's in the rules, though.

And, yes, when we bought our one business class ticket, they were throwing in the free luggage. I see that's now how they're doing it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.