Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP Portugal - Exit row seat for StarAlliance Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi,

I am struggling to understand the pre-assignment seat policy with TAP for passengers with status from another StarAlliance Airline.

Are exit row seats bookable for free? Or is this only if you have status with TAP?

Is there any way to book a seat online? I have tried but couldn't find an option. It's a TA booking by the way.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You can do it through the Portuguese version of TP's website.
Click on "Gerir Reserva" in the middle of the page, enter your PNR and last name, and once it opens, you should be able to select your seat.

Google translate is your friend.

Failing that, the only other way to get exit rows is at check in at the airport
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
You can do it through the Portuguese version of TP's website.
Click on "Gerir Reserva" in the middle of the page, enter your PNR and last name, and once it opens, you should be able to select your seat.

Google translate is your friend.

Failing that, the only other way to get exit rows is at check in at the airport
I'm afraid there is no option in manage my booking, or at least I can't see it :-( Perhaps it's because it's a TA booking...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I'm afraid there is no option in manage my booking, or at least I can't see it :-( Perhaps it's because it's a TA booking...
If you're using the Portuguese site and still can't find it, then it must be your fare class. Call them (you can call through skype: tap.contact.center) and have them assign it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

If you're using the Portuguese site and still can't find it, then it must be your fare class. Call them (you can call through skype: tap.contact.center) and have them assign it.
But would I be entitled to an exit row as Star Alliance Gold (non Tap)?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
But would I be entitled to an exit row as Star Alliance Gold (non Tap)?
I've never had problems getting one.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:05 am

I just got exit row seats confirmed through the English version of the website without any Status. I think they are preparing to sell special advance seat assignments in the near future.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulev
I just got exit row seats confirmed through the English version of the website without any Status. I think they are preparing to sell special advance seat assignments in the near future.
It must be something to do with my booking, which is via Amex. No option to choose seats via the website.

The call centre said they couldn't give me an exit seat. I called twice and was given two different reasons.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Up to February 2nd, Star Gold could reserve exit rows on TAP in advance. That has now been ceased by TAP. In true Star Alliance fashion, as Lufthansa have done previously, this is now possible for TAP *G members only. All others, including non-status passengers, can assign exit rows for €20. It's a pain, but then on the other hand, my LIS-MUC this week was packed except for the 2 seats next to me in the exit row.

How Star can still really be called an Alliance, I do not know. More and more member airlines are discriminating against other *G status holders. For my regular routes the only remaining benefit of my *G status is lounge access. Since I get that with Priority Pass anyway, I no longer have any incentive to book TAP or LH.

The new aircraft TAP is deploying also have reduced legroom (29"), fitting for example 10 instead of 9 rows before the exit in an A319, which is the same as Easyjet and less than Ryanair, so with no tangiable benefits and higher pricing, there is no longer the incentive to fly them at all.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The new aircraft TAP is deploying also have reduced legroom (29"), fitting for example 10 instead of 9 rows before the exit in an A319, which is the same as Easyjet and less than Ryanair, so with no tangiable benefits and higher pricing, there is no longer the incentive to fly them at all.
Transavia then for MUC-LIS?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Transavia then for MUC-LIS?
MUC-FAO is my frequent route, and yes, Transavia from March. No frills but they don't pretend to be anything else. Their front row and exit seats are also cheaper than TAP despite my *G status.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:51 am

And WHEN was free access to exit row seats EVER listed as a *G benefit?

I dont recall it... so how does this reflect badly on *A???

I have NEVER been denied any PUBLISHED benefit.. Lounge...Extra baggage etc....If you have then you have grounds for complaint... but Exit Row seating? No.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by trooper
And WHEN was free access to exit row seats EVER listed as a *G benefit?

I dont recall it... so how does this reflect badly on *A???

I have NEVER been denied any PUBLISHED benefit.. Lounge...Extra baggage etc....If you have then you have grounds for complaint... but Exit Row seating? No.
Oh come on. Individual member airlines have been progressively tailoring their schemes to favour their own members over alliance partners. ASR for *G used to be a TP benefit and it no longer is. It's not a general *A benefit but as an A3 member it incentivized me to fly TP over LH who removed this benefit years ago.

Take also the mileage you receive for given flights on some member airlines. A business class flight on Lufthansa P class will give you 100% in M&M but zero in A3, TK and other schemes. In an alliance, levels awarded would be equal across all members. In *, it's what LH tell them to publish, subject to change at any time. Other alliances are not quite as bad.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Hello, I can't select any seat for three different reservations unless I pay for it.
I've tried to contact TAP by using the website form and Skype for weeks and they never replied.
Today I called them and they have no clue of what Star Alliance is nor being a gold member. The lady on the phone just said that the system shows that I have to pay and that's it.
I asked for a customer service email address and she said they don't have any.
It must be the only Star Alliance airline charging Gold members for seat selection, anyone can help?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Protocol7
It must be the only Star Alliance airline charging Gold members for seat selection, anyone can help?
No, they are not. If you read this thread you would know that!

You are not entitled to a free exit row seat unless, perhaps, you are *G in TAP Victoria. But as you appear to be with TK, then you would be expected to pay for an exit row seat.

Free exit row seating is not a Star Alliance benefit. (Free advance seat reservation is not even a *G benefit)

You should familiarise yourself with TAP's fare families. Most of the Economy fares require payment for ANY seat. All require payment for exit row seats - both shorthaul and longhaul.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 14, 2017 at 7:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.