Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entitled to compensation or not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Entitled to compensation or not?

Hi, hope you guys can help me on this one...
In May this year I booked a trip from Brussels to Brazil on the TAP website.
The itinerary out was a BRU-LIS flight departing on 31/10 around 10am, followed by a LIS-SSA connection later the same day.
On 21/10 (10 days before departure) I looked up my reservation and found out that the BRU-LIS flight schedule had changed, leaving us with a connecting time of "minus 2 hours and 10 min" in Lisbon (meaning we would arrive when our intercontinental flight was already gone). I have a copy of this, 'cause I thought it might come in handy later on ;-)
We immediately went to the airlines desk at the airport, and they rescheduled us on a flight BRU-LIS on 30/10 leaving BRU around 7pm, basically 15 hours ahead of our original schedule. Hotel in Lisbon was paid by the airline.
Does this entitle us to compensation based on the European regulations? We were not informed 14 days upfront (actually, we were not informed at all...) but the reschedule didn't result in a delay, rather in having to start our trip 15 hours earlier. What do you think?
Many thanks!!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you know when the airline actually made the schedule change, as opposed to when you discovered the problem?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The airline accommodated you well, and you got a free night to visit Lisbon.

I'd say they did a pretty good job. I wouldn't try to squeeze more money out of them.

But YMMV.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by e.tasinato
What do you think?
Nothing due under EU261.

No cancellation (where the 14 day notice period might kick in). No delay. Customer accepted (earlier) re-scheduling.

Good on TAP for sorting things out in what sounds like a professional, customer focussed manner.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you know when the airline actually made the schedule change, as opposed to when you discovered the problem?
No idea I'm afraid...

ft101, I also have the impression that this doesn't fall into a delay, nor a cancellation case. However, this claims agency seems to think otherwise:
http://www.claimit.be/faq/ (see FAQ #6)

So now I am wondering...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.