Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Seems a ORK-BOS will be announced tomorrow in a coup for the once declining airport. Rumour seems to suggest Norwegian.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Seems a ORK-BOS will be announced tomorrow in a coup for the once declining airport. Rumour seems to suggest Norwegian.
Any source for the rumor?

If DY, too bad its not EI running it - some connections on the ORK end and a lot of B6 connections if timed right.

I just think DY would be better put running a plane on ARN/MAD/BCN-BOS than ORK.

EDIT: Found this https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/statu...41852299268096

Last edited by adambisi; Sep 24, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Its in various media and on Twitter. Also it could be EI with a 757. A few weeks ago I did see someone normally in the know make a coded remark on a closed forum who hinted it would be EI.

I guess all revealed tomorrow in the press when the said airline allows the announcement.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/st...68188178919424

I went through the html to get the picture. DY definitely appears to be mentioned but who knows.

Will pray for it to be EI before bedtime tonight.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

ORK-BOS new route to be announced tomorrow

First Cork to US flights set to depart next year

Cork Airport is to operate its first scheduled transatlantic flights in 50 years, with Norwegian Air set to offer flights to Boston three times per week.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/first-cork-to-us-flights-set-to-depart-next-year-355847.html
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Wow!!

Just, wow!!

Originally Posted by Evening Echo
If successful the airline will also consider starting flights between Cork and New York in 2017.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Now confirmed by Cork Airport

Originally Posted by Cork Airport
Cork Airport has warmly welcomed today’s decision by Norwegian to launch Cork’s first ever scheduled transatlantic services.

Norwegian has announced today that it plans to operate a direct Cork-Boston service from next May and that it also intends to launch a new Cork-New York service in 2017. A Cork-Barcelona service is also planned from May 2016.

The new short and long-haul routes announced today comprise:

A Cork to Boston service planned for May 2016 with 4-5 flights per week
A Cork to New York service planned for 2017
A Cork to Barcelona service planned from May 2016 with 4-5 flights per week

The airline plans to operate its new Cork transatlantic services with a narrow bodied Boeing 737-800 aircraft and the new Boeing 737MAX when it becomes available.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold,HH Gold, Flying Club Gold, SAS Gold
Norwegian to fly TATL from Cork Airport

http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/pressreleases/norwegian-announces-plans-for-low-cost-direct-flights-from-cork-to-boston-new-york-and-barcelona-1224497
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:54 am

Will it have pre-clearance?
Sofiemak likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm not sure whether the logistics have been thought through. They are planning to operate the route with 737-800s. Leaving aside comfort questions (as I gather Norwegian isn't big on comfort anyway), ORK-BOS is within 600 miles of the range of that plane, so it will need to be fuelled close to maximum, but then a 737 at maximum take-off weight needs 2400m of runway and ORK is just shy of 2200m. They're going to need to run them short of the maximum pax capacity, at least.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thebouncer
http://media.norwegian.com/en/#/pressreleases/norwegian-announces-plans-for-low-cost-direct-flights-from-cork-to-boston-new-york-and-barcelona-1224497
Already under discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...-tomorrow.html
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
I'm pretty comfortable saying "No". I highly doubt they're going to base CBP agents in Cork for 4 weekly flights. Shannon has 3 flights a day to the U.S. through most of winter and more in the summer.

Besides, they'd have to completely re-design the setup at ORK because in the current setup I have no idea where they'd fit pre-clearance facilities.

For me it's not really an option anyway as I don't really go to Boston and hesitate to book Norwegian in the first place. TATL on a 737 is not something I'm eager to experience.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by rpjs
I hope not. I would hate going through pre-clearance and then be subjected to DY's customary 12+ hour delays.
(Granted, those long delays are for their 787 routes, but I doubt they'll be much better at operating transatlantic 737s on time)
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:02 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As this service will be operated by Norwegian I am moving this to the "Other European Airlines" forum.

starflyergold
Aer Lingus forum mod team
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I hope not. I would hate going through pre-clearance and then be subjected to DY's customary 12+ hour delays.
(Granted, those long delays are for their 787 routes, but I doubt they'll be much better at operating transatlantic 737s on time)
it looks like the average departure delay on LGW-JFK is 25 mins

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ghtNumber=7015

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.