Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Dear forum members I need your advice regarding an unfair Denied boarding by EasyJet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear forum members I need your advice regarding an unfair Denied boarding by EasyJet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Dear forum members I need your advice regarding an unfair and possibly unlawful Denied boarding by EasyJet.

I hold a UK Travel Document (Refugee's, 1951 Titre de voyage) which allows me visa free travel up to 90 days within the Schengen area – Pursuant to European Agreement on the Abolition of Visas for Refugees (CETS No.031)
http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/Co...CM=&DF=&CL=ENG

I booked an EasyJet return flights to Geneva using the above mentioned Travel Document . On the departure day I went to the EasyJet check in desk to obtain a boarding pass, the lady on desk told me that people with Travel Document are not allowed on board without having a Schengen Visa.

I told her that I have been to Geneva and Paris last month without any problem and showed the stamps on my travel document; she replayed that there is a very recent change in regulation that happened 2 days ago only! I asked about a copy of that new announcement or new regulations; she called her supervisor who confirmed what she said to be true and that it is up to the passenger to check his eligibility to enter the destination before booking and that their decision is final.

I asked for a written confirmation that I have been refused boarding for visa reason which she wrote by hand and signed with my booking reference written on top.

I asked British airways and Fly Emirates customer service and both confirmed that I can fly they even gave me a ticket offer and a printed copy of something called TIMATIC system that confirm my eligibility to fly visa free for up to 90 days to Switzerland.

I went back to the Easyjet costumer service desk And requested the manager to come and talk to me; the manager said that Easyjet has its own recent change in policy that doesn’t allow Travel Document’s holders on board without having a schengen, regardless of the regulation in place! (Unlike what they said before that a recent change in regulations happened).

I gave up and went to the BA Costumer Service desk and booked another out-bound ticket to Geneva then flyed back to the UK using my pre-booked EasyJet In-bound ticket.

I really feel that I should be compensated for all the extra expenses, inconvenience and waste of time I suffered because of something none of my fault given that

1) I did use my travel document when I booked online and EasyJet sold me the ticket and never stated anything about their own policy!
2) I have not been deniyed entry by the distination ....ry.
3) I have been unlawfully denied service
4) the airliner did not conduct in accordance with the law in the UK and EU

Members with experience kindly advice me what should I best do next?

Thanks

Last edited by Muhammad Alsaqqa; Sep 21, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
We are all at the mercy of the arbitrary rules that airlines impose.

Ryanair require passports for internal UK flights & flights to Ireland ... it's not a legal requirement (and other airlines don't require it) - it's just an arbitrary rule they impose.

I think the best you can hope for is a refund of the outbound ticket - on the basis that they didn't inform you that they had imposed a new rule.
But the refund process may be long and painful.

Good luck
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Do you have a passport as well, or only a "UK Travel Document"?

Unfortunately, many LCCs set far more rigid restrictions on the papers you must have for travel than do the countries involved.

I would have thought that you would have to have a Swiss Work Permit to be allowed to legally work in Geneva - even if just for a few days.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/work-permits/29191706
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EasyJet requires a passport for all travel outside the EU and a passport or a National Identity Card for all travel to outside the UK but within the EU:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/prepa...-documentation

BA only requires the documents required by the destination (and connection) countries. TIMATIC is the IATA database which explains in plain language the requirements so that an air carrier employee can figure them out.

But, EasyJet has chosen to apply stricter standards than it must. This may be easier for them, but excludes all manner of people who may lawfully travel, but lack documents not required by any law. That's EasyJet's choice.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Ryanair require passports for internal UK flights & flights to Ireland ... it's not a legal requirement (and other airlines don't require it) - it's just an arbitrary rule they impose.
No they don't. https://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/do-i-need-a-visa/
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Gaza
I stand corrected

But I think that list nicely illustrates my point about airlines imposting arbitrary rules !
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Emirates from London to Geneva!

Must have been a pricey ticket offered - and is a real detour to travel from UK to Switzerland via Dubai!

I guess the LCCs are very scared of fines as their business model has no room to account for them

If they get a fine of a few thousand pounds, dollars, euros or Swiss francs for transporting an INAD, it really hurts them. Not that these fines don't hurt BA, EK etc too...

Hence some LCCs don't accept people with unusual travel documents...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
We are all at the mercy of the arbitrary rules that airlines impose.

I think the best you can hope for is a refund of the outbound ticket - on the basis that they didn't inform you that they had imposed a new rule.
But the refund process may be long and painful.

Good luck
Thank you for your replay. Your point is correct; I did use my travel document to buy that ticket so Easyjet already KONWS that Im using it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
EasyJet has chosen to apply stricter standards than it must. This may be easier for them, but excludes all manner of people who may lawfully travel, but lack documents not required by any law. That's EasyJet's choice.
Thank you for your replay. I think I will need discuss the legality of having such stricter rules (this has nothing to do with standards!) with my solicitor. By law you cant deny customer a service without a reason.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groundops
I guess the LCCs are very scared of fines as their business model has no room to account for them

If they get a fine of a few thousand pounds, dollars, euros or Swiss francs for transporting an INAD, it really hurts them. Not that these fines don't hurt BA, EK etc too...

Hence some LCCs don't accept people with unusual travel documents...
Thank you for your replay. I dont think this is the right way for Easyjet to avoid getting a fine anyway! nor that other airliners will risk having a fine for sake of saling a single ticket.

travel document is not unusual! laws and rules set decades ago and stated in a very clear language all visa requirments.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
This is interesting, let us know how you get on
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Muhammad Alsaqqa
By law you cant deny customer a service without a reason.
I'm not sure about that.

I can think of areas where the seller is quite at liberty to refuse to deal with a potential buyer (excludes reasons of race, sex etc discrimination which is not being claimed here).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
I'm not sure about that.

I can think of areas where the seller is quite at liberty to refuse to deal with a potential buyer (excludes reasons of race, sex etc discrimination which is not being claimed here).
,In my case I wasn't a potential buyer, I was an existing customer who already paid and bought the service, then I was denied from using it.

this has only two possible interpretations:

1. discrimination against refugees! Unlawful ...
2. stuff lack of experience or hidden / unfair terms and conditions

In any scenario, this can never be the customer fault !!!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It took less than 30 seconds to find the link to the explanation of document requirements. The requirements are both clear and unequivocal.

I do not claim to have any knowledge of the reason behind the carrier's decision, but can say that one advantage to simple iron-clad rules is that check-in and boarding is expedited and training requirements are much lower. Rather than holding up a fast-moving line while an agent reviews TIMATIC, there is a binary decision for the agent as this is a UK-Switzerland flight, e.g., If the passenger has a passport, he may board. If he does not, he may not board.

This one is going to be tough for OP. But, will be interesting to see what his solicitor eeks out.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
As others have pointed out, the LCCs have their own terms and conditions. During the booking process at some point you checked a box saying you had read those terms and conditions and would abide by them before making final payment.
Are those terms and conditions fair and reasonable? Debatable, but there isn't much you can do about it. I don't think the OP has much of a case here and I doubt Easyjet is going to be responsive. It's not a question of the papers required to enter Switzerland, it's a simple issue of the contract conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.