Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

AirBaltic flight grounded as pilots and crew too drunk to fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Anyone hear about this? A crew from airBaltic showed up to work flight BT 7843 in OSL in a 'particularly merry' state. Turns out 4 of the 5 crew members, including both pilots, were drunk, with BAC levels of .20. Yikes!

Statement from BT:
"The Latvian airline airBaltic regrets to inform that its flight BT7843 from Oslo, Norway, to Chania on the Greek Island of Crete was delayed by 4:45 hours due to its crew removed from operating the flight. According to the currently available information, four out of five crew are under initial suspicion for alcohol abuse, and they are now undergoing a careful medical examination to determine the actual blood alcohol levels."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird...n-take-6216739
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:25 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Yeah, it was originally reported by Norwegian media. Apparently the hotel tipped off the police.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Good job by that hotel! I seriously hope more crews are staying there. I wouldn't want to find myself on a flight where everyone who's supposed to make sure I arrive safe, is drunk.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The co-pilot was almost seven times the legal limit, and has been jailed for six months.

The pilot was more than double the legal limit; he's still fighting the charges brought against him.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-alcohol-limit
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Excellent. I assume the captain will also be jailed.

Also, from the article

AirBaltic suspended the four crew members, following the failed breath tests and has said it is seeking their dismissal.
No more than reasonable. If I show up drunk at work I will also be dismissed instantly. And I don't have the direct responsibility for the lives of over 100 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.