Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair Economy Comfort vs British Airwarys World Traveller Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

We don't fly overseas often, but are going on a Baltic cruise this summer. Our best options are British Airways or Icelandair. We are planning to fly premium economy and comparing the two, BA is $400 more expensive per ticket (there are two of us.)

I was wondering if anyone who has flown both can provide a comparison to help us decide which to choose. We are flying Newark or JFK to Copenhagen and returning from Stockholm.

Thanks!

(Also posting to "British Airways" to see if we can't get some BA regulars as well.)
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by royalcanine
Hello,

We don't fly overseas often, but are going on a Baltic cruise this summer. Our best options are British Airways or Icelandair. We are planning to fly premium economy and comparing the two, BA is $400 more expensive per ticket (there are two of us.)

I was wondering if anyone who has flown both can provide a comparison to help us decide which to choose. We are flying Newark or JFK to Copenhagen and returning from Stockholm.

Thanks!

(Also posting to "British Airways" to see if we can't get some BA regulars as well.)

Have you compared prices for Saga Class on Icelandair to British Airways? I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I would definately take Saga Class over British Airways premium economy.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:32 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I note that this thread has been cross-posted to the BA forum.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Icelandair would be a more unique experience than BA and I would argue it's better value
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:19 am

Depends on what you are looking for. Saga, as another poster said, is their "business" class but it doesn't have lie-flat seats. Even premium economy has a seat blocked out for you in the middle (with a tray across it).
But the rest of Iceland Air is more like a budget airline, as they don't give you free food, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA
I have used both Iceland Air Premium Economy and British Airways World Traveller Plus many many times to Norway and elsewhere in Europe from Seattle:

Iceland Air:
The premium economy seats are coach style seats with the middle seat blocked and armrests moved into the center seat, so you get a couple more inches of width, but the same amount of recline as a typical economy seat.
The food in Premium Economy is snack like options like sandwiches, fruit, oatmeal, and other things. I'd bring a sandwich from home if you fly Iceland Air.
At your departure airport you'll have access to a fancy lounge with soup, snacks and drinks.
Flight connections are very quick at Keflavik airport in Iceland. You wait in a 10 minute line to have your passport stamped and then wait in line in a hallway at the gate to your next plane. They don't board in any special order of do many announcements. There's a lounge that you have access to on the European departure side of the airport, but it's always so crowded that I never go in there. I just stand in line at the next flight.

British Airways
World Traveller Plus seats are like the ones you'd find in First Class on a Alaska Airlines or Delta 737. Probably like most first class seats you'd find on flights inside the U.S. Lots of recline.
You need to pay to reserve your seat ahead for British Airways, otherwise you'll end up sitting apart from each other in middle seats due to the small cabin in World Traveller Plus.
Food is old fashioned three course airplane dinner and a boxed breakfast before you land in Heathrow. There's lots of food, no need to pack a snack.
Heathrow connections take a little longer due to security there, but there's lots of staff and they move people around very efficiently there. It's quite impressive. Also there's an awesome Wagamama restaurant in Heathrow that I always stop at when I connect there.

My recommendations:
I'd choose the Iceland option due to the cost difference. My favorite from Seattle is Iceland Saga Class, but that's usually too expensive in the summer. In the summer I fly Delta in Economy Comfort due to the price. I always choose a 3+ hr layover in Amsterdam because otherwise my bags often get delayed another day.

If you haven't looked yet, I'd check out Norwegian Premium Economy or SAS Plus options due to the cities you're flying from and to. We don't have those options in Seattle. Both of those airlines would provide good connections since they are the largest airlines in Scandinavia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.