Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International drivers license??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
International drivers license??

Hi guys.

Not sure where to post this but on another travel forum I visit there has been a a bit of chaos with a "new bill" in the US that has been passed in regards to International drivers licenses. People are saying now those outside of the US have to now have an international permit for renting cars?
I have looked at various car rental websites and have seen nothing about this. I asked Alamo and they said they haven't heard about it.
From what I have "heard" on the other forum it seems to have to do with accidents and or if you get pulled over by the police.
We got pulled over 2 yrs ago in Balitmore and they didn't give us any trouble with the license just asked which number was the actual drivers license number as Norwegian licenses do have various languages on the front of it saying the words "Drivers license"(including english).

The reason I ask is because IF in fact this is true my husband will need to get a permit as we go to Miami in April.

Anyone heard about this?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by nordictat2
Hi guys.

Not sure where to post this but on another travel forum I visit there has been a a bit of chaos with a "new bill" in the US that has been passed in regards to International drivers licenses.

The reason I ask is because IF in fact this is true my husband will need to get a permit as we go to Miami in April.

Anyone heard about this?
Hi Nordictat2,

An International Driver's Permit is not a license, it's merely a translation document of an individual's home country driver's license. This is important for driving in the US if your country's license is not in english. But, you do need to have your license with this permit.

Info I found.
Norway and the United States are both party to the 1949 International Convention on Road Traffic. Visitors from signatory nations may drive on the roads of other signatory nations using his or her own country’s license. The Norwegian Automobile Association (NAF - Norges Automobil-Forbund) nonetheless recommends that you have an international driver's license in addition to your ordinary drivers license for driving in all non-EEA nations. You can get an international drivers license from any NAF office, member offices as well as the main office.

Links to more information:
http://kna.no/medlem/reise-ferie/
http://norway.usembassy.gov/irc_faqs.html

As for renting, each company will have different requirements.
Alamo Driver's License Policy
  • International renters must present a valid license from their country of residence. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, an International Driver's Permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver's license.
  • If the driver's license is in a language other than English, but the characters are in English (i.e. alphabet is an extended Latin-based alphabet like German, Spanish, etc.), an International Driver's Permit is recommended but not required.
  • If the driver's license is in a language other than English and the characters are not in the English language (i.e. Russian, Chinese, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Hiya.

Thanks for that. We found this info. last night on Naf's website.

We have been to the US so many times and we have never had issues with my husbands drivers license so this really has him and I puzzled.
He will go and get on the permit from NAF but if you're not a member it's over $50....what a joke!

Also, a reply from a car broker says:
"We are aware of an ambiguous alteration to Florida driving laws, however when speaking to the suppliers none of them have confirmed that this is relevant to car rental.
We have asked them if it would effect insurances, which they have verbally stated it would not.
Of course, we would never withhold information from our customers, I think I should make it clear that over 2000 customers have collected vehicles this year without any problems, a small minority of these have been involved in accidents and remain fully insured."

I could totaly understand if the license was in say Chinese or Russian but the fact it does say "drivers license" in english" should be good enough. Anything to get more money I tell ya.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:40 am

I'm confused as well. By law, your license is all you need to drive here and Alamo's policy said renting was fine as the character's are in english letters, they are.

It seems the only issue could be about the US insurance requiring this but I only saw that on the kna.no website. I haven't found anything about this car rental or Florida DMV or travel websites.

Could you send an email to Alamo stating you are award you are legal to drive w/Norway license and you would like written confirmation that when you rent a car in Miami that your license is all that is required for the rental insurance to be valid and honored. It is the law to have insurance here and state that you are doing you due diligence to adhere to this requirement. Include an enlarged copy of the license in the email like this (From google images):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ng_license.png

If they send you a confirmation that you'll be covered, then just print a copy for your travels. I would think that if there was an issue with US car rental insurance then the website would disclose this and everyone would be required to have one as it is illegal to drive without insurance.

I'd also request a copy of the insurance policy to review.

Let me know if you get to the bottom of this.
Safe Travels.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Hi.

Well..it seems it's now "offical" and perhaps someone from Flyertalk should make an announcement on here or include this info. in their next newsletter as there are quite a few of on here outside of the US....

Customers that wish to drive in Florida without obtaining a Florida driver license will be required to have an International Driving Permit to accompany their out-of-country license. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The International Driving Permit must be in the customers name and from their country of residence.

This is the information from the Florida Statutes:

322.04(c)(1)Persons exempt from obtaining driver license-

(c) A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:

(2) An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

When did the law change, and why?
January 1, 2013. The purpose of the permit is for the English translation. Obviously, a license issued in the UK is already written in English, so the permit is admittedly a little redundant but that is technically the law at this point.

What will happen to drivers who drive without an IDP?
Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of 1/ arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail 2/ giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance.

Hope this helps,

Deputy Communications Director
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

I just can't believe rental companies haven't made ANY kind of announcement We're now into Feb. and this should of been addressed in Nov./Dec.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:31 pm

FT MOD

Originally Posted by nordictat2

I just can't believe rental companies haven't made ANY kind of announcement We're now into Feb. and this should of been addressed in Nov./Dec.
Holy Cow!
Wow! I would think these rental car companies then become liable to anyone who chooses to sue them if in an accident caused by a foreign traveler they rented to without one. They are basically renting to non-licensed drivers. I am so glad you got to the bottom of this and that you will be covered.

Outstanding on your part! Really, well done! You've just helped so many people!
All the best to you, Leafpile.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I have rented from Avis and Hertz in January 2013 in Florida without issue,
Foreign license
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leafpile
Holy Cow!
Wow! I would think these rental car companies then become liable to anyone who chooses to sue them if in an accident caused by a foreign traveler they rented to without one. They are basically renting to non-licensed drivers. I am so glad you got to the bottom of this and that you will be covered.

Outstanding on your part! Really, well done! You've just helped so many people!
All the best to you, Leafpile.
Yes, they are and for them not saying anything...I can't believe they let this go without mentioning it in any kind of newletters..just puzzeling.

Thanks Leafpile

bruceba
No matter how many times you have rented..as of 1st of Jan...the laws have changed and if you get pulled over by the police or are in a accident you "can" get in trouble for not having this! So if I were you...I would get one!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:46 pm

Hey Nordictat2 - NEW UPDATE

So rental car company's won't require it & Florida Highway Patrol are suspending enforcement until a final determination made. (Don't know about local police) Still don't know about rental coverage w/US insurance companies.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,3666462.story

"It has come to the Department's attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit."
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, I have read about this. After all that and making people panic! Florida is a lovely place to visit but some of their laws need fixing!
Like one law says you shall not shower naked lol. I guess I break law everyday when I'm in FL haha.

Oh well. We aren't buying any IDP's so we that has saved us some $$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.